Options

spoonbill

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited December 3, 2004 in Wildlife
Hi You'll,

Just got back from a photography workshop with Ron Reznick on Florida's west coast. We spent 3 days shooting in Sanibel and Ding Darling Refuge. I have around 1000+ shots to process but I figured I would share one. This ain't the best but its the first shot of a Roseate Spoonbill in flight that I caught.

Nikon D100 and the Nikon 80-400VR lens. ISO 200, Aperture priority mode, ev adjustment +.03, 1/1000 sec at f/7.1, focal lenth 400mm

Harry
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    sounds like a great photographic experience, harry! lovely shot - the pink in the wings is *mint*
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Great Shot Harry, Birds in flight can be a real pain
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Hey Andy
    andy wrote:
    sounds like a great photographic experience, harry! lovely shot - the pink in the wings is *mint*
    I'll be posting more about the workshop later. Right now I got a few days of post processing ahead of me. yelrotflmao.gif

Thanks for the kind words.

Harry
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Lovely shot Harry.. looking forward to see the others..clap.gif
    p.s. did you really have no smuts on your sensor or did you clean it uprolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Fantastic Harry!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Hey Ed
    ehughes wrote:
    Great Shot Harry, Birds in flight can be a real pain
    How are you doing Ed? Its great hearing from you again.clap.gif

Thanks for the kind words about the pic. I'm getting the Nikon 300mm/f4 lens with 1.4 tele-converter. Hopefully that will increase my % of keepers on my birds in flight shots.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Lynn
    lynnma wrote:
    Lovely shot Harry.. looking forward to see the others..clap.gif
    p.s. did you really have no smuts on your sensor or did you clean it uprolleyes1.gif
    Hey Lynn,

I'll be posting some more as soon as I get some more post work done.

My sensor was clean for the workshop. I gave it a good cleaning with my rocket airblower and eclipse fluid and swabs. I figure i should be free of dust bunnies for a few more minutes.
    Harry
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Silky Smooth
    Wow, that looks silky smooth! I'm looking forward to seeing more photos from the workshop.
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    I'm doing great Harry, how about you?

Harryb wrote:
    How are you doing Ed? Its great hearing from you again.clap.gif

Thanks for the kind words about the pic. I'm getting the Nikon 300mm/f4 lens with 1.4 tele-converter. Hopefully that will increase my % of keepers on my birds in flight shots.

Harry
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Ed
    ehughes wrote:
    I'm doing great Harry, how about you?
    Hey Ed,

I'm having a blast. Its Decemebr and I'm still wearing shorts and a T-shirt and taking dips in my pool and hot tub. If I was still in NYC I would be breaking out the winter clothing.

Retirement is marvelous. I'm shooting up a storm and even have a few folks who want to pay for my pics.clap.gif

I got to do the Reznick workshop and th eweek before I did a local workshop and attneded a couple of classes on photoshop and wildlife photography as part of the area's Wildlife and Birding Festival.

The only cloud thats raining on my parade is the US Army as it's sending my son to Iraq at the end of the year. :eek1

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Lynn,

I'll be posting some more as soon as I get some more post work done.

My sensor was clean for the workshop. I gave it a good cleaning with my rocket airblower and eclipse fluid and swabs. I figure i should be free of dust bunnies for a few more minutes.
    I have all the stuff to clean mine but hav'ent plucked up the courage yet.. it's too easy to clone out the little buggers but it's getting worse and worse...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Its not that hard Lynn
    lynnma wrote:
    I have all the stuff to clean mine but hav'ent plucked up the courage yet.. it's too easy to clone out the little buggers but it's getting worse and worse...rolleyes1.gif
    I was surprised how easy it was. The first time was nerve wracking though. I was sure I was going to ruin my new camera.

Before you start using the eclispse fluid I would give it a good blow with a hand blower. Most of the time that does it for me. If the blower doesn't work then I go to the fluid and swabs.

I take and process to many pics to be doing the cloning number on each pic.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Nice capture Harry. You must be having a BLAST.
    Hope I can make it down there in the future.
    Yeah,keep rubbing it in about the climate FLIPA.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 1, 2004
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi You'll,

Just got back from a photography workshop with Ron Reznick on Florida's west coast. We spent 3 days shooting in Sanibel and Ding Darling Refuge. I have around 1000+ shots to process but I figured I would share one. This ain't the best but its the first shot of a Roseate Spoonbill in flight that I caught.

Nikon D100 and the Nikon 80-400VR lens. ISO 200, Aperture priority mode, ev adjustment +.03, 1/1000 sec at f/7.1, focal lenth 400mm

Harry

That sounds like a truly great experience - I need to put that on my list of things to do before I depart this mortal coilthumb.gif

Great looking roseate spoonbill Harry! Show us some more, Please!1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    Nir
    Nir wrote:
    Fantastic Harry!
    Hi Nir,

Thanks so much for the kind comment and for taking the time to respond.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Lynn, I did it for the first time on Saturday - no worries!
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    Harry, what was the itinery like on the workshop? Did you feel you learnt much, as it sounds like you've a lot of experience anyway.
    I was chatting about workshops the other night with a friend and would be keen to hear your thoughts.
    Lovely shot, look forward to seeing more

thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    Hey John
    MHJS wrote:
    Nice capture Harry. You must be having a BLAST.
    Hope I can make it down there in the future.
    Yeah,keep rubbing it in about the climate FLIPA.gif
    John,

What me rub it in about our local weather? Nah, I wouldn't do that. Every time I take a dip in the hot tub I think how much I miss those winter fashions, the snow, the ice, the shoveling. It brings a tear to my eye. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the kind comment. If you ever get down to Florida's Space Coast let me know and I'll show you around the local bird hot spots.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    Beware of what you ask for
    pathfinder wrote:
    That sounds like a truly great experience - I need to put that on my list of things to do before I depart this mortal coilthumb.gif

Great looking roseate spoonbill Harry! Show us some more, Please!1drink.gif
    Hi Pathfinder,

Thanks for the kind words. Had to laugh though asking me to show more pictures is like asking a wino to go to a wine tasting.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 2, 2004
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Pathfinder,

Thanks for the kind words. Had to laugh though asking me to show more pictures is like asking a wino to go to a wine tasting.

Harry
    :D:D:Dclap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Harry, what was the itinery like on the workshop? Did you feel you learnt much, as it sounds like you've a lot of experience anyway.
    I was chatting about workshops the other night with a friend and would be keen to hear your thoughts.
    Lovely shot, look forward to seeing more

thanks thumb.gif
    Hi Gubbs,

The workshop was a shooters dream. We met usually around 6:15 and shot at the beach during the sunrise hours, then we went over to Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge and shot during the morning hours. When the light hot harsh we returned to the hotel and Ron Reznick covered exposure, white balance, camera settings (we were alll Nikon folks), composition and post processing. Around 4 we headed back to the beach for sunset and more shooting. Then we went back to the hotel and did some post work until 8 or 9. That was our basic schedule for the 3 days.

Ron was incredible. The man has more energy the energizer bunny and he's a walking light meter. He would look at a scene and call out the WB settings and EV adjustments and usually was right on the money. There were 8 participants and we got a chance to use each other's camera bodies, lenses , and other equipment.

Before the workshop I was kind of stuck and just kept repeating what i had been doing previously. This workshop has really re-energized me. It showed me how much I have to learn yet. I used to do a lot of post processing on my shots and relied on layer masks to correct a lot of my misjudgements on exposure. In my post processing of my shots from the workshop I'm doing very little post work because I nailed the exposure and wb when I got the shot. I've applied a layer mask to only one shot so far. If you have a chance to do a similar workshop jump at the opportunity.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    Ow yuck
    That is a really good photo Harry bowdown.gif
    I can see where the courses start paying off! Man I AM JEALOUS :D You already did good, now it's gotten even better clap.gif
    Thanks for sharing Harry!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2004
    Michiel
    That is a really good photo Harry bowdown.gif
    I can see where the courses start paying off! Man I AM JEALOUS :D You already did good, now it's gotten even better clap.gif
    Thanks for sharing Harry!
    Michiel,

Great hearing from you. I can see a definite improvement in my pics from the workshop. Itwas a better investment than a new lens. Thanks for commenting.

Harry
    Harry