Options

What about the Tamron 200-500?

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited September 20, 2006 in Cameras
I've been trying to shoot some birds of late using the Canon 75-300 4.-5.6. I just started doing this recently. I'm using the 20D. I picked up a Vivitar 1.4 tele converter, but it really can't auto-focus well. I've been reading about the Tamron 200-500 5.6-6.3 and it sounds like a good value (less than $900USD). Is anyone out there using this lens. Or, do you have another recommendation?

Thanks,

Gary

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    gpgold wrote:
    I've been trying to shoot some birds of late using the Canon 75-300 4.-5.6. I just started doing this recently. I'm using the 20D. I picked up a Vivitar 1.4 tele converter, but it really can't auto-focus well. I've been reading about the Tamron 200-500 5.6-6.3 and it sounds like a good value (less than $900USD). Is anyone out there using this lens. Or, do you have another recommendation?

Thanks,

Gary

I would consider the Sigma 50-500 F/4-6.3 or the Canon 100-400 F/4-5.6 IS first.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    gpgold wrote:

Thanks,

Gary

assume you have already looked at these on FM
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I would consider the Sigma 50-500 F/4-6.3 or the Canon 100-400 F/4-5.6 IS first.

Harry - thanks for the suggestions, your work is what originally got me interested.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    assume you have already looked at these on FM

Thanks for the link - I'm looking now!

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Canon 400 f/5.6L can be had under 1k in the used market... as well as the Canon 300 f/4L IS deal.gif

also i've heard good things about the Sigma 80-400 OS
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 27, 2006
    Gary,
    I too read the FM Reviews prior to picking up the Bigma. The issue that scared me off of the Tamron was that most users cited "slow focus", or something akin. Not a good thing for shooting birds in flight rolleyes1.gif

If you believe you will be at the super tele end of the zoom anyway, the aforementioned 400mm F5.6 L suggestion would merit a looksee :D It's only 400mm's versus 475mm or whatever, but it is sharp wide open. So we're probably talking F5.6 versus F9 (the zooms are sharper stopped down a stop). Which may also mean the difference between using ISO400 and ISO800 :uhoh

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2006
    Gary,
    I too read the FM Reviews prior to picking up the Bigma. The issue that scared me off of the Tamron was that most users cited "slow focus", or something akin. Not a good thing for shooting birds in flight rolleyes1.gif

If you believe you will be at the super tele end of the zoom anyway, the aforementioned 400mm F5.6 L suggestion would merit a looksee :D It's only 400mm's versus 475mm or whatever, but it is sharp wide open. So we're probably talking F5.6 versus F9 (the zooms are sharper stopped down a stop). Which may also mean the difference between using ISO400 and ISO800 :uhoh

Steve

What about the Sigma 170 - 500, do you have any thoughts on that.

Thanks,

Gary
  • Options
    SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Frankly, its the autofocus tracking on the 20D thats going to be the bottleneck as far as autofocusing goes. For AF on moving birds, the 20D will be the bottleneck, even with USM/HSM lenses.

Personally, I'd go with the EF 400mm f/5.6.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 17, 2006
    The SP 200-500 Di Tamron lens will AF for airplanes in flight with a 1DMkll just fine I do not think it is faster or slower focusing than my Canon 100-400

95926161-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    I just purchased the Canon 100-400 for pretty much the same reasons. Its very early days but I'm very happy so far. I have a Tamron 2x extender but have not tried it yet.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    nightshadownightshadow Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    The SP 200-500 Di Tamron lens will AF for airplanes in flight with a 1DMkll just fine I do not think it is faster or slower focusing than my Canon 100-400
    Sweet pic! The falcon and the mustang, they should make a movie
  • Options
    Would you, perhaps, prefer a P-47 Thunderbolt and an F-16 Falcon?? From summer 2004

6123058-L.jpg

• Options
    pathfinder wrote:
    Would you, perhaps, prefer a P-47 Thunderbolt and an F-16 Falcon?? From summer 2004
    A nice pic, but I like mustangs and corsairs
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2006
    Corsairs, you say!!

701847-M-1.jpg

• Options
    edited September 20, 2006
    pathfinder wrote: