Sometimes, business travel isn't so bad

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited October 4, 2006 in Journeys
A few weeks ago, I was invited to give a quick talk on a technology we've been working on in our lab. ASME was holding a conference, and there was to be a "NanoVenture" competition on the side, to showcase emerging lab-to-fab innovations. I've given the pitch before, so it was a no-brainer, exposure is always good...

...Exposure to the sun!!!

98241167-M.jpg

Yup, every once in a long while, a conference happens somewhere pretty nice. Not that Chicago and Seattle aren't nice, but they're cities, where you're stuck in a convention center, and it's all business. This time, the conference was in Honolulu! :D

We arrived, took a quick nap, and then were determined to stay awake until a reasonable west coast bedtime. So we headed out to the beach to look for dinner. Pretty ugly, eh?

98240534-M.jpg

We didn't get a beach side hotel, but I think the hills behind Honolulu are pretty cool as well, especially at night.

98218373-M.jpg

There's nothing more depressing than putting on a suit in a tropical paradise. But, as the saying goes, ya gotta pay the bills.

98240962-M.jpg

...more later... work calls at the moment.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 27, 2006
    Business went well - a good little conference, actually. And there was a beautiful Japanese garden behind the conference building, complete with many pools full of Koi and a Mongoose! No, really, we saw a little mongoose scurry through the garden. We thought it was a small squirrel at first, but when it popped up again, it was definitely a ferret/mongoose lookin' little critter. Now, I don't think those are native to Hawaii... what gives? Someone suggested they were imported to get rid of snakes. Any truth to that? Unfortunately, no photos of that.

Moving on, the next day was my turn to be a beach bum. MrsIt had already gotten her chance while I was at the conference the previous day, so she wanted to do all sorts of stuff, but I just wanted to swim and sit in the sun.

So much for swimming carefree:

98219570-M.jpg

These canoes look like fun:

98220163-M.jpg

Sand is fun

98220465-M.jpg

And so are waterproof cameras (that's my face)

98241417-M.jpg

So I made MrsIt some chicken feet, and realized it was about lunch time...

98221357-M.jpg
    Erik

Lunch isn't exactly a strong point at the tourist haven of Waikiki, but then again, seems like food on Hawaii is expensive just about everywhere. No matter, we found a place slightly off the main drag and enjoyed an outdoor table.

Then, MrsIt had her way and we went to the zoo. Did I mention she loves zoos? She's still talking about it.

Here she is plotting our attack

98221588-M.jpg

The ring-tailed lemurs put on a nice show for us

98224766-M.jpg

98225667-M.jpg

The mid-day lighting was really tricky, so these really aren't my best photos

98226152-M.jpg

These gibbons were MrsIt's favorites. So humanlike, very amazing to watch for a while. It doesn't hit you until you've watched them for more than 5 or 10 minutes how much like us they are.

98225044-M.jpg

Ever seen a huge rock move? Pretty amazing animals, tortoises:

98226583-M.jpg

These are in fact NOT crocodiles, they are __________. Very intimidating nonetheless.

98227620-M.jpg

98228401-M.jpg

And lots of pretty birds

98229212-M.jpg

98229752-M.jpg

And of course, the big kitties are always a crowd pleaser. This was actually the only one we saw. It was late in the day, and all the others (lions, cheetahs) were hiding in their "private" enclosures.

98231799-M.jpg

Zoos are definitely fun.
    Erik

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    The not a croc is in fact a Gharial. Nice pics, Hawaii is a not so bad place.
    truth wrote:
    The not a croc is in fact a Gharial. Nice pics, Hawaii is a not so bad place.
    Bingo... I remembered it started with a Gaaaa...something. lol3.gif
    Erik

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    So did you get any good fishy shots with the underwater cam? Definitely hard to beat business trips to Hawaii. Though I prefer the Big Island. mwink.gif

Oh, and the mongooses (mongeese?) are actually bad. They were imported to the islands to try and control the rats. This made loads of sense considering rats are noctural, and rats are diurnal. 11doh.gif Instead, the mongoose eat native birds and their eggs.

Great shots, I haven't been there in a year and a half now.
    Chris
    ChrisJ wrote:
    So did you get any good fishy shots with the underwater cam? Definitely hard to beat business trips to Hawaii. Though I prefer the Big Island. mwink.gif

Oh, and the mongooses (mongeese?) are actually bad. They were imported to the islands to try and control the rats. This made loads of sense considering rats are noctural, and rats are diurnal. 11doh.gif Instead, the mongoose eat native birds and their eggs.

Great shots, I haven't been there in a year and a half now.
    1. Fish were too small and too fast. It was hard enough to get myself in the underwater shots! MrsIt only managed to get the top of head when she tried. lol3.gif

2. This was my second time to Oahu, I would soooo like to see the other islands.

3. Thanks for the mongoose info - I knew there was some real facts out there!
    Erik

Almost done with the journey...

Just before dinner is when you get some really nice light

98233091-M.jpg

98233491-M.jpg

98242975-M.jpg
    Erik

On our last full day, I convinced everyone that there was more to Oahu than just Waikiki and Honolulu. Granted, its a small island and physically there isn't that much more, but the scenery certainly changes.

We were lucky enough to score a jeep from the rental place. After about 15 minutes, we finally got the top off - yes, I'm an engineer. lol3.gif And then, it was off to Diamond Head so everyone could get a good look around.

The extinct volcano

98235628-M.jpg

Waikiki and Honolulu:

98236391-M.jpg

Looking inland:

98237242-M.jpg

There's some fun tunnels on the hike up to the top of the crater

98237829-M.jpg

And we continue around the southeastern tip of the island (wide angle is fun):

98238730-M.jpg

Wish those power lines weren't there:

98239041-M.jpg
    Erik

This was my response to "time to go to the airport for the flight home"

98245192-M.jpg
    Erik

• SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    Nice business trip! Good series and fun.:ivar
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    What a deal doc !! The only time i get paid to speak is at re-trials. Looks like you had a great time.
    gus wrote:
    What a deal doc !! The only time i get paid to speak is at re-trials. Looks like you had a great time.
    We definitely had fun. Very occasionally, this grad-student gig pays off.
    Erik

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 29, 2006
    Get a job ya lazy slacker :D

Nice place to have a conference. Why is it the only ones in my field are in
    places like San Jose?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    ian408 wrote:
    Get a job ya lazy slacker :D

Nice place to have a conference. Why is it the only ones in my field are in
    places like San Jose?
    could be worse. you could be in the auto biz and be stuck in southeastern michigan.
    Erik

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Nice series. I enjoyed tagging along. Never been to Hawaii, definitely have to get my butt there one of these days.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice series. I enjoyed tagging along. Never been to Hawaii, definitely have to get my butt there one of these days.
    your butt will thank you, it's a nice place to plant it for a visit.
    Erik

• Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2006
    Looks like fun to me! Just hope that your boss does not read Dgrin lol

Thanks for sharing.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
    edited September 30, 2006
    Looks like fun to me! Just hope that your boss does not read Dgrin lol

Thanks for sharing.

Tim
    I saved my "boss" $300 by staying an extra couple days, actually. If you don't have the saturday stay, the air tickets are twice as expensive, and since I wangled the conference discount at the hotel, even though it was 2 extra nights, it netted as a savings to our travel budget. Damn I'm good. :D
    Erik

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I saved my "boss" $300 by staying an extra couple days, actually. If you don't have the saturday stay, the air tickets are twice as expensive, and since I wangled the conference discount at the hotel, even though it was 2 extra nights, it netted as a savings to our travel budget. Damn I'm good. :D

You could be a NASA administrator lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 2, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    You could be a NASA administrator lol3.gif
    Dare to dream. thumb.gif
    Erik

• mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Nice pics! I was just in Hawaii a few weeks ago, and it is really fun. We did the hike up Diamondhead as well, and ran into the security guys from Lost on the way. Apparently, their base of operations is right near there.

Next time you go, I highly recommend taking a puddle jumper to one of the other islands. Waikiki is nice, but the others are much nicer (and cheaper).
    edited October 2, 2006
    mmroden wrote:
    Next time you go, I highly recommend taking a puddle jumper to one of the other islands. Waikiki is nice, but the others are much nicer (and cheaper).
    Yeah, that was my promise to myself after my first trip to Honolulu. But when you're traveling on business as a student, you go where the business is. It worked out well though, it was MrsIt's first - so we got the whole Waikiki thing out of the way for her as well. Now we're on equal footing for our next trip: more nature in the Natl Parks of Maui and Hawaii. nod.gif
    Erik

• NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Not bad at'al! Sweet, sweet colors. I'm an New England kid and the ocean always looks goofy to me in shots from the Carribian and South Pacific.

Not a bad deal fer yah either. I've only been to two business conferences in my career: One was just down the road in Boston.. the other was in Wichita, Kansas in August! ... Man, did that ever suck!
    edited October 4, 2006
    thanks Bubba - you nailed it, the most obvious difference about the tropical island is that the color saturation is turned waay up!
    Erik