Options

Providing "alternates" (bw, diff crops, etc)

rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited September 27, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
How do folks currently deal with providing alternates? Two scenarios:

Black and White or Sepia: The color image looks great, but also looks killer as a Black and White or Sepia toned image.

Different Crops: As simple as it is, some folks just don't understand that an 8x10 is a different shape than a 4x6.

I think a great feature would be to somehow provide "alternate" versions of an image that would live alongside the main image, but not necessarily have it's own thumbnail in the gallery. The trouble with uploading multiple images is that is makes slideshows difficult and also means a lot of leg work for enforcing (say) "buy this image for 2:3 ratio prints, but buy this version for 4:5's".

With the crops this could be as easy as allowing us to "pre-crop" for a couple of different ratios. That way, when someone orders an 8x10 the perferred crop is automatically applied. This wouldn't require multiple images or explanations - it would just do the right thing depending on what shape of image the client purchases.

The B&W situation is a bit more difficult, since you really need to upload a completely separate image file - perhaps this is something that should be looked at as two separate features...

I'd love to hear some folks thoughts on handling this with the current SM provisions and also for the SM guys to consider this for the enhancement list.

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Black and White or Sepia: The color image looks great, but also looks killer as a Black and White or Sepia toned image.
    Since B&W require PP to make them pop, I would just consider them as completely separate images.

I have a bunch of pictures of Bodie that look good in both color and B&W so I created two galleries, one for color, one for B&W.
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Different Crops: As simple as it is, some folks just don't understand that an 8x10 is a different shape than a 4x6.
    I and others have requested this as well, most recently here.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug