FOUND: older steel canon digital elph

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited September 27, 2006 in House of Canon
I'm looking for a digital elph for my wife, she's decided the 20D is "too complex" and that she's too worried about breaking it every time she uses it. So we're looking for something simple, and rugged that she can carry in her purse, backpack, pocket, etc... The steel digital elph's (or even a IXUS or Ixy if they can be reprogrammed into English in the menus) seen like the perfect solution. There seem to be quite a few of them going through eBay in the 30-80 range depending on model accessories, and a few sitting rotting with initial bids of $100 for an S100 :giggle but I wanted to check if any of our AndyBay'ers have any sitting around gathering dust. :ear

Specifically I guess I'm looking for something in the 2-4 MP range (S1xx - S4xx), that uses CF (so Sxxx prefered over SDxxx), and at least one functional battery and charger.
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 27, 2006
    I have an original 2.1mp S100, but to be honest, I'd feel really bad selling it to anyone. It has indeed been a tank, as all the early S's were. However, image quality has certainly degraded in the 6 years I've owned it, and that's not just because I've had Rebel XT's and D70's and D2H's to compare it to. I have quite a few gorgeous prints around the house from its first few years, but I haven't been able to get a good quality shot out of it for a while now.

And how does that help you, you ask? lol3.gif

Essentially, I'd advise you this: there's quite a few really really good cameras out there for just $200. The Nikon L6 is on top of my list at the moment for ease of use, good sensor, and uses AA batteries (a major drawback of all the Canon S's is the proprietary rechargeable - not good in a travel mini-cam in my opinion).

Basically, I just warn that if you want an old S that still uses CF, you are going to get just that. An OLD S. SD is dirt cheap, as in $25/gb. Don't limit yourself to an old beater over $25.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    I really like my S200. It fell into a lake with me and still works too! For a point and shoot that you can set some things manually, I think it does great.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    You make some very good points DoctorIT. Thanks, certainly 10944573-Ti.gif for headscratch.gif ....
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    bought one
    Ok, based on DoctorIT's sage advice, and some re-thinking over lunch... I just ordered a brand new SD600 with an added 1G SD card, and a second battery... all for $280... only about 5x what I had originally wanted to spend. :D
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    cabbey wrote:
    Ok, based on DoctorIT's sage advice, and some re-thinking over lunch... I just ordered a brand new SD600 with an added 1G SD card, and a second battery... all for $280... only about 5x what I had originally wanted to spend. :D
    that's the spirit! lol3.gif

Sorry?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• NDebNDeb Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    It's a good camera....
    and you got a good price for it! I had the SD600 but sold it and picked up the SD550. These ultra compacts are very easy to handle, I keep in my bag always. Photo quality, resolution, colors are awesome. You won't regret it! Enjoy your SD600! -debbie
    cabbey wrote: