Assignment #7: DOF that bench!

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    Bayer,
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    Headed advice... I'll try again.. back in a bit.
    No, no, not back - forward. You need to be closer to the bench. Like 3 ft top, maybe less.
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    This is exciting!... I'm learning! I was using the camera wrong this whole time.
    No worries, you're not alone. We're all learning, in one way or another...mwink.gif

Good luck!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    Yeah ^ I had to get REALLY close! They came out GREAT too!! wings.gif

Thanx for the help! Really! This site is great! Can't wait to try something else... *looks up old assignments*
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
    Bayer,
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    HA! I got ! I got it! YEah!...clap.gifivar
    Now you got it! thumb.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    Well, it isn't exactly a bench. And I didn't exactly follow the rules and take two shots. But I went out to shoot this assignment and had a ton of fun shooting with my 50mm at f/1.4 as close as I could get to things. So this assignment resulted in (among other things) ... DOF Dog:

96043468-L.jpg

[Sorry, guys if this is just too off topic. It really wouldn't have happened without Nik's assignment.]
    If not now, when?
    edited September 19, 2006
    Larry,
    Please check the forum FAQ, images are not showing :-(
  • larry llarry l Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Please check the forum FAQ, images are not showing :-(

I can't get the links to show so I took it down for now. I'll mess with it tonight after work.

LL
  • larry llarry l Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    bench of a different color
    96304999-M.jpg

96305009-M.jpg

First shot at f/2.8, 1/40; second shot f/22, 1.6; both shots from tripod, KM 5D, Sigma 105 mm

Hope they show up this time.
    Cool bench!
    larry l wrote:
    First shot at f/2.8, 1/40; second shot f/22, 1.6; both shots from tripod, KM 5D, Sigma 105 mm
    Hope they show up this time.

And cool DOF! thumb.gif
    Yes, they do show..:-) clap.gif
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    DOF Bench
    Larry beat me to the punch yesterday...I thought about shooting my Black & Decker Workmate on the way home from work yesterday. I go to the computer and open Dgrin and Larry posted his workbench..good idea Larry>
    Here is my B & D Workmate...I hope I did this right I am just learning how to use this DSLR.
    1. f/4, ISO 100, 43mm, Av
    96826611-L.jpg

F/10, ISO 100, Focal length 43mm, Av
    96826626-L.jpg

welcome C & C
    B.h.j,
    Thank you for the entries! thumb.gif
    It looks like your second one, f/10, suffers from a hand-hold blur.
    To avoid that, you need either more light, or higher ISO, or a tripod rolleyes1.gif
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    Yep..
    I left the tripod at my-in-laws out of state so these were both handheld shots. My question is "is this the right concept for the technique? Was I to only adjust the apertue? I adjust apeture and my focal point..after re-reading the directions, I think I should have had a tripod...focused on one spot and then adjusted my aperture. Does that sound right?
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for the entries! thumb.gif
    It looks like your second one, f/10, suffers from a hand-hold blur.
    To avoid that, you need either more light, or higher ISO, or a tripod rolleyes1.gif
    Yes, it was
    I left the tripod at my-in-laws out of state so these were both handheld shots. My question is "is this the right concept for the technique? Was I to only adjust the apertue? I adjust apeture and my focal point..after re-reading the directions, I think I should have had a tripod...focused on one spot and then adjusted my aperture. Does that sound right?

What you could have done also to avoid blur is to crank ISO a bit. Since ISO/shutter speed do not affect the DOF *at all*, it's OK to adjust them. You'll get maybe a slightly noisier shot, but not by far.

Other than that, yes, your techniques was precisely what was required - focus the camera to the same point and take two shots, one with min aperture, and another with the max one.

Hope to see more from you, if you have time:-)
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    The Blue Bench Sequil
    Sorry, I couldn't resist putting a tilt to this as I haven't seen things the same since the last class....heh...nevermind

28mm f/3.5 1/1000 sec

97029742-L.jpg

28mm f/18 1/40 sec.

97029743-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited September 22, 2006
    Swartzy,
    Swartzy wrote:
    Sorry, I couldn't resist putting a tilt to this as I haven't seen things the same since the last class....heh...nevermind
    28mm f/3.5 1/1000 sec
    28mm f/18 1/40 sec.

Thanks!
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2006
    I just received my 50mm f/1.4 from BH Photo and this assignment looked like a perfect test case for it. The perfect lens for dramatic differences in DoF is wide and fast. 50mm is as wide as I go in fast lenses (on my full frame 5D it is, of course, it is wider than it would be on a 1.6 crop body), so here we go:

Shallow DoF (f/1.6)

97260383-L.jpg

Deep DoF (f/22)
    97259528-L.jpg

The focus point in both images is the leaf at the far end of the near bench which is about 10 feet away. The hyperfocal distance for 50mm at f/22 is around 15 feet and as a result as you can see the trees in the far field are still somewhat out of focus in the stopped down image. When looking close up (not visible at this scale) the whole image at f/22 is somewhat soft presumably due to diffraction.

I learned a few other things about my Canon 50mm f/1.4 while studying these shots. The lens is very soft at f/1.4 but sharpens up quite quickly as you stop down and is very crisp by f/2.0. The lens also vignettes significanly when wide open. I corrected both these images with DxO Optics which cleans up the vignetting quite nicely. DxO Optics also signficantly improves the sharpness at f/1.6 and f/1.8 but still leaves the images lacking somewhat for contrast (most noticably at f/1.6). In practice I will try to avoid using the 50mm at apetures wider than f/2.0 and consider opening to f/1.4 only as a desparation measure.
    edited September 23, 2006
    Hey, L.A.
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I just received my 50mm f/1.4 from BH Photo and this assignment looked like a perfect test case for it. The perfect lens for dramatic differences in DoF is wide and fast. 50mm is as wide as I go in fast lenses (on my full frame 5D it is, of course, it is wider than it would be on a 1.6 crop body), so here we go:

Shallow DoF (f/1.6)

Deep DoF (f/22)

The focus point in both images is the leaf at the far end of the near bench which is about 10 feet away. The hyperfocal distance for 50mm at f/22 is around 15 feet and as a result as you can see the trees in the far field are still somewhat out of focus in the stopped down image. When looking close up (not visible at this scale) the whole image at f/22 is somewhat soft presumably due to diffraction.

I learned a few other things about my Canon 50mm f/1.4 while studying these shots. The lens is very soft at f/1.4 but sharpens up quite quickly as you stop down and is very crisp by f/2.0. The lens also vignettes significanly when wide open. I corrected both these images with DxO Optics which cleans up the vignetting quite nicely. DxO Optics also signficantly improves the sharpness at f/1.6 and f/1.8 but still leaves the images lacking somewhat for contrast (most noticably at f/1.6). In practice I will try to avoid using the 50mm at apetures wider than f/2.0 and consider opening to f/1.4 only as a desparation measure.

(I like your initials, matches my place:-) :D

Congrats on a (great!) new lens and a nice entry! thumb.gif

It's awesome that you get to know your new toy and realize its cons and pros for yourself (and the rest of us). :):

I also think the difference between the shots would be more dramatic is you had got closer to the bench and focused on its nearer end rather than farther one, don't you agree? headscratch.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    I happened to find a shot I liked that was just a plain old bench, so I thought I'd post it up. :):

Sorry I couldn't go up to f/22...it was raining and I was w/o tripod. ne_nau.gif I thought f/8 still did a good job of distinguishing the DOF though. thumb.gif

35mm f/2 (focal point should be obvious :):)
    97904081-L.jpg

35mm f/8
    97903831-L.jpg
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
    Botanist,
    botanist wrote:
    I happened to find a shot I liked that was just a plain old bench, so I thought I'd post it up. :):

Sorry I couldn't go up to f/22...it was raining and I was w/o tripod. ne_nau.gif I thought f/8 still did a good job of distinguishing the DOF though. thumb.gif

35mm f/2 (focal point should be obvious :):)
    35mm f/8

Thank you for the entry! Nice rose! thumb.gif
    Now, do you think you can speed it up? mwink.gif
  • botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for the entry! Nice rose! thumb.gif
    Now, do you think you can speed it up? mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif

yes my apologies...I run several sites myself on top of the 9-5 programming I do...sometimes I can't get to these threads w/ the quickness I once had. mwink.gif
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Congrats on a (great!) new lens and a nice entry! thumb.gif

It's awesome that you get to know your new toy and realize its cons and pros for yourself (and the rest of us). :):
    Thanks. I was quite happy to see my results with the 50 match the review I read of the lens before I bought it.
    Nikolai wrote:
    I also think the difference between the shots would be more dramatic is you had got closer to the bench and focused on its nearer end rather than farther one, don't you agree? headscratch.gif

I gave that a shot and it is definitely an improvement over the orginal shots. However, I did have to slightly cheat on the rules and push the focus point out bit at f/22 to sharpen up the background. Both of these shots are manually focused.

f/1.8
    98015358-L.jpg
    f/22
    98020578-L.jpg

I then spent some time playing with other approaches to the scene. This pair were shot at 200mm and do a better job of capturing the essence of what drew me to those benches in the first place. Getting this much DoF with a 200mm proved challenging. The 200mm stops down to f/32 which helped but I still ended up taking a series at slightly different focus distances and picking the best compromise.

f/2.8
    98022747-L.jpg
    f/32
    98025661-L.jpg
  • GranitGranit Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    botanist wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

yes my apologies...I run several sites myself on top of the 9-5 programming I do...sometimes I can't get to these threads w/ the quickness I once had. mwink.gif

He is not saying that you are slow...
    He is directing you towards the new assignment...on Shutter Speed...

:lol:
    Very nice retake, LA!
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Thanks. I was quite happy to see my results with the 50 match the review I read of the lens before I bought it.
    Great job on the assignment! thumb.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    More catch up, shot this while shooting LPS#2

Camera: Olympus Evolt E500
    Lens: Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Telephoto Macro ED Lens

F2.0 1/640 sec (god I love this fast lense, it' not always useful but man it's nice when you need it)
    lowDOF.jpg

F22 1/5 sec
    highDOF.jpg
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    However, my point is: in this particular class we want to change the aperture, not the focal distance.

i didn't exactly understand either until i read this post right here. i'll go hunt down a bench... :D
    edited March 21, 2007
    Pyro,
    More catch up, shot this while shooting LPS#2

Camera: Olympus Evolt E500
    Lens: Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Telephoto Macro ED Lens

F2.0 1/640 sec (god I love this fast lense, it' not always useful but man it's nice when you need it)

F22 1/5 sec

Nice DOF work! thumb.gif

Just in case you're looking for a bw treatment for the LPS... I think this image could benefit from a more agressive b/w, since the current one looks a bit flat (to me, that is). HTH iloveyou.gif
    edited March 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice DOF work! thumb.gif

Just in case you're looking for a bw treatment for the LPS... I think this image could benefit from a more agressive b/w, since the current one looks a bit flat (to me, that is). HTH iloveyou.gif

I'm always looking for more aggressive treatments, so feel free to expound on that =c) In fact there is a picture of somebody's dirty hand that I sometimes see in the ehader, that I would love to find out the way the PP was done.
    edited March 21, 2007
    Pyro,
    I'm always looking for more aggressive treatments, so feel free to expound on that =c) In fact there is a picture of somebody's dirty hand that I sometimes see in the ehader, that I would love to find out the way the PP was done.

That was Shakey, winner of the "Dirty" challenge.
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/167709/1/45468231/Large

You know you can click on those header thumbs and explore the whole gallery, don't you? :-) mwink.gif
    edited March 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    That was Shakey, winner of the "Dirty" challenge.
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/167709/1/45468231/Large

You know you can click on those header thumbs and explore the whole gallery, don't you? :-) mwink.gif

Well now I know. Any insight on how he achieved that look?
    edited March 21, 2007
    Pyro,
    Well now I know. Any insight on how he achieved that look?

Why don't you just ask him? mwink.gif

If I remember correctly, we were all high on Draganizer at the time, so it's very likely he used that action. Google for it or search dgrin or dpreview.

HTH
  • spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008