Options

Point and Shoot help

SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited September 28, 2006 in Cameras
Well, I used to own an Ultra Zoom, but sold it off when I bought my 20D. I'm more than happy with the 20D, but now would like something smaller, for all of those times when a full bodied camera is just too cumbersome.

I'd like something compact, something small that I can easily fit in my pocket. Basically, something that I can always have on me and doesn't weigh down my pants. I'd like a nice all around camera, but most importantly something that I can take with me to the bar or to a concert and still be able to get off a decent shot of the stage without using a flash. IS is definitely a need as well as a camera that can handle lowlight without much noise.

I've been looking at the Fuji F30, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger and just buy it, but I already have CF cards and SD cards, whereas the Fuji takes an xD card. I guess I could just buy another memory card, but it'd be nice to use the ones I already have.

I'd also like to keep the price down to around $300, the new canon g7 looks nice, but not for $600.

Thanks in advance to any and all advice.
bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    I like those new little casios that are water proof to about 15 feet. I recon i could get some fun shots with it in the surf.

just a thought.

ne_nau.gif just went looking for a link for you & cant see one...maybe its not casio but i saw one in a shop window last week.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    gus wrote:
    I like those new little casios that are water proof to about 15 feet. I recon i could get some fun shots with it in the surf.

just a thought.

ne_nau.gif just went looking for a link for you & cant see one...maybe its not casio but i saw one in a shop window last week.
    Pentax? http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24970
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    ivar wrote:
    No..its a brand spanker. Looks like a fat credit card with all the features of a MKII.
  • Options
    its not one of the casio exilims is it?

I was looking at the z1000 for a bit, but didn't like the reviews too much, and the 10mp seems like overkill on a p&s.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioz1000/

I'm still considering the fuji. I was looking at the canon sd700 IS as well, but the price of that alone was the same as the fuji with a 1gb xD card.

p&s's are confusing. headscratch.gif
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Been eyeing the Canon SD600 myself. It is really compact, and not nearly as pricy as the SD700 IS. Of course, it doesnt have IS either. The Olympus models are very compact as well....
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited September 19, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Been eyeing the Canon SD600 myself. It is really compact, and not nearly as pricy as the SD700 IS. Of course, it doesnt have IS either. The Olympus models are very compact as well....

SD600 is a nice alternative. I do like mine.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    Look at Panasonic LZ3
    Just got my wife a Panasonic LZ3 as her first digital. We needed the long reach (goes out to 200mm) and I liked the fast lens at wide angle (f/2.8). The IS on it is really good and the LCD is big and easy to see except in sunlight.

Flash coverage is also pretty long for a compact. It takes SD memory and shutter lag is pretty low. I'd recommend taking a look at it.

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Just gave a Panasonic DMC-TZ1 to my daughter for college. May be a bit larger than you want, but it will fit in a small purse (her requirement) and/or a shirt pocket. Built in IS and with a 10x optical (yes optical) zoom and a Leica (yes Leica) lens. ISO up to 1600, 5mp CCD, Aperature Wide= 2.8, Tele= 4.2

No viewfinder (sucks).

It was so nice that I purchased one for my g/f too.

Gary

About $350
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2006
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, both panasonics were really looking good, but when I showed them to the other half I got a negative response -

"I'm happy with the camera I have, do we really need a new one?"

As the urge to say, "your camera sucks, its 5 years old, only 2mp, has a 1" lcd, and the battery dies after 20 minutes" crossed my mind, I bit my tongue and agreed we didn't really need it.

So I guess I wait now until later, maybe something else will be out in a couple of months that will convince her otherwise.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    I bit my tongue and agreed

As you should, according to the textbook "How to stay in a relationship" I have here. deal.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    Yeah, I can't complain too much, I'm pretty lucky so far in the "can we (I) have" department.

I have a feeling if I bring this up about a month or so before we go on a trip/vacation the better half will be all for it.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, both panasonics were really looking good, but when I showed them to the other half I got a negative response -

"I'm happy with the camera I have, do we really need a new one?"

As the urge to say, "your camera sucks, its 5 years old, only 2mp, has a 1" lcd, and the battery dies after 20 minutes" crossed my mind, I bit my tongue and agreed we didn't really need it.

So I guess I wait now until later, maybe something else will be out in a couple of months that will convince her otherwise.
    Smart choice... But, you can also get it for her as a gift, down the road. Maybe Christmas? Just do your own research, decide on a model and buy it. I doubt if she'd argue with you on this.
  • Options
    Seymore wrote:
    Smart choice... But, you can also get it for her as a gift, down the road. Maybe Christmas? Just do your own research, decide on a model and buy it. I doubt if she'd argue with you on this.

Better be careful ... if she doesn't want one now ... then she's probably not into photography ... would rather have something sparklie to go with her new camera.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    DifferentSeedDifferentSeed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    Sony makes a pink one, the T10, that is ultra-compact and fast as a cheetah on speed... It's $400 tho and probably takes the Memorystick Ultra Duo :/ But it is a pretty, girly pink! :D
    Make a small loan, Make a big difference. Find out how at http://www.kiva.org
  • Options
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Better be careful ... if she doesn't want one now ... then she's probably not into photography ... would rather have something sparklie to go with her new camera.

heh, the whole "lets get a new camera" idea just sounds better than "I'm buying more toys" - she definitely understands my gear lust though...I just have to make it up to her. hehe.
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2006
    I Second the Sony T10
    Sony makes a pink one, the T10, that is ultra-compact and fast as a cheetah on speed... It's $400 tho and probably takes the Memorystick Ultra Duo :/ But it is a pretty, girly pink! :D
    J: And "third" the T10, and "fourth" the T10, and...

H: I have the Sony T9, and recommend it's newer sibling without reservation.

J: The IS is extremely effective. The LCD is a wonder (it is so fun to share pics while out and about). The M-A-C-R-O is incredible. And it slips into a shirt pocket.

H: If folks are worried about not having manual exposure settings, I'd put those fears to rest. In the thousands and thousands of shots I've taken, the camera virtually always selects the same aperture that I would have. (Larger apertures generally, and smaller for scenics and in bright light).

J: The only real weakness with these super small cameras is the flash IMO. You'll get redeye in almost every shot, and perhaps an occasional "dust bunny" (very close dust motes illuminated by the flash).

H: I have a small T9 gallery if you'd like to check out some of its capabilities...

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/sony_t9_gallery

59104544.jpg

And yes, go for the pink!
    J&H
  • Options
    Mickey57Mickey57 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    The F30 is nice
    I purchased an F30 back in July 2006. I must admit, I was taken with the image quality. On our last family vacation, I took my Fuji S3, my Nikon D200 and the new F30. It was our annual camping trip to Prince Edward Island. The two DSLR's never left the camera bag. The F30 was easy to use and produced nice photos even at high ISO. I will try and post some photos and then let you know when they are up.
    I was fortunate enough to try other cameras but settled on this....haven't regretted it so far. I put it in a very small pouch and attach it to my belt when I travel.
    Hope this helps....it is always tough as there are so many great cameras to chose from these days.

Dan
    Dan
    Mickey57
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    My dad bought the Canon SD700 IS (I suggested it) and he recieved it today. It's a VERY VERY nice camera.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited September 26, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    My dad bought the Canon SD700 IS (I suggested it) and he recieved it today. It's a VERY VERY nice camera.

You should abscond with it and give us a report thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    Capable mid-priced Point & Shoot thoughts
    SpeshulEd wrote:

... I'd like something compact, something small that I can easily fit in my pocket. Basically, something that I can always have on me and doesn't weigh down my pants. I'd like a nice all around camera, but most importantly something that I can take with me to the bar or to a concert and still be able to get off a decent shot of the stage without using a flash. IS is definitely a need as well as a camera that can handle lowlight without much noise...
    I've been looking at this situation as well. If you're still looking, you may want to consider Canon's new A710, announced a month ago. It's very light at 210 grams, and very small, but not so tiny as the SD line, which I find difficult to use for that reason. My wife has the SD500 which she just doesn't use very much, and when she does, there is camera-motion-blur.

So I've decided to get her the A710 because it has Image Stabilization, plus the 2.5" LCD screen, the larger sensor (the one called 1/2.5", whatever that means), plenty of megapixels at 7.1 (who needs 10 Mp for informal pictures), USB 2.0 for fast downloads, and DIGIC II processing (I think only the G7 has the new DIGIC III).

The only downer, if it were to be my camera, is the lack of a flip-out LCD, and the 2.0 lens of the earlier G series. But my wife doesn't use the flip-out capability, and with ISO 800 available, it will do almost as well in low light. Pricing is $370 at B&H, which seems reasonable for these features. See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a710is.asp for more info.

In sizing up my own point and shoot requirements, it's a toss up between:

1. Keeping the G6 (f/2.0, flip out screen, raw, etc.)

2. Going for the G7 for DIGIC III, bigger 2.5" anti-glare LCD, 10 Mp (my px are not just "informal pictures"), IS, 1600 ISO, and smaller size (forgoing flexible LCD, raw, and f/2.0), or

3. Getting the A640 for flip out 2.5" LCD, 800 ISO, 10 Mp, DIGIC II, just about everything but Image Stabilization.

Skip
  • Options
    yeah, I really like these canon's (which may be mostly cuz I'm a canon shooter)...I'm thinking I'm going to pop the question again before christmas and maybe try for the G7. :D
  • Options
    Dude ... get her an N or 1Ds, when she complains about the size give her your 20D and keep the N/1Ds for yourself.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2006
    hehe, I like the way you think. Actually, I think she'd be content with a 5D. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    hehe, I like the way you think. Actually, I think she'd be content with a 5D. mwink.gif

Dude, its not about her ... it's all about you (unless you'll be happy with a 5D, in which case I take what I said back because ... You are the man! Good Call.)

Seriously, look into the Panasonic - that 10X optical zoom w/ IS is a lot of fun ... she will enjoy the zoom and use the camera more ... after a while she'll probably start comparing/competing her shots to yours and Viola! She hooked on photography.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed