A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    The add has a picture of a group shot against a bright sky. I wonder how much work went into eliminating the CA? Pheonix lenses all have CA problems. I know someone who bought a much short (and narrower range) tele-zoom. Wow, talk about CA!

Just took another look at the example shots. They were taken from two different locations! Nothing like truth in advertising!
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    rolleyes1.gif That'll make a nice, bright viewfinder image to set focus--which will probably have to be manual. Thanks, I'll just foot zoom.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    the other problem is..
    even if you can keep it steady eg not a puff of wind, you have the problems that all lenses have over 1000 mm, and that is AIR and everything floating about it in it.worse through cheap glass.

2X teleconverters,by and large, suck ,too.murkiness converters.good paper weights.

a zeiss 800 mm cat lens would be a better buy for some specific purposes,but not sport,maybe some really long nature shots and abstract stuff that i like.

yes ,i want an 800mm zeiss cat,but would not waste my money on what looks like this heavy,murky rubbish.no CA with cat lenses either.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    Cameta is one of the *worst* places I've ever dealt with. Even if they were the only ones selling the lens, I'd suffer without it. umph.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited September 12, 2006
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    Not that you'd expect 300/2.8 results from this thing, but dang! For what it is those are actually some decent results--how can you complain for 1300mm at $300? The softness & CA in the examples are no surprise. I especially like the sag in the lens zoomed out to 1300mm. eek7.gif

From B&H's site it sounds like a fixed-aperture, manual focus lens. That's one way to cut costs.

BTW, Herion, my one experience with Cameta was actually quite good. Won one of their auctions a few years ago to make my jump into digital. Sent the wrong memory card & made it right with no troubles.
  • Options
    herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    Not that you'd expect 300/2.8 results from this thing, but dang! For what it is those are actually some decent results--how can you complain for 1300mm at $300? The softness & CA in the examples are no surprise. I especially like the sag in the lens zoomed out to 1300mm. eek7.gif

From B&H's site it sounds like a fixed-aperture, manual focus lens. That's one way to cut costs.

BTW, Herion, my one experience with Cameta was actually quite good. Won one of their auctions a few years ago to make my jump into digital. Sent the wrong memory card & made it right with no troubles.

I would say you were extremely fortunate. I won an ebay auction for a Canon flash, they sent a Phoenix one instead, refused to exchange it and made me pay 15% restocking. I sicc'ed Amex on them for the 15%. Never dealt with them again - I use Beach or Allen's Camera for almost everything now...
  • Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    even if you can keep it steady eg not a puff of wind, you have the problems that all lenses have over 1000 mm, and that is AIR and everything floating about it in it.worse through cheap glass.

2X teleconverters,by and large, suck ,too.murkiness converters.good paper weights.

a zeiss 800 mm cat lens would be a better buy for some specific purposes,but not sport,maybe some really long nature shots and abstract stuff that i like.

yes ,i want an 800mm zeiss cat,but would not waste my money on what looks like this heavy,murky rubbish.no CA with cat lenses either.
    Just shot this one with the same lens on friday night, no monopod or tripod from about 70yards.94521413-L.jpg
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    how about..
    thats not bad -how about a 100% crop pre-photoshop,an infinity shot and the piece of newspaper taped to a wall.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.