People on the Street

Jayhawk1993Jayhawk1993 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited September 15, 2006 in Street and Documentary
Here are pictures of people I've encountered in my travels. Probabally one of the biggest fears I am trying to overcome is asking people if I can take their picture. Some were so outgoing, they made it easy... but here are some interesting in intriguing personalities I've had the pleasure of running into. Some are already included on a thread I posted in the "Journeys" forum on Colombia. I hope you enjoy them!

91622162-S.jpg
Two girls in Raquirá, Colombia

91622375-S.jpg
A woman near Villa de Lleyva, Colombia who was selling fossils.

90851962-S.jpg
A cook at a restaurant near Bogotá, Colombia... not necessarily geared towards vegetarians!

91621302-S.jpg
Two waitresses in another café near Bogotá. I really liked this picture, but was dissapointed that i cut off their feet... Oh well...

92310443-S.jpg
This lady was feeding birds near the Louvre in Paris.

94115951-S.jpg
A flamenco singer/guitarist from Spain performing in Zurich, Switzerland.

94112484-S.jpg
Flautist in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany.

Comments

• botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    those are some fantastic captures!

I'm a terrible candid photog, i wont lie. It's not that I'm a bad photog, I just can't get up the gumption to ask someone to take their picture! So bravo for that thumb.gif
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    I like the first shot a lot. It has right composition, interesting colours and a ballance between people on one side and the window on the other. Well done.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    While most picture are just "touristic photos" (not the worst one, though), the pidgeons' lady and the flamenco guy are very nice thumb.gif
    Even if the framing is a little "disturbed": you should have taken your time so you could aim them right ;)

By the way: we say "Louvre", not "lourve"... :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Jayhawk1993Jayhawk1993 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    AntoineD wrote:
    While most picture are just "touristic photos" (not the worst one, though), the pidgeons' lady and the flamenco guy are very nice thumb.gif
    Even if the framing is a little "disturbed": you should have taken your time so you could aim them right ;)

By the way: we say "Louvre", not "lourve"... :D

Oops, I should have checked my spelling before I clicked "save"!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm becoming more serious about learning how to be a better photographer as I better appreciate it as an art form. Any constructive feedback or criticism is always appreciated thumb.gif

Here are some other pictures of the bird lady.

94465135-S.jpg

94197585-S.jpg
  • stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    Very good ! My favorite pictures in this series are the ones that seem captured as an observer. Taking pics of people is a hard thing to master. As a photojournalist I always shoot before I ask...get things as they happen, more natural that way. The only time I approach first is if I am shooting children. If I were a parent I would want to know who was photographing my child and why before they did it. Again great series!
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    The two others you've posted seems "better", I mean: closer to the subject. Both could be better – it's about frame, mainly, plus I think you were a little too far from her, too long a focal lenght, to my opinion –, but there's "something", though.
    rolleyes1.gif

You should try "shorter" lens when shooting people.

Remember: "when your picture ain't good enough, it's you weren't closer enough to your picture". I don't remember who said that but he was well-known a photographer :D (and he wasn't talking about animal pictures :D but photojournalism).
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    botanist wrote:
    those are some fantastic captures!

I'm a terrible candid photog, i wont lie. It's not that I'm a bad photog, I just can't get up the gumption to ask someone to take their picture! So bravo for that thumb.gif

i hear that, thats why i like my 70-200 L it keeps me at a distance!
    lol
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap