Options

My D2H just came back from Nikonland

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited September 23, 2006 in Cameras
Hi Y'all,

My D2H finally came back from Nikonland and I was one happy puppy. They had replaced the bayonet mount, the aperture operation, the rubber grip, the rewind side rubber, the base plate and card cover plus a general cleaning for $410.00.

My happiness started to ebb when I saw a crack in the viewing screen that had not been there when I shipped it to Nikonland. It hit rock bottom when I attached a lens to the camera, put the viewfinder to my eye and saw blackness!!! I tried another lens and still saw nada. I depressed the shutter release took a shot and saw blackness. I took off the lens and the mirror was down and would not come up.

Now I bought the D2H in 3/05 and it went in for service on 7/05 and again on 10/05 for metering issues. I had to send it back a third time this month for the metering & focusing issues. Now its going back for the 4th time in 18 months.

After speaking with the service dept and arranging for its return to those good folks I then called customer service and had a hissy fit. The nice gent named Dirk just called me back and said that they would refund the $410 charge. he also said that he think he found the reason for the botched repair. The last agent had made a typo and had listed my camera as a D1H and Dirk thinks they treated it as D1H when they made the repairs. actions1.gif I find that hard to believe as the invoice said D2H, the camera said D2H, my letter said D2H but then again I spent 3 years in the Army and I have seen dumber things happen.

Is there a moral to this tale? Yeah, hissy fits works. Also keeping all the papers on your cameras and dealings with your camera company is also quite helpful.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    If it's any consolation: I had quite the experience with Olympus repair services as well. I sent in my Olympus E-1 for a sensor repair (it had a bad column showing up in high ISO). First time, they repaired the rubber grip and gave a full servicing (including some AF adjustments). But they did nothing about the sensor. No checking, no repair. So I sent it in again, with a proof of the error. Only to get it back with a notice: we can see the fault in the image you sent, but can't reproduce. In stead of asking me how to reproduce (which I could have done without a problem), they asked me to check my accessories. Obviously none made a difference. The service staff didn't reply my messages any more, so I got quite a bit upset, and in the end took things up with the service manager. She restored my faith in service again by giving me a good arrangement. In the end, Olympus gave me a brand new camera body with a 2 year warranty. So all is well what ends well, but it gave me 8 weeks of annoyance and life without a camera to shoot with.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2006
    Hey Marlof,

Someone else's problems never console me. However the common theme is that you have to stick to your guns with the company until you get some satisfaction. You can't suck your thumb you have to be persistent and demanding.

I have had similar problems with my electric oven, my hurricane shields, my cabinetry, my lawn sprinklers, my jukebox, my cable service, my wife's PC (I told her not to buy a Gateway), and my lighting. I don't think anything is made right these days. :pissed
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2006
    Harry's hissy fit
    I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Dee wrote:
    I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that! rolleyes1.gif

Its my ultimate weapon, perfected by 57 years of living in NYC. :rambo
    Harry
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    so is the moral of the story $$$ comes back and camera looks like new headscratch.gif when it comes back that is :D I have taken the d7o in so much I married the girl at the counter rolleyes1.gif no really rolleyes1.gif but they have always taken great care --it did take 4 trips and 1 year- dallas got his replaced with a d70s when they messed up- they all make mistakes but Nikon in my deallings with them have gone over the edge to be helpful got my camera back in 5 days before I left for yosemite [dgrin trip] with luck this trip your camera will not get home sick and want to go back to Nikon land again be nice and talk with her more this time when she gets back wings.gif sorry Harry i do know the frustration I have to take my d2h back also --again 2 trips this year :cry but i will stay away from dic oh dirk i meen I will talk again with the ex
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    Ya sure they sent you your camera back Harry? Check the serial number.

It sounds like it worked better when you sent it in the first time..

The first thing I did when my box came back from Canon Factory Service was to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I didn't find anything to be upset about fortunately.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Harryb wrote:
    Is there a moral to this tale? Yeah, hissy fits works.
    So does Canon naughty.gif
  • Options
    jwear wrote:
    so is the moral of the story $$$ comes back and camera looks like new headscratch.gif when it comes back that is :D I have taken the d7o in so much I married the girl at the counter rolleyes1.gif no really rolleyes1.gif but they have always taken great care --it did take 4 trips and 1 year- dallas got his replaced with a d70s when they messed up- they all make mistakes but Nikon in my deallings with them have gone over the edge to be helpful got my camera back in 5 days before I left for yosemite [dgrin trip] with luck this trip your camera will not get home sick and want to go back to Nikon land again be nice and talk with her more this time when she gets back wings.gif sorry Harry i do know the frustration I have to take my d2h back also --again 2 trips this year :cry but i will stay away from dic oh dirk i meen I will talk again with the ex

Hey Jeff,

All of my past dealing with their repair center has been fine but they really dropped the ball this time. I'm sure that in the end I will be happy with the final result. That said it is unacceptable to me to have to send a camera in to the service center 4 times in the space of approx. 18 months for basically the same issue.

If I made my $ with a the camera I would be in a very hard place. I feel that when these situations come up we should not just sit back and say "well they are trying and they will fix the problem eventually". We have to let them know this is unacceptable to us and demand better. This is just the beginning of a protracted series of communications I will be having with Nikon on this matter. The metering issue with the D2H is well known but it should not take 3 tries to resolve it. Also I will have some explanation of what the hell they did to the camera on its last visit.
    Harry
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ya sure they sent you your camera back Harry? Check the serial number.

It sounds like it worked better when you sent it in the first time..

The first thing I did when my box came back from Canon Factory Service was to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I didn't find anything to be upset about fortunately.

Hey PF,

I did check the serial number and it was the same camera that I sent to them. It did work better before I sent it in. I had to make some wild ass adjustments but I could take a picture with it. Its really hard to compose a shot and you can't see anything through the viewfinder.
    Harry