Options

Cost Shown in Shopping Cart when Prints is Clicked

StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
edited September 27, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
When a customer is in the shopping cart and they click Prints and Gifts at the bottom, they get a complete price list at cost.

Right when you got them on the hook and the sale is almost finalized, one click and they are wondering why a 4x6 is .19 and you are charging them $4!!

I know from my response from help@smugmug.com that customizing the shopping cart is not doable at this time and this is being looked into.

I hope it's at the top of the list because this is pretty important.

Is there a way to just remove the footer from the carts for now until customization becomes available? Customers could just click the Continue to Browse button to get back to a page with navigation.

I would think many would be interested in this because you don't show your customers your price list and then top it off with showing them your costs.
Dana
** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
no birds sang there except those that sang best.
~Henry Van Dyke

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    When a customer is in the shopping cart and they click Prints and Gifts at the bottom, they get a complete price list at cost.

Right when you got them on the hook and the sale is almost finalized, one click and they are wondering why a 4x6 is .19 and you are charging them $4!!

I know from my response from help@smugmug.com that customizing the shopping cart is not doable at this time and this is being looked into.

I hope it's at the top of the list because this is pretty important.

Is there a way to just remove the footer from the carts for now until customization becomes available? Customers could just click the Continue to Browse button to get back to a page with navigation.

I would think many would be interested in this because you don't show your customers your price list and then top it off with showing them your costs.

Hi Dana,

There is not presently a way to customize the cart at all, due to the security certificates and such that are involved with the secure cart transaction. We're' looking into ways to allow some of this, but nothing yet.

That notwithstanding, as to the cost of prints, and your clients possibly clicking on that link (they rarely, if ever do), don't sell yourself, or your clients, short. They know what the going rate is for a 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc, print, from a photo lab. You are a professional, and are charging for your services, craft, and art.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Dana,

That notwithstanding, as to the cost of prints, and your clients possibly clicking on that link (they rarely, if ever do), don't sell yourself, or your clients, short. They know what the going rate is for a 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc, print, from a photo lab. You are a professional, and are charging for your services, craft, and art.

I hope this helps!

Coming from near 30 years in retail accounting it's sort of hard to swallow.
    Who ever said that trying to move from one profession to something less stressful and more enjoyable was going to be easy. Old habits die hard.
    Will be watching for updates on this.

Thanks Andy
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    Coming from near 30 years in retail accounting it's sort of hard to swallow.
    Maybe it is, but it doesn't change the fact that what Andy says is absolutely correct. If you don't think your customers don't know that they can get a 4x6 print anywhere in town for a quarter or less.... People know how much prints cost to re-produce. You aren't selling them a piece of photo paper, you are selling them the image on that photo paper.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    mercphoto wrote:
    Maybe it is, but it doesn't change the fact that what Andy says is absolutely correct. If you don't think your customers don't know that they can get a 4x6 print anywhere in town for a quarter or less.... People know how much prints cost to re-produce. You aren't selling them a piece of photo paper, you are selling them the image on that photo paper.

Oh I know it's correct.
    I had the same thought last nite on that. My response to them would be - well that's for a 4x6 blank photo. The Polar Bear In Snowstorm Photo :D:D
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    Oh I know it's correct.
    I had the same thought last nite on that. My response to them would be - well that's for a 4x6 blank photo. The Polar Bear In Snowstorm Photo :D:D
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    Laughing.gif...

They all know that a 4x6 costs cents to actually print, but its whats on the paper that counts. I get paid for my shots because people can't get the same shot with their P&S (zoom, resolution, timing, bokeh), or they are too busy watching and enjoying the event to take photos.

I wouldn't worry about them knowing your margins. As far as charging 4 bucks for a 4x6... look at what other pro's are charging! I've seen lots of people asking 15-20 bucks for a 4x6. At horse events I've actually seen pro's that wont even take your picture unless you pay them $25 up front, then proof shots are mailed to you WEEKS later.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    Just to chime in, I am at $7-$8 per 4x6 and have been told many, many times that I am underpriced.

I just hope (and have seen) that at that price they are more prone to purchasing more of them.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos