Options

New Lens for Harry

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 4, 2006 in Cameras
Provided he's willing to drop his N**** and take on MF:
Carl Zeiss 1700mm:
http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b9/Contents-Frame/8baac109cb80bddfc12571e100393a1b
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    f/4??? eek7.gif 550lbs???
  • Options
    It think it's a typo
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    f/4??? eek7.gif 550lbs???
    24Kg, or 55lb
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    24Kg, or 55lb

The 55lbs I could handle ( I got my Beach Rolly) but giving up Nikon? Never gonna happen.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    Even for a Hasselblad? That's a high-end medium format on there, not a 35mm SLR or DSLR. I'll bet the complete rig costs more than the truck that will serve as it's tripod. eek7.gif ...then add a digital back to it, can you say CHA-CHING!

I wonder what the LCD screen shown on the top view shows.
  • Options
    I wonder what the LCD screen shown on the top view shows.

I bet this thing has its own chip inside, so it tells you the wind temperature, amount of CA you're currently getting, how Ansel would frame this particular shot and the distance to the nearest ribs place. :D
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    24Kg, or 55lb
    The zeiss website claims it is 256Kg. That doesn't look like a typo to me ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    lol3.gif Just for laughs, I wonder what the focal length would be on an APS-C camera (imagining there was such a thing as an adapter for it).

• Options
    Well,
    Mike Lane wrote:
    The zeiss website claims it is 256Kg. That doesn't look like a typo to me ne_nau.gif

I guess if they included batteries, motors, gyros and the coke machine, it can be 256Kg... It's like, two average americans, or three europeans rolleyes1.gif
    You'd need a humvee to haul this thing...
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    eek7.gif
    I want autograph of owner of this thing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I bet this thing has its own chip inside, so it tells you the wind temperature, amount of CA you're currently getting, how Ansel would frame this particular shot and the distance to the nearest ribs place. :D

Oohh! oohh! The Ansel Adams Button! :D

If my math is right Mike, it comes out to...1700mm. Recall that 6x6 considers 80mm "normal" while 35mm is 50mm. That's back to a 1.6 factor, so FF 35mm is more like 1062mm. Or am I thinking about this bass-ackwards & it should be more like 2720mm? Either way, you'll still get the nose-hairs shot of the lion on the opposite side of the Sahara. :) Of course for all of us this is like arguing over how many angels fit on the head of a pin--we'll never even see this beast much less get to use it.
  • Options
    Oohh! oohh! The Ansel Adams Button! :D

If my math is right Mike, it comes out to...1700mm. Recall that 6x6 considers 80mm "normal" while 35mm is 50mm. That's back to a 1.6 factor, so FF 35mm is more like 1062mm. Or am I thinking about this bass-ackwards & it should be more like 2720mm? Either way, you'll still get the nose-hairs shot of the lion on the opposite side of the Sahara. :) Of course for all of us this is like arguing over how many angels fit on the head of a pin--we'll never even see this beast much less get to use it.
    bass ackwards :D Remember it would essentially be a crop factor just like if you put a 500mm lens on a 20D it becomes an 800mm lens.

The article said it was for a 6x6 medium format camera. Being not too familiar with the format does that mean 6 inches by 6 inches or 6 cm by 6 cm? Oh wait, I just found an LL article about it and it's 6cm x 6cm (I was thinking that 6" would be crazy huge eek7.gif).

Anywho, 6x6 format is 60mm x 60mm and APS-C is 22.7mm x 15.1mm. That makes the crop factor (I think) about 2.6. That means that the 1700 becomes a 4420mm lens on the 20d (theoretically).

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    nevermind the servos and gyros... think about the size of the piece of glass: 1700 f4!!! :uhoh

Harry, you might need 2 beach rollys and a sherpa.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited September 15, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    bass ackwards :D Remember it would essentially be a crop factor just like if you put a 500mm lens on a 20D it becomes an 800mm lens.

The article said it was for a 6x6 medium format camera. Being not too familiar with the format does that mean 6 inches by 6 inches or 6 cm by 6 cm? Oh wait, I just found an LL article about it and it's 6cm x 6cm (I was thinking that 6" would be crazy huge eek7.gif).

Anywho, 6x6 format is 60mm x 60mm and APS-C is 22.7mm x 15.1mm. That makes the crop factor (I think) about 2.6. That means that the 1700 becomes a 4420mm lens on the 20d (theoretically).

I thought it might be. So throw a 20D on there & take pictures of hte footprints on the moon. :D

As you found, MF is 6cmx6cm....or 6x4.5....or 6x7....or 6x9... umph.gif

If you really want to get crazy huge: http://www.polaroid.com/global/detail.jsp;jsessionid=FKFq0vPU8OjWQf2AJjkL7XIL5F15Hpu617OufDyYhDMhEYnxLkQZ!836700769!-1979950377!7005!8005!204226522!-1979950386!7005!8005?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441760008&amp;FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302028647&amp;bmUID=1158333738922&amp;bmLocale=en_US

I read an article about something like this they used at Yosemite once...they used a U-Haul to move it around & basically backed the truck up to the scene. eek7.gif But, a poster-sized contact print? mwink.gif
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Hell at 256kg ... I can handhold that bad boy all day long ... a Hassel and a handstrap is all I need. .. and maybe a good doctor or two (a shrink for thinking I could and an MD for after trying).

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    when the focal length for lenses is given, I don't believe that conversion is done from MF cameras to 35mm; what I mean is that a 50mm MF has the same coverage when attached )via an adaptor) to a 35mm camera as a 50mm lens does on a 35mm camera. What I mean to say, is that if I put a canon 300mm on my 20d, I should get the same magnification as when I attach my 300mm orestegor (an MF lens), right?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    Justiceiro wrote:
    when the focal length for lenses is given, I don't believe that conversion is done from MF cameras to 35mm; what I mean is that a 50mm MF has the same coverage when attached )via an adaptor) to a 35mm camera as a 50mm lens does on a 35mm camera. What I mean to say, is that if I put a canon 300mm on my 20d, I should get the same magnification as when I attach my 300mm orestegor (an MF lens), right?

Interesting thought ... a normal lens for a 2 ana quarter x 2 ana quarter Hasselblad (for example) is 80mm. I think you would get the same type of prespective/crop factor using a 300mm MF on a 35mm FF as one would when switching between a FF and a APS-C size sensor. The magnification would be the same ... the perspective is different.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Justiceiro wrote:
    yes, a lens is a lens is a lens. But no, you wouldn't see the same thing on a 20D that you see on a FF camera or a medium format due to the crop factor. Basically you're only seeing fraction of the full viewing angle due to a smaller sensor.

Or maybe I misunderstood your question and you already knew all that...

• Options
    eek7.gif
    I want autograph of owner of this thing

Me too ... on a check.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Interesting thought ... a normal lens for a 2 ana quarter x 2 ana quarter Hasselblad (for example) is 80mm. I think you would get the same type of prespective/crop factor using a 300mm MF on a 35mm FF as one would when switching between a FF and a APS-C size sensor. The magnification would be the same ... the perspective is different.

Close. Like Mike said a lens is a lens. The magnification is the same, the perspective is the same. The field of view is different. So the 1700mm field of view on the 6x6 format translates to approximately a 2700mm field of view on a 35mm, and 4400mm field of view on an APS-C DSLR. Same image is being projected, you're just grabbing a smaller & smaller rectangle out of the center of the image circle. I just finished reading The Camera & Mr. Adams did a great job of explaining how that works. So, as Mike kindly pointed out my first flawed calculation was bass-ackwards. It's like taking a severe crop of the 6x6 image: same detail but a tighter framing.

Heh, heh. So we get a converter, the slap a 2x on top of that: 8800mm on a 20D! :ivar That's just silly & the minimum focus distance is probably the next state.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Update: It was at Photokina, and it's on dpreview today. Check out the first image link showing it hanging over people's heads! Wow! And that was no typo, it really does weigh in at 564 pounds!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited October 3, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Update: It was at Photokina, and it's on dpreview today. Check out the first image link showing it hanging over people's heads! Wow! And that was no typo, it really does weigh in at 564 pounds!

... and if you look reeeeally carefully, you can see Andy reaching for his wallet! Anyone for Sherpa duty?

ziggy53 (trouble with a capital "T".mwink.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Gotta be a BIG wallet. Did anyone catch the oblique price hints? One raw lens casting being the price of a luxury car? *Then* they do finish work on it...and there's 15 elements! I'm guessing the pricetag is six digits and the first one is likely not a "1" :twitch Ahh...if only I had that kind of cash laying around with nothing better to use it on...