AA battery recharger,please advise

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited December 3, 2004 in Accessories
I have a sunpak 5000AF external flash for my Rebel that I am learning to use. Had a disaster on Sat with failing batteries, just reg batteries. So, I am thinking I need better batteries and a charger for them?

I was thinking of getting the Sunpak batteries and 2 hr charger at BH, would I need to get extra batteries?

What do you all do? I can't afford a battery pak like my husband uses, but the flash just died on us...........I know it is the batteries. Longer and longer recharge times, then flash did not fire shows up on the metadata.

ginger (I was going to order something from BH today, but thought I would ask here first)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have a sunpak 5000AF external flash for my Rebel that I am learning to use. Had a disaster on Sat with failing batteries, just reg batteries. So, I am thinking I need better batteries and a charger for them?

I was thinking of getting the Sunpak batteries and 2 hr charger at BH, would I need to get extra batteries?

What do you all do? I can't afford a battery pak like my husband uses, but the flash just died on us...........I know it is the batteries. Longer and longer recharge times, then flash did not fire shows up on the metadata.

ginger (I was going to order something from BH today, but thought I would ask here first)
    Ginger,
    an extra set of re-chargeables is $14.95, if you don't want to pay out for them you could always keep a couple sets of normal batteries with you just in case.

Its always wise to keep at least one set as a spare
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Ginger,
    an extra set of re-chargeables is $14.95, if you don't want to pay out for them you could always keep a couple sets of normal batteries with you just in case.

Its always wise to keep at least one set as a spare
    Thanks, Gubbs,

ginger:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 3, 2004
    If you look around, you might find 1500mha or even 2000mha AA batteries on
    sale (on the left coast, it's Fry's Electronics).

I've heard from some people that it's worth the extra money for a quick
    charger. Why? Because the regular chargers trickle charge and may or
    may not completely charge the battery.

I have two or three sets of NiMH 2000mha batteries that I carry. Keep in
    mind that these will discharge over time. So you either need to be sure
    they're charged before you use them or carry some Alkaline AA's as spare.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    With my old A70, I used nimh AA batteries and always carried 3 sets. One in camera and 2 backups. I rarely made it to the 3rd set.

I bought mine at Target. They were made by Energizer and carried a rating of 1600mah. I paid $9.99 for a pair.

Now that I sold my A70, I use these same batteries for an old Vivitar flash I have lying around. Work great imho.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    They were made by Energizer and carried a rating of 1600mah. I paid $9.99 for a pair.
    Must agree with you there PDG...i will only ever buy Energizer these days..had too many other brands fail. Buy 4..one fails..had it happen to me several times.

I absolutely cane my 2100 mAh Energizers & use a charger that fast charges & then goes to trickle.