Waiting on Discovery

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited September 13, 2006 in Journeys
Hi y'all,

Living on Florida's Space Coast its almost mandatory that you show some interest in the space program. Whenever there's a shuttle launch folks trek out to various spots on the river to watch the shuttle launch. They get there hours before the launch to get a good spot and they also get to bake in the sun.

83123773-L.jpg

some kill the time by fishing
83123778-L.jpg

they almost never catch a fish
83123774-L.jpg

some find more mundane ways to kill the time
83123775-L.jpg

I hang out with the drinkers
83123776-L.jpg

while we bake, fish, drink, watch TV, etc Discovery sits on the pad
83123779-L.jpg

folks prepare to get "The Shot" with very tiny cameras
83123781-L.jpg

invariably the word comes down on the first day "Cancelled"
83123780-L.jpg

This was the only airborne sight
83123777-L.jpg

Now everybody hops in their cars and wait a long time for the traffic to move so they can go home. I head for a restaurant on the river where I can take a few pics and have a few more Coronas.
83123772-L.jpg

Discovery naturally launched on its third try when I couldn't be there. I will try again when the next launch gets scheduled because its a fine excuse to drink a bunch of Coronas.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    What a cool opportunity - I've always wanted to see a launch. Thanks for the pics, sorry you didn't get to see it.

So how often to they do a mission these days? When I was a kid, it was such a BIG DEAL! Now, you just don't hear about them anymore. Of coarse, it would probably help if I watched the news!:D
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 23, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi y'all,

Discovery naturally launched on its third try when I couldn't be there. I will try again when the next launch gets scheduled because its a fine excuse to drink a bunch of Coronas.
    Great stuff Harry,
    i always look forward to your shots.. i never could get the taste of the coronas but i dang sure knock down a few buds. 1drink.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    What a cool opportunity - I've always wanted to see a launch. Thanks for the pics, sorry you didn't get to see it.

So how often to they do a mission these days? When I was a kid, it was such a BIG DEAL! Now, you just don't hear about them anymore. Of coarse, it would probably help if I watched the news!:D

Thanks for stopping by Kevin. I think they are planning a couple of more flights now that the last one was so successful. The next one is tentatively scheduled for next March. That would be great because the temps will be much lower.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    About time harry...i was wondering when we were going to see some shuttle photos. You built me up & then slapped me with a cancellation !!
    edited July 23, 2006
    Great stuff Harry,
    i always look forward to your shots.. i never could get the taste of the coronas but i dang sure knock down a few buds. 1drink.gif

Thanks for the very kind words Curtis. As hot as it was out there that day any brand of suds would have done the job. beer.gif
    Harry
    edited July 23, 2006
    gus wrote:
    About time harry...i was wondering when we were going to see some shuttle photos. You built me up & then slapped me with a cancellation !!

I am so sorry to have disappointed you Gus. However let me point out to you that I had to fight the traffic going there and coming back; I had to sit out there in some heavy duty heat for hours; I had to keep my 11 year old granddaughter entertained for those hours; I had to pay $10 to park so I could sit around in the heat; I had to put up with an unending stream of rugrats who wanted to look at Discovery through my 500mm lens (I should have charge dthe buggers for a peek, then I would had been able to afford a few more Coronas at the inflated price they were selling them for). I put up with all of that and then they cancelled the frigging launch.

Now on top of all of that I have to live with the knowledge that I "slapped you with a cancellation". I just don't get no breaks. :cry

Here's a link to a pic from a friend who was able to go out there when the launch went off.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=79665
    Harry
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 23, 2006
    Great story and great series of photos to go along with the story.

Sorry that there was no launch that day. March sounds like a funner time for the watchers though, lots cooler!!

A launch is a good excuse for a Corona, but then no one really needs an excuse for another Coronathumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Very cool Harry, I'd love to watch a space shuttle take off.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Great shots and story, Harry. I know almost exactly how it is... I was lucky enough to be there for the last (probably very last) night launch of the shuttle. It was scrubbed the first night because of rain in Spain (on the plain), so we trekked back the next night and managed to get lucky. Beautiful sight, and much cooler than daytime launches!

For this launch (maybe the same day?), we were in Epcot and looking in toward the coast when we heard it was scrubbed. It was stormy every afternoon that week...
    Chris
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Great series Harry and good story to go with, you may have missed the launch but I'm still very jealous that you get the opportunity to be there and I'm sure there will be more launches. How about landings, is there ever an opportunity to shoot these as well?
    May I take your picture?
    edited July 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great story and great series of photos to go along with the story.

Sorry that there was no launch that day. March sounds like a funner time for the watchers though, lots cooler!!

A launch is a good excuse for a Corona, but then no one really needs an excuse for another Coronathumb.gif

Hey PF wave.gif

I'm looking forward to the March launch and hoping that I will finally get a shot of a shuttle launch. With luck it will take 3-4 tries giving me 3-4 days on the river drinking Coronas. Not a bad way to spend a few days.
    Harry
    edited July 24, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Very cool Harry, I'd love to watch a space shuttle take off.

Thanks Ed. If you want to see a shuttle launch come on down next March. Just make sure you can spare a few days because I have yet to see one go off on the first try.
    Harry
    edited July 24, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Great shots and story, Harry. I know almost exactly how it is... I was lucky enough to be there for the last (probably very last) night launch of the shuttle. It was scrubbed the first night because of rain in Spain (on the plain), so we trekked back the next night and managed to get lucky. Beautiful sight, and much cooler than daytime launches!

For this launch (maybe the same day?), we were in Epcot and looking in toward the coast when we heard it was scrubbed. It was stormy every afternoon that week...

Thanks Chris and I envy you seeing a night launch. They have stopped launching at night so that's a sight that we won't see again.
    Harry
    edited July 24, 2006
    mushy wrote:
    Great series Harry and good story to go with, you may have missed the launch but I'm still very jealous that you get the opportunity to be there and I'm sure there will be more launches. How about landings, is there ever an opportunity to shoot these as well?

Hey Mushy,

Thanks for the kind words. I am hoping to do better with the March launch. They usually don't land at the KSC so its usually not possible to get a shot in my area. When they do land close by security is so tight you couldn't get a decent shot.
    Harry
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Nice story and pics Harry. Wise of you to avoid the rush the way you did :D
    edited July 24, 2006
    BigAl wrote:
    Nice story and pics Harry. Wise of you to avoid the rush the way you did :D

Thanks Al and to be honest I would have stopped at the restaurant and had some brews :slurpeven it there had been no rush. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Too bad Harry. The can and cancelled were my fav.

Haven't been to a launch, but seen plenty of landings.
    Columbia, on the first landing from space of the shuttle program.
    28693846-M.jpg

God bless them.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited July 24, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Too bad Harry. The can and cancelled were my fav.

Haven't been to a launch, but seen plenty of landings.
    Columbia, on the first landing from space of the shuttle program.
    28693846-M.jpg

God bless them.

Thanks, those were my two favorite shots too. I just heard that there's supposed to be a launch next month so I should have another crack at it.
    Harry
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 24, 2006
    Harry I love each of these shots thumb.gifclap.gif

But where's the photo of the Corona? Or was the bottle moving too fast to capture? rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 25, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Harry I love each of these shots thumb.gifclap.gif

But where's the photo of the Corona? Or was the bottle moving too fast to capture? rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Angelo. When it was full I was too busy with the Corona to take a shot and when it was empty it was just too sad a sight to shoot. :D
    Harry
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 25, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Angelo. When it was full I was too busy with the Corona to take a shot and when it was empty it was just too sad a sight to shoot. :D

lol3.gif
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    If I were there, I'd join you in drinking those coronas. Hopefully someone brought limes! :):
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • jerrykrjerrykr Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    Nice set of shots Harry. Despite the heat and long wait, it appears that you had a good day. Any day you can cap off with a few Coronas has to be good. :):

-=- Jerry -=-
    /*
    -=- Jerry -=-
    For Comprehensive info on Infrared Photography.

Visit my Site - Infrared Photography Buzz
  • tuggnettuggnet Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    I'm told the only thing more spectacular than a shuttle launch was a Saturn V launch.

I was standing at the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) during the last night shuttle launch (11/23/2002).

It went from night time to daylight in about 5 seconds!

Here is a shot of Endeavour as she clears the tower:

94924528-M.jpg

And one about 50NM downrange:

94924532-M.jpg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    Harry, is the shot of the shuttle a crop?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • tuggnettuggnet Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I didn't mean to hijack Harry's thread. Neither shot is a crop. Both were taken with a Canon G2 and I swear I was shaking like a leaf from the vibration caused by the launch.

-et
    wxwax wrote:

I cropped it a tad, not more than 10%
    Harry
    tuggnet wrote:
    I didn't mean to hijack Harry's thread. Neither shot is a crop. Both were taken with a Canon G2 and I swear I was shaking like a leaf from the vibration caused by the launch.

-et

No problem both shots were on subject.
    Harry