Options

David's Bridal update

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited September 19, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Well as some of you know I've been a David's Bridal vendor for some time.... Things are going okay but not like I wanted so I've been creating new ways to get my name out and get this business off the ground.

Saturday we went to the store and setup our studio. Anyone trying on dresses that day could walk over to our setup and we'd shoot some photos of them. It was a hit. They ladies seems to love the idea and we were able to talk to many people that day. Here's a few examples of what we were up to.

95774255-L.jpg

95765174-L.jpg

95763319-L.jpg

95757731-L.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    excellent idea. Did you think of it yourself or is it already being done? That sort of promotion should go a long way.
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    Great shots Scott!!!!

Did you print them for them or put them on your site so they could purchase?
    They will surely remember you when they are picking out a photographer!
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Awesome idea!!!
    kc7dji wrote:
    Saturday we went to the store and setup our studio. Anyone trying on dresses that day could walk over to our setup and we'd shoot some photos of them. It was a hit. They ladies seems to love the idea and we were able to talk to many people that day. Here's a few examples of what we were up to.
    Hope you enjoy!

Really like it! Great thinking!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    It was my decision to do such a thing. I talked to David's Bridal and they were very excited at the store. I went in Saturday morning setup the studio right in the middle of the store and every customer has to walk past me to get to the fitting rooms rolleyes1.gif

This is my pro-active approach to getting my photo business off the ground. I've been in to the store many time and people aren't interested in talking to me because they are there to buy a dress. I've had a very difficult time selling photography that way.... soo... I decided to take this approach. I can say with ease it was very sucessful.

I didn't have any photoshoots scheduled for that day so all in all I can't say I lost any money. It was fun and we felt like we were the highlight of the store. Each of the bridal consultants encouraged their customers to walk over and have their photos taken.

We posted 115 photos from that Saturday and believe it or not even got a photo purchase out of it...lol

We've also put the gallery link on our website and now post the next date we'll be on location to host another free photo event!
    http://www.3rdplanetphotography.com/

Here's the whole album if anyone cares to see....
    http://3rdplanetphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1899044
  • Options
    Stormdancing,

I'm not doing any printing. This was entirely for the brides to try on dresses, get photos done, and look at the photos later to help with decisions and all. Most people bring their point-n-shoots with them anyway but when they see that studio setup the are usually willing to come on over and have "real" photos taken. One person has ordered photos already. Not a big one but I never expected "any" orders from these shoots.

This is our great attempt at getting our name out. I'm hoping that when they do decice on a photographer they will remember us. bowdown.gif

So far it's been a hit and it's only been one day. We are going back on October 14th for round 2. I'll keep everyone updated.

Great shots Scott!!!!

Did you print them for them or put them on your site so they could purchase?
    They will surely remember you when they are picking out a photographer!
  • Options
    I'm a paying member to be the photographer for this David's Bridal store. It cost me a good chunck of money but they pretty much turn me loose on Ideas to help my own sales. They love it when something creative comes up and they can all benefit from it.

There were 39 bride appointments for that day and if I can do this more often then it's "almost" as good as attending all the bridal shows in the area. They all need a dress and many of them come to David's Bridal for their great sales.

I'm gonna keep it up for a while.... if all goes well I'll pick up the other David's Bridal store here in St. Louis and I'll have the whole area. They only host 1 photographer per store... I like that idea!

thumb.gif

photodoug wrote:
    excellent idea. Did you think of it yourself or is it already being done? That sort of promotion should go a long way.
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    What a FANTASTIC idea!! Great thinking!

Best of luck with the sessions! You have come up with a great marketing idea and it sounds like it is going to be a huge success!

Heather
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2006
    Heather, I'll update each month. I'm planning on at least 1 visit per month to the store. I think this is going to work! :ivar

What a FANTASTIC idea!! Great thinking!

Best of luck with the sessions! You have come up with a great marketing idea and it sounds like it is going to be a huge success!

Heather
  • Options
    cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    Great Idea. Thats what it takes new ideas..
    Good Luck, and keep us informed
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com