Trip to my cabin in Rjukan, Norway

ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited October 2, 2006 in Journeys
My cabin is somewhat far from civilization (which i like) and about 1200 meters above sea level. It was built by my ancestors in 1864.

Anyway, I decided to spend one week all alone this time. Just walking around taking pictures. I had a very special encounter during this week.

Here is the cabin

3august07.jpg

31juli05.jpg

One day i was walking on top of one of the mountains near by my cabin. I was trying to find a nice spot for a picture. As i was coming round a curve i swear i almost stepped on a reindeer lying on the ground eating. Below is a picture for illustration.

3august03.jpg

At the top you can see my cabin and at the bottom you can see the reindeer. I had a heavy wind against me and as i was coming from behind him, so he didn't notice me. I went back and i laid down about 3 meters above him just watching him eat. I didn't have good shot at this time.

After about 15 minutes he started to react to something. Probably me. He looked all confused and started to run. I felt desperate because i only had a shot of him from behind, so i started to run after him. At the top on an edge he stopped and turned around. He looked me straight in the eyes. I didn't know if i should run like hell or if i should point my camera on him.

3august05.jpg

Well, i got some shots before he disappeared.

Sunset

31juli06.jpg

Throwing rocks is fun

3august08.jpg

Fishing trout

2august03.jpg

Comments

• ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    Two Rough-legged Hawks and a couple of Northern harriers was nesting near by as well. Very difficult to get close shots of them since they are very protective of their nests and i didn't want to bother them too much either. Exciting when approaching their nest though, because they circle around over you making scary noises.

Northern harrier

31juli03.jpg

Rough-legged Hawk

01august03.jpg

Norway lemming

30juli02.jpg

Melanoplus frigidus. Not sure of the english name. This one lives in Scandinavia, Alpes in Europe, North mountains in Russia, and North in Canada

30juli01.jpg

Some of the pictures i took. Thanks for looking :D
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Now they are cool shots thumb.gif How was the lemming ?
    Thank you! The Lemming tasted like chicken :D
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    It must have been amazing, spending a week up there all by yourself. And a great shot of a reindeer to boot!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    Great photos
    Love the reflections very nice.

Everything tastes like chicken :D

Fred
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    Looks like a horrible place to be. I'm not at all jealous. bowdown.gif

Great shots.

Malte
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    Great shots and a lovely location.
    It looks a lot like Scotland but I'd say our trout are much bigger than yours...:D

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    Beautiful, both the pictures and the place. Thanks for sharing.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    Beautiful shots. Your images made me ache with a sense of loneliness I haven't felt in a long time. When I was younger, before I had my family or met my partner, twilight made me lonely and sad. I felt as if I was missing these people I hadn't even met yet but were destined to be connected to me. It was strange to feel that way--even then I thought so.

Your images reminded me of that time--of searching and longing. Maybe it's the obvious isolation and breath-taking beauty.

Nice work and thanks for sharing.
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2006
    Thankyou
    Thankyou so much for the great pictures and story. I've never been away from North America (we live in Canada) and it's wonderful to see such cool illustrations from ordinary people just like us showing us your part of the world.

Somebody should start an on line "Amateur Geographic Society"

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    Being able to step away from everything and go to a place that is completely disconnected from the world is such an amazing thing. It really makes you stop and think about the things that are really important in your life. Also, knowing that many members of your family before you have done the same thing must add a little something extra to the experience.

Standing face to face with a huge Reindeer must have been a scary experience! I understand that they can be somewhat aggressive, at least I know that Deer and Elk here in Colorado can be. I'm sure I would have tucked my camera under my arm and ran as fast as I could the other way!

Excellent set of photos, thanks for taking us along to such a special place :D
    Charla
    Thanks a lot for your heartwarming comments, folks! Yes, it's really a paradise and a wonderful place to be to reload ones batteries.

I didn't see a single soul the whole week. Below is a not so good panorama to show you an overview of the place. My cabin the small dot by the water upper right.

035.jpg
  • HaystackHaystack Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    Beautiful Photos, love the reindeer and it is great you have taken good care of that ancesteral cabin for 100+ yrs....man you are old. thumb.gif
  • GKRichieGKRichie Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2006
    Wow, Norway is beautiful. The pictures are amazing. If that red cabin is yours, then I envy you. It must be an amazing place to stay
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    Thank you for the beautiful journey! Your shots are stunning and the location and isolation of your cabin is to be envied. I was in awe reading about your experience with the reindeer (wonderful shot!). When one lives in such a congested area as I do, it is hard to realize places like this do exist!
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Magnificent shots. I love the sunset (which has become sucha cliche subject0 but you pull it off with aplomb. The reindeer is National Geographic calibre. Really great stuff. Thanks for sharing. clap.gif
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site