Strange sky

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited December 4, 2004 in Holy Macro
I snapped this quick before it left and can't help noticing the change of color in the sky either side of the rainbow... I've never noticed it before...

12128920-L.jpg

Comments

• Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    wow!
    that's a 'hot' shot Lynn!!! The division by the rainbow between the different sky-types is really cool, the trees also have a very appealing effect on the photo thumb.gif
    bowdown.gif thanks for sharing!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    that's a 'hot' shot Lynn!!! The division by the rainbow between the different sky-types is really cool, the trees also have a very appealing effect on the photo thumb.gif
    bowdown.gif thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Michiel... the sky difference is absolutely real.. I did clone a small building from the bottom left... it was ugly and I could'nt stand it...rolleyes1.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    Thats really bazaar lyn.
  • marygracemarygrace Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    I noticed the phenomenon, too, in some of my pictures of rainbows. So, I can either (a) go back to school to learn what's up or (b) believe there is magic in the world. Which would you choose?
    marygrace
    my photos go here

D200
    D70
    18-70/3.5
    85/1.8
    50/1.8
    lens baby 2.0
    edited December 4, 2004
    marygrace wrote:
    I noticed the phenomenon, too, in some of my pictures of rainbows. So, I can either (a) go back to school to learn what's up or (b) believe there is magic in the world. Which would you choose?
    Always the magic.. always..:D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I snapped this quick before it left and can't help noticing the change of color in the sky either side of the rainbow... I've never noticed it before...

12128920-M.jpg

Lynn, What yoiu photographed has been observed and recorded since the Greeks. The area outside a primary rainbow, and inside a secondary bow is called Alexander's dark band - I do not see the secondary rainbow in your image but it should be about 8 degrees further outside the primary rainbow.

In Lynch and Livingston's "Color and Light in Nature" there are numerous images of rainbows and they all demonstrate how much darker the sky is outside the rainbow than inside.

Galen Rowell favored M.G.J.Minnaert's "Light and Color in the Outdoors" for scientific explanations of light and weather in the outdoors. It was originally in French and is not light reading, but gives very thorough explanations of rainbows and fogbows.

I picked up the Minnaert reference from Galen Rowell's "Inner Game of Outdoor Photography" but Lynch and Livingston is a little easier to read and has lovely color photographs to illustrate the effects of light and weather. I found both on Amazon easily. 1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    i give this one three snowmen :D11746846-Ti.gif11746846-Ti.gif11746846-Ti.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    i wudda just said it's purdy lol3.gif

seriously, thanks for the explanation!
    pathfinder wrote:
    Lynn, What yoiu photographed has been observed and recorded since the Greeks. The area outside a primary rainbow, and inside a secondary bow is called Alexander's dark band - I do not see the secondary rainbow in your image but it should be about 8 degrees further outside the primary rainbow.

In Lynch and Livingston's "Color and Light in Nature" there are numerous images of rainbows and they all demonstrate how much darker the sky is outside the rainbow than inside.

Galen Rowell favored M.G.J.Minnaert's "Light and Color in the Outdoors" for scientific explanations of light and weather in the outdoors. It was originally in French and is not light reading, but gives very thorough explanations of rainbows and fogbows.

I picked up the Minnaert reference from Galen Rowell's "Inner Game of Outdoor Photography" but Lynch and Livingston is a little easier to read and has lovely color photographs to illustrate the effects of light and weather. I found both on Amazon easily. 1drink.gif
    edited December 4, 2004
    Thanks Charles.. oh sorry Path... no seriously, I'm grateful for your explanation, hubby of Lynnma was going nuts muttering to himself about it... decided it was the camera (how dare he).rolleyes1.gifNo change that.. he's yelling he did NOT say that but said it was recording something we could not see with the naked eye....cheeeez..eek7.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i wudda just said it's purdy lol3.gif

seriously, thanks for the explanation!

Andy, Sometimes I talk too much and come across like a school teacher. I know I do , I just can't help it sometimes. headscratch.gif But I like to share some secrets I have learned along the way.

Galen Rowell's book "Inner Game of Outdoor Photography" really deserves reading and introspection. He describes the thinking processes and inspiration for his images. For him, shooting the images, at times, was almost a matter of recording what he had already planned in his head.
    His discussion does not center on equipment, but on visualization and inspiration. There are whole articles in this book that I need to have a Hi-Liter to underline as I read, so that I can return again and again to the real stuff. The pictures are great also. His loss was a great loss to all who love the outdoors.
    There is a picture on page 201 of his book of a climber silhoutted on a spire and he is outlined by brilliant sunlight like he had been traced by a brilliant magic marker!! Rowell said of this image "I had scouted the site the previous day and knew the conditions were optimal for this effect." He shot 35mm film also - not digital. He read Minnaert's book and understood it well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    This is very nice rainbow shot. The colors really stand out. I'm also liking the light on the trees.

I hadn't noticed sky difference thing before. Now with the technical explanation I feel like I have broadened my knowledge. (I just need to purchace some more memory so stuff stops falling out each time I cram more stuff in.)