Options

Free MacBook Pro

TakeFlightTakeFlight Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited September 13, 2006 in Accessories
Has anyone seen this offer and can give me some clue how it works? I am willing to try and find 20 friends to pursue the idea but am not sure if it is another chain scam worth my time. It sounds pretty legit. Thoughts?

http://freemacbookpro.com/index.php?referral=633625
Canon 20D
Canon Lenses: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Canon 580EX Speedlight, TC-80N3, BG-E2 Battery Pack
Mac Book Pro

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    TakeFlight wrote:
    Has anyone seen this offer and can give me some clue how it works? I am willing to try and find 20 friends to pursue the idea but am not sure if it is another chain scam worth my time. It sounds pretty legit. Thoughts?

http://freemacbookpro.com/index.php?referral=633625

POSTED FROM THE WEB:

Get a free MacBook Pro, Scam or Not?
    Posted by Nate Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:19:00 GMT
    So I came across this site, operated by FreeSiteAlliance.com, the site offers a free MacBook Pro if you jump though a few hoops. So I signed up, what the hell, I know how to market online, I have a few friends (if they still are after this experiment is TBD), and I could use a new laptop. I also work in the online marketing industry so I should be able to make this work.

So premise is simple, you sign up, you complete an offer (from which the company generates revenue), and you refer 20 friends, each of which completes an offer (from which the company generates revenue). Now the total revenue from the offers does not equal the cost of the laptop. In fact it doesn't come close. So how can they offer a laptop? The industry term is "breakage", they rely on the fact that not all consumers, like myself, will jump through all the hoops. There are other sites like this one, they are operated by companies like gratisinternet.com and metareward.com, and they operate sites like freepay.com.

So do these sites payout? From what I can tell companies like GratisInternet.com does, as does MetaReward.com. MetaRewards may have had less breakage then they estimated or wanted since they look to be going out of business. The question here is does this smaller less know business FreeSiteAlliance and their host of web properties actually do what they say, or are they just a shell, operating under the radar of most and scamming consumers.

I have enlisted friends and co-workers to help me find out. Stay tuned for the play by play. If your feeling the need to contribute, sign up yourself and let me know. In the process I might get a laptop or I might help save other consumers the headache of trying.

troy

(in the end, this person did not get his free macbook pro)
  • Options
    Where did you get that post? How did he not get his free MacBook? Did he jump through all the hoops? I appreciate this, saves me some time but I am still curious...
    Canon 20D
    Mac Book Pro
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    TakeFlight wrote:
    Where did you get that post? How did he not get his free MacBook? Did he jump through all the hoops? I appreciate this, saves me some time but I am still curious...

found it at:

http://www.stimblemedia.com/

my mother "may she rest in peace" always told me, if it sounds too good to be true - then it isn't true!

troy
  • Options
    :): Thanks Troy!
    Canon 20D
    Mac Book Pro
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    It's a simple "pyramid" scheme and not only doesn't work, it is impossible to work.

By the time the sceme hits the 7th tier (20 power 7) you are at 1/5th the population of the entire world. By the time you reach tier 8, you are at a population beyond what the earth can support.

Here is the breakdown:

World population estimate this morning:
    14:39 GMT (EST+5) Sep 13, 2006
    http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

with the commas removed:

The math:

Tier 1) 20 people
    2) 400 people (20 x 20)
    3) 8000 (20 x 20 x 20)
    4) 160000
    5) 3200000
    6) 64000000
    7) 1280000000
    x) 6543820594 (Population of the world)
    8) 25600000000 or 25,600,000,000

Plain and simple, cannot work. The "pyramid" will collapse for many reasons way before the third level.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    TakeFlight wrote:

http://freemacbookpro.com/

I don't know anything about the company behind the free macbook, however freebie offers are very difficult to complete and most people give up. I have personally received a free iPod and iPod Shuffle from the freepay.com network of sites. Personally I would not recommend any of the freebie sites any more because they've gotten too popular so the companies behind them are making it more difficult to complete the process (adding more hoops to jump through). One year ago when I got my freebies it was a lot easier.

P.S. Hopefully that is not your referral ID in the link you provided.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    There's a very simple rule that will protect you from all scams, "there's no such thing as a free lunch.' That's it, plain and simple, there's no argument, remember this and you can't go far wrong.
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    all you get for free is more and more spam in your inbox.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM