gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    Powerful photographs!
    Thanks for the links Nir
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    Heavy stuff.

I can't imagine going this far for a photo. I wonder how many photographers are injured or killed every year in places such as these.

Doug
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 2, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Heavy stuff.

I can't imagine going this far for a photo. I wonder how many photographers are injured or killed every year in places such as these.

Doug

Many......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Heavy stuff.

Doug
    Have you seen "Live from Baghdad" which is written by Robert Wiener (the cnn reporter involved). Don't know how accurate it is but it gives an idea of the lengths they go to and the risks taken to get a story. Not a bad film either.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Have you seen "Live from Baghdad" which is written by Robert Wiener (the cnn reporter involved). Don't know how accurate it is but it gives an idea of the lengths they go to and the risks taken to get a story. Not a bad film either.

Yea, that was an interesting flick - I was thinking the whole time, "These people are nuts!"

Some of these pictures invoke the same response but at the same time I'm glad that someone has the feeling that their work is important enough to take the risk. These are photos that we sometimes need to see if for no other reason than a reality check.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    Phil U. wrote:
    Yea, that was an interesting flick - I was thinking the whole time, "These people are nuts!"

Some of these pictures invoke the same response but at the same time I'm glad that someone has the feeling that their work is important enough to take the risk. These are photos that we sometimes need to see if for no other reason than a reality check.
    Yes Phil we live in a very harsh world... not much has changed over the centuries has it.....
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    I'm glad you started this thread, Nir. I'm endlessly fascinated by powerful news photographsI sorta divide photography into two segments. There's the image we create out of our own imaginations. And there's the image that's powerful because it was taken in a powerful setting. Obviously, you need skill to make either happen.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    I really appreciate photjournalism. I think these guys do great stuff. They really put 1000 words into each photo. I aspire to achieve 10% of what they do.

Haven't seen "Live from Baghdad", haven't heard of it, but now that you mentioned it Gubbs I will make an effort to see it.

And, I'll let you guys know what I think of World Press Photo 2004 as soon as I visit.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts