Options

Sony

FritzcFritzc Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited December 2, 2004 in Cameras
I have a Sony DSC-F707.
Would like to hear some things about my camera.
Lately occasionally the screen shows "No Memory Stick" even though there is one in the camera. After I remove memorystick and replace it, it is okay. This usually happens at very inopportune times.
I also use the camera for my wife's watercolor classes she teaches.
I mount the camera over her demonstration table and plug into a TV. Her students can watch what she is doing without standing and coming up to look at her work. I just leave the camera on and plugged into the charger. This lasts for about three hours. Will this hurt the camera? :dunno

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    Fritzc wrote:
    I have a Sony DSC-F707.
    Lately occasionally the screen shows "No Memory Stick" even though there is one in the camera. After I remove memorystick and replace it, it is okay. This usually happens at very inopportune times.
    I also use the camera for my wife's watercolor classes she teaches.
    I mount the camera over her demonstration table and plug into a TV. Her students can watch what she is doing without standing and coming up to look at her work. I just leave the camera on and plugged into the charger. This lasts for about three hours. Will this hurt the camera? ne_nau.gif

Thanks
    I'm not sure if it'll hurt the camera but if you really need something dedicated for that, I would invest in a cheapy webcam. I'd rather risk messing that up instead of my shooting camera.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 11, 2004
    Fritz,

Some of the older Sony's have been known to get the "No Memory Stick" error message. It's usually due to dirt on the MS's contacts, or the contacts inside the cameras MS compartment. Try a different MS, if possible, or try to clean the contacts on the one that gives the error message. If another MS fails, you might need to blow some pressurized air into the camera's MS connector.

Although, I'm pretty sure that using the 707 as a teaching aid won't hurt it, I agree with the previous poster, that picking up a cheap webcam for PC hookup, or camcorder would probably be a better way to go in the long run. Using the battery charger/power cord is a good idea if you continue to use the 707 in this fashion. thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2004
    Thanks all!
    Fritz,

Some of the older Sony's have been known to get the "No Memory Stick" error message. It's usually due to dirt on the MS's contacts, or the contacts inside the cameras MS compartment. Try a different MS, if possible, or try to clean the contacts on the one that gives the error message. If another MS fails, you might need to blow some pressurized air into the camera's MS connector.

Although, I'm pretty sure that using the 707 as a teaching aid won't hurt it, I agree with the previous poster, that picking up a cheap webcam for PC hookup, or camcorder would probably be a better way to go in the long run. Using the battery charger/power cord is a good idea if you continue to use the 707 in this fashion. thumb.gif

Steve
    Thanks to all for the favor of a reply.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2004
    I got the blues!
    Was up north last weekend and took a bunch of pics with my Sony DSC-F707
    and there was a serious color shift to blue. What's up?
  • Options
    BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    Fritzc wrote:
    Was up north last weekend and took a bunch of pics with my Sony DSC-F707
    and there was a serious color shift to blue. What's up?
    I got the DSC-F717, as far as i know, the majority of the camera is the same. Did you try using the light setting. On mine, its at the side of the camera, and it changes for sunlight, cloudy skies, flourescent lights, and a few others. That could make it go blue or other colours if not set properly.
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2004
    Brett wrote:
    I got the DSC-F717, as far as i know, the majority of the camera is the same. Did you try using the light setting. On mine, its at the side of the camera, and it changes for sunlight, cloudy skies, flourescent lights, and a few others. That could make it go blue or other colours if not set properly.
    Do you know what ?? You are correct. I did not recognize the little icon on camera screen that was warning me of that. I must have bumped the button while handling the camera. Sometimes I have to be hit between the eyes with a BaseBball bat to see something. Thanks for the favor of a reply.
  • Options
    BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2004
    Hey not a problem, just glad I could help.
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    Ritz Cameras has a cleaner stick
    Fritzc wrote:
    I have a Sony DSC-F707.

I had the same problem with my 707 and it's dirty memory stick contact, or dirty contacts in the camera. I found a cleaning stick kit for $5.00 at Ritz Camera, if you search you may find some online places that sell the sticks if you don't have any Ritz stores near you.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    Dee wrote:
    Fritzc wrote:
    I have a Sony DSC-F707.

I had the same problem with my 707 and it's dirty memory stick contact, or dirty contacts in the camera. I found a cleaning stick kit for $5.00 at Ritz Camera, if you search you may find some online places that sell the sticks if you don't have any Ritz stores near you.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks a bunch. There is a Ritz near where we shop. I'll check it out! :D