Options

portraits of Elderly people

cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited September 24, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
My wife is the Director of an Adult Day care program. Elderly people with different forms of dementia spend the day at the facility, while the family works.

I wrote up a proposal to take individual portraits of each of the participants. Simple a 5x7 in a 5x7 Frame (I wanted a 5x7 matted in an 8x10 but the facility couldn't afford it). about 20-25 people. This is for a Christmas Present to the families.

Minimally priced and charging my hourly rate for the pictures, processing and framing.

There is an activities coordinator who will help getting the people ready, combing their hair, putting some lipstick on and making them look pretty for their pictures. We may even have a volunteer from Mary Kay to help.

I wrote the proposal including, work flow, people flow and estimated times for taking portraits. My wife took it in to work. The Administrator for the entire facility saw the proposal and wants to have this done for the entire facility about 200 people. (Not the original 20). I make some money per portrait but it's a lot more work.

I look at this as an opportunity to work out the flow and offer this service to other Adult day care facilities and Long term care facilities. I hope I haven't missed something important. (I do not have a signed contract for this yet but will soon! nothing is going to happen until I do)

I have a Dual flash set up, multiple tripods and a Canon 10d and 20D and a Muslin background. I was going to set up a head a shoulder shot and have the other camera do maybe a 3/4 shot. Then pick the best shot for the frame. (This may be too much).

Because of the population, I have to move quickly to take the pictures; there is a restlessness and lack of attention.

I know this is not the hot area but it will bring in some money to pay for more camera gear.

I would appreciate ideas or areas I have missed or any ideas you may have.

Looking for ideas on how to set up a Gallery to order framed pictures (self fulfilling orders).

Sorry for being so long..
Hank Stoklosa
CornerKetch Studios
Special Olympics Delaware
www.sode.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    Sorry no help in the logistics of it, but be sure to have easy/secure seating for them, something that dosen't take effort to get onto or out of, and easily moved if you have people in wheelchairs.

Also wanted to add that you have a wonderful idea!!:saurora