Options

What are UK farmers smokin'?

waveneymanwaveneyman Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited September 22, 2006 in Landscapes
Out for an evening stroll in Thetford forest in Norfolk, UK and came on this field of the evil weed - about 200 acres of the stuff and right by a main road :wink
What's next? poppies? :rofl

_ICT8772.jpg

_ICT8777.jpg

waveney

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    I wish I could have been there with my harvesting equipment. :cry Nice shots taht I'm going to move on over to the Field and Street Forum.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    Looks like a legal hemp field. We've been growing hemp for rope since Great Britain sailed the World and ruled the waves.

As that was age's ago there is not much call for traditional rope anymore.

There are no buds and it's certainly not a crop of Durban Poison...

The UK grows under lights...

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    There's no buds :cry

Bodwick is right, its hemp. The things you can make with hemp are endless, and it grows a lot faster than trees.

Its a miracle plant...and so is its budding brother! thumb.gif :ivar
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Harry i can assure you all you will get is a headache from that stuff (im told) Grown commercialy here also.
  • Options
    ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    gus wrote:
    Harry i can assure you all you will get is a headache from that stuff (im told) Grown commercialy here also.

Unless i'm out of date quite a few restrictions still apply, in the meantime we import the bulk of what we require from China
    Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • Options
    ed_h wrote:
    Unless i'm out of date quite a few restrictions still apply, in the meantime we import the bulk of what we require from China
    Ed
    Yep restrictions alright...australia also grows 50% of the worlds 'legal' poppies & has done for 30 years. (afganistan would no doubt grow 99% of the illegal)
  • Options
    Thanks for looking guys. Yep of course it's just hemp, but up until special dispensation by the uk government a couple of years or so ago, it was virtually impossible to grow a commercial crop even for the fibres alone and then it had to be grown in out-of-way fields so as not to cause joe public to go off the rails. rolleyes1.gif Travelling in France you could see fields of it even 20 years ago, but in Norfolk?
    i did some climbing in the Atlas mountains some years ago and the smell at dawn of high altitude resin laden cannabis was heady stuff..... just an observation of course :D

waveney
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    waveneyman wrote:
    i did some climbing in the Atlas mountains some years ago and the smell at dawn of high altitude resin laden cannabis was heady stuff..... just an observation of course :D

waveney

:oogle drif.gif
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2006
    gus wrote:
    ...australia also grows 50% of the worlds 'legal' poppies & has done for 30 years.

I didn't know that headscratch.gif

waveney
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2006
    waveneyman wrote:
    I didn't know that headscratch.gif

waveney
    How do you think we ended up with all the silly animals ?