Options

Confused about filters

slopersloper Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited September 13, 2006 in Accessories
I was given a cokin filter system with various filters the other day, so i promply went out and purchased the adaptor ring to fit onto my Minolta 5D

I then went into town the next day and asked if they had an adaptor ring for my Zoom lens (58mm)
The same camera shop told me that as i was using a A Series cokin adaptor the filters would be very hard to get hold of, and they have all been replaced by the *P Series*

They informed me that the best thing to do would be to ditch the one i have and buy an entire new set with adaptor.

Wots the difference (If any) And are they right.
I have taken a few pictures with the A series, and they seem to be coming out perfect.

Help me out please.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    The difference in the series are in size of the filters ........

CLIK HERE FOR COKIN

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]System P is strongly recommended. It's adaptor rings are available in diameters ranging from 48 to 82 mm and eliminates vignetting (dark edges) common with using the "A" filters. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]734d6430.jpg[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]12e975700.gif12ea97900.gif12ebdafe0.gif[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Inside measurement[/FONT]

Always remember GOOGLE is your friend.......:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited September 13, 2006
    Yes. The P is the more common size these days.

Ian

I should add that either way, you'd be fine with what you have for
    most things.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?