Rare Moon photo-op tomorrow (Dec 7)

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited December 6, 2004 in Holy Macro
Early risers tomorrow can see a rare event, Jupiter and 3 of it's largest moons will be occulted by the Moon. It hasn't happened for the east coast of the US since the late 1800's.

Most of North America can see it, and since the Moon will be early crescent phase, it should present some cool photo opportunities. Here's an article.

So make plans for getting up early, and post your photos here folks! :deal Path, tmlphoto, you guys up for this???

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    gerg.gif Well, looks like much of the US will be under cloud cover. Figures! Well, if one of you gets lucky and has decent weather, take some shots for the rest of us.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 6, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Early risers tomorrow can see a rare event, Jupiter and 3 of it's largest moons will be occulted by the Moon. It hasn't happened for the east coast of the US since the late 1800's.

Most of North America can see it, and since the Moon will be early crescent phase, it should present some cool photo opportunities. Here's an article.

So make plans for getting up early, and post your photos here folks! deal.gif Path, tmlphoto, you guys up for this???

I would like to see this - The moons of Jupiter can be seen with good 15x binoculars and I have been looking forward to this, altho here it is predicted for 3:10 am and right now it is overcast with rain predicted for tomorrow so I am not sure of the outcome yet. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • 52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Looks to be crappy weather here also. I missed Venus transiting the sun also!