Options

Photography Magazines

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 18, 2006 in The Big Picture
I get asked this a lot. I read a ton of photograpy magazines but here are three of my favorites.

No fluff:
p10.jpg

Artsy Fartsy:
4-e1-218enlarged.jpg

Surprisingly good articles:
8222006183744.jpg

And yours?

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Digital Photo Pro.

splash_cover.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Ive never bought a photograhic mag in my life but read this each month from cover to cover (sometimes twice) I need to see why someone took that shot & whats going on behind it...technique is simply art...subjective & always open to a million different interpretations so i dont worry about it.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    I prefer the french version of Photo magazine, when I can find it. More risque, but also more daring overall. Always interesting images.

http://www.photo.fr/
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    I also like American Photo, Digital Photo Pro, and National Geographic mentioned above. In addition, I really like Lenswork:

lwcurrentissue-200pix.jpg

Erich
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Outdoor Photographer

cvr_aug06.jpg
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Only bought one about year ago DCMAG it is nice because i only read it dont know about others
    One you mentioned also look fantastic clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    I prefer Lenswork over Aperture now. My other favorite is PhotoLife.

Have to check out Rangefinder. I'm always on the lookout for a good photography magazine--as opposed to a monthly gear review/ad packet.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Rangefinder is my fave! Bill gets it for free as a "pro" photographer. He was going to get rid of his subscription. I yelped. We still get it. Wonderful magazine (and for free, too.). I don't think it costs that terribly much otherwise.

I love LensWork, but I consider it an exatravagance as I buy it for the writing and inspiration. And it is 10.00 on the newstands. I have bought some of the books. A new one is out that I plan to order. (I don't think it is new anymore, but I haven't ordered it yet)

If that photoshop magazine is on a subject I am interested in, I buy it. Same with lots of magazines. My main gripe is very expensive photo mags with a CD in them. I can't afford them, they cost as much as many books, and they cannot be returned for a refund if not what was expected.

ginger (There are some nature mags in the 5.00 and under range that I buy and enjoy.)

Nothing is as informative as Rangefinder, IMO.

I also buy local mags for photography possibilities. Such as the very nice magazine, Charleston. Very upscale. The ads are not all in my range, but I can get ideas on what and how to photograph in this area..........in which I always am!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    I have a free digital subscription (have to read it on the puter) to Popular Photography and Imaging. Its decent enough, but am looking for more to read.

We also get in Aperature, Professional Photographer, Photo District News, PSA Journal, NewsPhotographer, RPS Journal, and American Photo at the Library I work at, so I look at all of those too.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    I'll have to try Rangefinder, if I ever see it on a shelf. Must not have great distribution, I don't recall seeing it at either B&N or Borders.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    BTW, for anyone who has Photoshop, you really should spend the $100 annually if you can afford it, and join the NAPP. They have an outstanding sorta-monthly magazine filled with great tips.

PhotoshopUser.jpg

I also see the mag on store shelves, if you don't want to/can't join.
    Sid.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 14, 2006
    In addition to American Photo and DPP, mentioned above, I enjoy Photo life.

http://photolife.com/
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    8222006183744.jpg

This is actually one of my fav's as well :): That cover was fantastic this month. thumb.gif
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    BTW, for anyone who has Photoshop, you really should spend the $100 annually if you can afford it, and join the NAPP. They have an outstanding sorta-monthly magazine filled with great tips.

PhotoshopUser.jpg

I also see the mag on store shelves, if you don't want to/can't join.

Now that i would buy !
  • Options
    gus wrote:
    Now that i would buy !
    Well worth it, man, great tips, very user friendly.
    Sid.
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    Well worth it, man, great tips, very user friendly.
    So on their website they talk about $99 membership...does that get you a free monthly mag as well ? The camera im comfortable with..CS2 im dying on.
  • Options
    gus wrote:
    So on their website they talk about $99 membership...does that get you a free monthly mag as well ? The camera im comfortable with..CS2 im dying on.
    Yeah, giving them $99 means they send you the magazine. If you want, I can send you a copy so you can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

You get other benefits, but not sure how much the shopping discount would help you in Oz.
    Sid.
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, giving them $99 means they send you the magazine. If you want, I can send you a copy so you can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

You get other benefits, but not sure how much the shopping discount would help you in Oz.

'guess we should give it a try.
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    Seems like every most photography magazines I pick up are either really expensive or 75% ads. Like gus, the only magazine I currently subscribe to is National Geographic. However, I am definatley going to have to check out some of the magazines that have been suggested in this thread.

Lately I've been checking out more photography podcasts since they are free and ad free. I look forward to one day finding the Andy's photo tips podcast out there. :D
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    I get asked this a lot. I read a ton of photograpy magazines but here are three of my favorites.

No fluff:
    p10.jpg

Artsy Fartsy:
    4-e1-218enlarged.jpg

Surprisingly good articles:
    8222006183744.jpg

And yours?

Hu, what do you know, I actually saw the last two in Interpress today! Maybe I'll give American Photo a try next time I'm there, I usually stay away from the ones with hot ass on the cover.

Malte
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    Here is a Canadian Photography magazine that I now subscribe to. The most recent issue features their annual showing of student photography (which was pretty outstanding!). The articles are in depth and the print quality of the paper used is outstanding. Judging by the letters to the editor, it has a strong following outside Canada.

cover_PL_1087.jpg
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    Just finished reading that one. Excellent mag.
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Not to go on a tangent, but don't get suckered in to "Shutterbug" mag. You would be hard-pressed to find articles between all the ads.

I am going to email them and cancel my subscription. It probably is 80-85% ads and the articles are usually about half page size.

Hope that helps someone decide better.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead