Uzbekistan-Fergana Valley (I need advice)

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited September 26, 2006 in Location, Location, Location!
Hey mods, I don't know if this is the right place to post this (I don't have any photos because I haven't been yet). If it's in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.

From November 10-26 I am planning to go to Uzbekistan. I was hoping someone here had been there, so they could give me some help with the following questions:

1- Other than Tashkent, Bukhara, and Samrkand, what or the other major cities of central Uzbekistan I ought to see? Is shakrisabz worth the trip?

2-How long does it take to get from the center (tashkent) to Nukus, and from there to the Aral Sea?

3-If I go up to the Fergana valley, where is the best place to see traditional nomadic people, is it possible to rent a car here?

4- Is it worth getting a Kyrgyz visa to go the the Uzbek enclaves and see the mountains?

5- Anything else cool that someone can recommend?

Thanks!
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    Hi Justiceiro,

I've mailed a Russian friend and asked your questions. I'll let you know if I get a reply with info.

Try the yahoo group for the Tashkent challenge I'm a member there but have not done the trip yet so can't help you with specifics. Do a search, have a read of old posts then ask your questions.

How are you travelling?

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    Hey Bod, thanks for the reply. I am flying NYC-MOSCOW-TASHKENT (with a ten hour layover in Sheremyetovo, listed as one of the top ten worst airports in the world to spend time, according to sleepinginairports.com). Once we hit the ground, I really don't know.

I am think we will fly out to the Aral sea (Nukus) with Uzbek Air, then work our way back by Train to Khiva, Bokhara, and Samarkand. I don't want to have to get a tajik transit visa, so going by train to Fergana is tough (the borders are all screwed up, and the rail lines from one uzbek town to another often cross into foreing countries). So I am thinking about hiring a 4WD and driving over the passes into the Fergana valley- it depends on the weather. Some years the passes are already closed by november. If that doesn't work, we'll fly to Andizhan, and get around inside the valley from there.

We also plan to go to Osh, which requires a kyrgyz visa, but those are easier to get. I think you can tak ehorses up into the mountains there, but I'm not sure. The guidebooks are notoriously unreliable, and of course tell you to see everything- so its hard to judge how to prioritize with limted time.
    Cave ab homine unius libri