This or This?? ginger 73

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 20, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
96046571-L.jpg

Frame or no frame?????

96046570-L.jpg

I prefer the frame, but then I always have, so I need a disinterested party's ideas, please..........

I cleaned up the dock. I hope the people there will appreciate it. Birds will probably just mess it up again, smile,

ginger (good luck all)

96046573-L.jpg

Compromise here????? smile, mornin' g
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    I like frames so i will say frame but i tell you what G ...thats a great shot clap.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    thanks, Gus!
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    Ginger, why do I keep having to tell you this? DON'T FRAME YOUR BEAUTIFUL SHOTS. All it does is distract from your great images. It adds nothing. Be confident of your shots. Let them sell themselves. This particular one will probably win this contest. Why turn it into a poster and add those redundant words and make the image smaller.
    If not now, when?
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    Ginger, regardless of the frame or no frame dabate.
    It's a great shot.

Good luck on the competition. I see you already posted.

-Jon

P.S. Your frames are pretty rad.
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    I've missed your framed photo's Ginger :cry
    Beautiful photo by the waythumb.gif
    May I take your picture?
  • JoanJoan Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    When I looked at the shot with the frame, it drew my attention away from the beautiful photography -- I looked at the words, then paid attention to the large amount of white space. What I really wanted to savor was your excellent photo, Ginger. So, IMHO, no frame.
    ~ Joan

Photo gallery: http://jbarnett.smugmug.com
  • queequegqueequeg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    Your frame is quite beautiful -- but the shot is even more so. My two cents is no frame. Any time I can see more detail in a photo only enhances it.
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Ginger,

I like both, framed and not framed - great shot!. As some people said, the frame draws attention to the frame first and then the photo. Maybe this could be remedied by using a smaller frame - just a thought.

-judy
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    I'm partial to the frame. Very nice shot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I'm with Rutt on this one. I love the photo taking up most of my screen. The texture of the posts - the details on the birds - the overall feel of the beautifully composed shot are just wonderful. I prefer no distractions. That said, I think the photo will do just as well in the challenge either way. It is a strong entry.

Did I mention that I really love this photograph?

Virginia

Email
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    1) No frame. (but your compromise submission with the minimal frame is OK)
    2) Great photo.

I can see some of the spots where you cleaned up the pier. How about posting the original here so we can see how messy the birds really were?

Did I remember to say "great photo"?
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
    Here is the dirty dock, I posted it that way originally. I didn't work it up to enter and never gave the dock a thought.
    I was tired, in a hurry, and had never cleaned a dirty dock before. It was difficult finding clean areas to use, smile.
    I don't like, for myself, dirty beaches, so it only stands to reason that I would prefer a clean dock hanging in my house, smile again.
    thanks for the nice words!

95961230-L-1.jpg
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    Without the frame, your entry is a wonderful meal prepared by a great chef. With the frame, it is a gourmet meal with a fine wine and wonderful diner companions. The large white frame did not distract me at all and enhanced my enjoyment of the photo.
    Without the frame, your entry is a wonderful meal prepared by a great chef. With the frame, it is a gourmet meal with a fine wine and wonderful diner companions. The large white frame did not distract me at all and enhanced my enjoyment of the photo.

Thank you, Kurt! This frame issue is interesting.

People do not seem to be neutral.

I wonder if it has to do with the monitor?

I like your analogies, smile,

ginger
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    Framed is nice, in a tourist shop. But without it, the photo has much greater impact on one's screen.

And it is a truly outstanding shot. With or without a clean dock!

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Usually I do not care for frames. In this case, I think unframed it is a great photo, and agree with Rutt, as the frame can take a bit away from the photo.

However, framed (the second one), it takes on a new purpose as art. Now it is more than a photo, and I think that is a good thing.

Nice job,either way
  • jedgar8585jedgar8585 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    My vote is for no frames. I think the photo is beautiful without it.
    Just a thought: in the real world people are going to use some method to get the photo to stick on the wall, smile.

It would be interesting to get perspectives on correct framing of photos.

Mattes, yes, no, simple black frame, on canvas........ornate frame?

Fitting the photo with the frame into surroundings, etc.

Obviously, I know nothing on the subject.

But it would be interesting to hear what others think/are doing in this area with their photos.

Also, changes in ideas since.............whenever one last thought about this.

ginger
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    I really like this shot! :) I think it works great for the challenge too.

As far as the border goes I think the large white border is too overpowering over the image and the other border is a little off too. I do like borders though! I think maybe if you just had the small white border...I dunno. But the shot is awesome!
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    i think framing usually always increases the visual impact of the photo. just perhaps not as large of a frame.

when people see photos in galleries, they are matted and mounted almost all the time. for a reason.

photos usually look best inside some sort of frame, and not just in tourist shops, which is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • JoanJoan Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    cmason wrote:
    Usually I do not care for frames. In this case, I think unframed it is a great photo, and agree with Rutt, as the frame can take a bit away from the photo.

However, framed (the second one), it takes on a new purpose as art. Now it is more than a photo, and I think that is a good thing.

Nice job,either way
    I had written "no frames" earlier, yet I like the distinction presented by cmason above. When I put one of my photographs on a wall in my home, I wouldn't think of NOT putting it in a matte and frame. But just to enjoy the photography, I don't think frames are necessary (however, Ginger, I have rarely seen anyone frame a shot as well as you do). It does make me think about what kinds of mattes and frames really enhance a photo and what detracts.

Also :D I had not even noticed the cleaned up dock until it was mentioned!
    ~ Joan

Photo gallery: http://jbarnett.smugmug.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    What a very nice shot, Ginger. Love the depth and the pattern, and the long shadows are cool.

Who cares about a frame?

As you say, a print will be framed. I don't care if a web image is framed or not. I wouldn't make a print with the Photoshop frame on it tho, that would be redundant.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    frame-shlame. (wait..can we see it with a woodgrain frame mounted on a red wall? Laughing.gif)

this is the digital realm folks, i suppose you can add digital frames but the photo will always speak louder than the area around it.

i love that photo btw, if it doesnt make it to the top 10, then i dont know what went wrong!!

wings.gif
    :ivar
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    Frame, that´s all I have to say :D

Byron M.
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    Wonderful shot, Ginger.thumb.gif

I prefer the small frame.
    Thanks, you all. I am enjoying the "framing thoughts".

And on that line.............

I got an exciting notice yesterday from the "guys" at smugmug that someone had bought an 11 X 14 photo from mewings.gif , and you all know I NEVER use emoticons, but that is exciting.

What is scary is they bought the one with the small border like I did for the challenge entry.

I usually work them up both ways. And they can be difficult if even I am not carefully checking, as to which is which, on smugmug as they have their own white "border" around everything, looks good, too..

So, for public view, I put out the ones w/o a border. Except in this case the two got separated, just that AM or whatever............and the person bought the wrong one.

I can tell because these nice people at smugmug let me know which photo was bought, and I could see right there the words "border".

I hope it doesn't ruin this person's print. Since I can't do anything about it, I have hoped that out of mind, etc........I am just not worrying.

But this discussion reminded me of that. By making my borders smaller and less objectionable.................someone bought one with a border, and I hope it is OK. (It is a small border, enlarge the matte?)

smile, ginger