LensBaby...

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited December 4, 2004 in Accessories
I just happened to see this Ad over at Rob's and it caught my eye. I love experimental stuff like this. Anyone ever used it or know of anyone that has?

http://www.lensbabies.com/pages/using.php
Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    I just happened to see this Ad over at Rob's and it caught my eye. I love experimental stuff like this. Anyone ever used it or know of anyone that has?

Huh.. thats interesting.. never seen it before.headscratch.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 3, 2004

A good friend has one, and I've played with it a bit. For the reasonable money, it's definitely a neat little toy. :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    I have one & love it. I've posted shots in the past, but not many.

Here are 2:

I believe this was taken with the f/5.6 ring installed.
    3809977-M.jpg

This was taken at f/2.8 (no aperture ring installed)
    9991847-M.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    Those are COOL, Dave! clap.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

edited December 3, 2004
    I only have one gripe with my camera + lensbaby combo. The Nikon D70 doesn't meter w/ this lens. I have to use a light meter & then dial in the settings, then shoot. This keeps me from getting many good action shots. I'm more or less limited to still objects until my skills improve.

I think Canon is able to meter on non-CPU lenses. This is the one thing keeping me from getting better people pictures, the ones I actually want.

Dave
    edited December 3, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I only have one gripe with my camera + lensbaby combo. The Nikon D70 doesn't meter w/ this lens. I have to use a light meter & then dial in the settings, then shoot. This keeps me from getting many good action shots. I'm more or less limited to still objects until my skills improve.

I think Canon is able to meter on non-CPU lenses. This is the one thing keeping me from getting better people pictures, the ones I actually want.

Dave
    Yup, the lens baby I tried was on a friend's D70. I wish I could confirm about the Canon, but don't know. ne_nau.gif
    Erik

edited December 3, 2004

edited December 3, 2004
    some samples from my friend:

070604.jpg

070804.jpg

051204.jpg

and even a digital IR lensbaby:
    051904.jpg

If you use Nikon, this one is for sale. Friend says he doesn't use it enough to justify it...
    Erik

edited December 4, 2004
    The official answer to metering with the Canon 300d.

Jesus,

You will be able to shoot on aperture priority with your Lensbaby. Rumor has it that you will need to adjust exposure down using exposure compensation by a stop or more to avoid overexposure.

You may be able to adjust the shutter speed (and ISO) in manual mode to match the meter +/- symbols just like you would do with a normal lens (minus aperture adjustments).

Have a super day.

-Craig

edited December 4, 2004
    The official answer to metering with the Canon 300d.

That is good news for Canon owners!

Do you plan on getting one?

Dave
    edited December 4, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    That is good news for Canon owners!

Do you plan on getting one?

Dave
    Yes...but I first need to experiment with new Hoya R72 filter and a Russian Fed 5B 35mm Rangefinder that will be arriving sometime in the next week or so.

But I promise to report on all of the above including the Lensbaby when I get it :D

edited December 4, 2004
    Yes...but I first need to experiment with new Hoya R72 filter and a Russian Fed 5B 35mm Rangefinder that will be arriving sometime in the next week or so.

But I promise to report on all of the above including the Lensbaby when I get it :D

I can't wait to see what you will produce with the new camera & the lensbaby.

Because of you, I've been looking for a nice used Nikon FM3a the last few weeks. I've never owned a film camera, and I'm excited about what I can do. My 17-35 will probably be on most of the time. I can't seem to get enough wide angle lately.

Dave