Options

Password protecting a category?

John OxladeJohn Oxlade Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 2, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Is it possible to put a single password on a category, without password protecting a specific gallery, so that the preview thumbnails aer still visible? I have created several galleries under a holiday category, and would like the previw to work, but protect them all with a single password. It doesn't look like this is possible, but it'd be really handy (for me anyway).

Cheers,
John

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    I don't think there's a way, but I'd like there to be a way as well.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    That's an excellent idea! thumb.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    Can the whole gategory be made private? And along with all the sub-categories/galleries under it. I haven't found a way to directly link to just one category.

Now that I reread your message, I think that is a great idea thumb.gifand solves my problem. Then all my categories would show along with the password protected one. In my case it would be family. I wouldn't necessary need a preview shown though. Maybe pick one photo to always show in preview with the words password protected over it.

I have 42 galleries and four sub-categories under the family category and would have to set a password on each. And if I did I wonder if the top category would then show password potection.
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    John OxladeJohn Oxlade Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2004
    Exactly. I am using the albums for my family and friends to keep track of us when we move to New Zealand. I want to dump loads of diary-type photos in private areas, use a single password to protect the whole lot (without having to apply oodles of passwords to each individual gallery), and have the thumbnail preview work as it does on an unprotected gallery. The admin overhead of password protecting each gallery is a drag, a single password (or perhaps a few for each category like holiday, parties, etc.) would be much better.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    Cool idea! (and then some:-)
    Same with subcategory, neh?
    Actually, I would really like to see most of the album's properties be added to gallery/subgallery level:
    • IsPublic - obvious
    • Password - obvious
    • Description - can be displayed on top of (sub)category's thumbs just like in the album (in all thumbs mode)
    • Keywords - default set. They will be automatically added to each gallery residing within, so you don't have to type "travel, japan, kyoto" for ten albums you have. This way each gallery actual list of keywords woul constist of: category's ones + [subcategory's ones +] gallery's ones. You don't have to see them all at album level, but when you search for that word, they would count
    • other properties can serve as default values for internal objects, which can be overridden at the object's level.
    What do you think?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    lemketronlemketron Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    I agree!
    I would love this too! Settings should work at the category OR subcategory level, so we don't have to enter the same password on every individual gallery.

In addition, if I've entered the password for a protected cateogry, subcategory, or even gallery, then the gallery feature photos should be displayed when looking at the category or subcategory.
    --Steve