Cannot "Replace" photos again, and upload questions...

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited September 27, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
First and most importantly, I have been having an intermittent issue since I started using SmugMug with the replace feature. Every time I proof a photo I cringe because I need to use this feature. Sometimes it works, sometimes the photo seems to complete uploading, then the browser changes to a white screen and sorta "times out". This happens id say 50% of the time.... usually in spurts. File size does not seem to effect the feature. I just tried uploading two files that were ~10.8MB each, but I have had similar issues with 2-3MB files. Upload... aka hermes... aka herpes.smugmug.com is the bane my existance :rofl

Short of me emailing you these files, what can we do about this? I have the same problem with IE and Firefox, from both home on my XP machine, and from work on a Qwest T1 on XP with either IE or FF.

Second, I have ~1.5Mbps upload speeds, and a 10MB file only should take a few seconds. The uploads seem to be limited to different values at different parts of the day. Its like if I upload one file at a time, I only see 40KBps, but if I simply start up another session that speed doubles to 80KBps. Today was a good day seeing as though I was getting ~64KBps per upload.

When using SendtoSmugMug, If I start one upload, I get 40, and if I go with more than 5 I get a constant 200KBps. As a test, I simply uploaded a file to my webserver and I'm getting damn near 200KBps (or 1.5Mbps).

Speed tests from a couple weeks ago to smugmug...
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3464 kbps (433 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1223 kbps (152.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

This graph shows traffic on my machine using the replace feature:

netlimiter.jpg

Any idea about this? Do you have rate limiters that are capping uploads? I haven't seen this behavior with other services... so I was just curious. Its kinda annoying to have to start a bunch of uploads just to get a high speed.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    Well I am at aloss.....I just had to go back to dial up and using the java script uploader to SM my file seem to get there pleanty quick....and I am currently using netscape dial up on a XP Pro SP 2 machine (HP Vectra 400 - Plll) ne_nau.gif.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    I cant even imagine how long it would take to upload 2500 (like 13GB) photos over dialup eek7.gif
    now I can use the replace feature.... I don't get it ne_nau.gif :deadhorse
    now the file seems to upload, but the replace window never changes. There has been no traffic from my computer for the last 10 minutes and the replace window is still up... hung.. this is a new one headscratch.gif
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    All better?
    sirsloop wrote:
    now the file seems to upload, but the replace window never changes. There has been no traffic from my computer for the last 10 minutes and the replace window is still up... hung.. this is a new one headscratch.gif

We had backlog of images waiting to process, but we've gotten it straightened out know. I'm sorry for the trouble! I would imagine "replace photo" should work just fine now.

-Anne
    edited September 27, 2006
    Thanks Anne, prompt service as usual! I'll shoot you an email if I have problems with proof's tonight :D