Options

RD, please, anybody!

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
The following BUG needs to be fixed:
createAlbum boolean settings are not used, a newly album always has smugmug's default settings regardless of parameters' values.:deal

Also, the following feature is highly needed:
getting list of all categories AND subcategories in ONE shot.:deal
Currently I have to get list of categories first and then make N (a very large N!) calls for list of subcategories, which makes the whole process very lengthy and cumbersome.

I understand that introducing the new API can take time. Hence I'm suggesting to make a VERY SIMPLE (interface-wise) modification to an existing one, namely getAlbums.
Currently it takes one mandatory parameter (SessionID) and one optional - Nickname. I'm suggesting to add third optional parameter:
FullList: boolean
By default (if not mentioned) its value is, naturally, zero, i.e. FALSE. But if it's TRUE, method should return all possible categories and subcategories, even if there is no albums. For such "empty" lines AlbumID will be 0 and Title will be empty. This will be very easy to parse.

Please, guys, help! :bow It can't be that difficult to change..:deal

Thank you!:lust
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    It's even worse!
    Nikolai wrote:
    The following BUG needs to be fixed:
    createAlbum boolean settings are not used, a newly album always has smugmug's default settings regardless of parameters' values.deal.gif
    Not only that - it also ignores SUBCATEGORYID!

I'm very frustrated..:-(

Cannot create category, cannot create subcategory, and even createAlbum is barely wroking..umph.gif

Can I get some help, please??

Thanks!
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not only that - it also ignores SUBCATEGORYID!

I'm very frustrated..:-(

Cannot create category, cannot create subcategory, and even createAlbum is barely wroking..umph.gif

Can I get some help, please??

Thanks!

Hi there Nikolai,

I'm sorry I've been so busy, but I'm the only one who does anything with the API, and I have had more important things to work on.

Keep in mind that the API is, at this time, not officially supported by smugmug. I'm absolutely in love with the idea of expanding the API, and work on it any minute I get, but since I have a lot of other pressing things to do on the site, it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I read every post here, even if I don't have time to reply (or don't have an answer). I'm looking into the createAlbum issues, and we have quite a few more methods nearing release that should come in handy.

Take care,

Don
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    Hi there, Don!
    It feels so nice to finally get a feedback!clap.gif

I totally understand your position, lack of time and resources. Frankly, I'm in a very similar position myself - our company have thousands of customers (and as far as they autodealerships, you can imagine the $$$ involved and the anger level if something happens on, say, Thanksgiving weekend and they can't run their business;-) and only a few of us in Dev..

I only wanted to get attention to this very important (for me at least) issue. I understand that API is not an official part of the contract and I have no legal beef here. I'm only trying to make smugmug experience better for both myself and your own customers, that's why I'm kinda bitchin'..(which I promised I'd do from my very first post here:-)

It's a great news that fix and new APIs are coming!
    Thank you!iloveyou.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif

(if you guys ever happen to be around, keep in mind that I always have a bottle of Blue Label in the bar:-)