Options

Rebel XT raw+jpg question

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited October 4, 2006 in Cameras
Hello,
I just recently purchased an XT and I shot a bunch of raw+jpg images yesterday. When I went to d/l from the camera, I noticed they were all labled jpg. It basically shot redundant jpg copies instead of raw + jpg. Neither version of the jpgs would open as raw and both versions would open with basic jpg editors.

Then later, I was messing around with the direct connection to my pc using the pc for capture, and they were labled jpg and cr2. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing differently? I tried to d/l the firmware update on the canon site, but it just beeped at me nd wound't d/l. I'm not sure wht the current firmware version is on the camera. The camera was purchased new this week.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

***edit*** not the firmware. Firmware version is correct.
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• Options
    edited September 30, 2006
    OK... when I use canon eos utility to d/l I get both, but nothing except jpg when I use the camera as an external drive through "my computer". Before I switched the camera to "comunicate with pc" in the camera menu, I was getting redundant but now I just get jpgs. Raws don't show up at all. I just shot straight raw and got nothing. I have a card reader on the way, so maybe it will act differently with that. If not, this is kind of a pain. It is of course livable, but I would prefer to just drag and drop.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    On my camera/cpu..

If you simply go through your computer and click on your Camera while its connected, it wont show the RAW images. However, if you run the program 'CameraWindow' or allow it to run on its on as your camera connects to your cpu, then click on either 'Starts to download images' or 'Lets you select and download images', it will show both RAW and JPEG files at the same time.

Lastly, if you dont want to go through all that, you can also plug in the memory card on a separate memory card reader other than the Canon body itself and it should list all the files as well.

(note: the CR2 files are the Canon RAW files)
  • Options
    ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    So, you got it finally...what do you think?? Do you think it'll do your wedding stuff okay?
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mr peas wrote:
    On my camera/cpu..

If you simply go through your computer and click on your Camera while its connected, it wont show the RAW images. However, if you run the program 'CameraWindow' or allow it to run on its on as your camera connects to your cpu, then click on either 'Starts to download images' or 'Lets you select and download images', it will show both RAW and JPEG files at the same time.

Lastly, if you dont want to go through all that, you can also plug in the memory card on a separate memory card reader other than the Canon body itself and it should list all the files as well.

(note: the CR2 files are the Canon RAW files)

thanks... I thought it may be different with the reader. Good news.

YES!!!! I got the camera. I love it!!! I took about 150 pics yesterday and I am very happy with it. I'm still learning the features, but I was able to play around a lot. I got somegood shots but nothing that is going to make the cover of Time Magazine... I was very impressed with it's ability to focus on moving objects. I cought a turkey vulture cruising about 10' over my head!!

Fun stuff. I'm sure I will have many more questions though!

On the wedding front... I got a call back from the local studio that I requested a labor for traing trade and sometime in the next month he is going to take me along as 2nd camera/grunt for a wedding he has booked. We will work out the details next week when I return from FL.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    Next step is to buy a $15 card reader and eliminate the problems of trying to direct connect the camera. :) The reader just sees a "removable drive" and doesn't try to understand the files, they're just files. You can get free or inexpensive downloader utilities that handle the CR2 (RAW) files and JPGs without any problems.

As you've seen there are two files: a processed JPG file and a CR2 RAW file. the CR2 file will have to be converted in a RAW converter--like DPP that came with the camera.
  • Options
    Next step is to buy a $15 card reader and eliminate the problems of trying to direct connect the camera. :) The reader just sees a "removable drive" and doesn't try to understand the files, they're just files. You can get free or inexpensive downloader utilities that handle the CR2 (RAW) files and JPGs without any problems.

As you've seen there are two files: a processed JPG file and a CR2 RAW file. the CR2 file will have to be converted in a RAW converter--like DPP that came with the camera.
    Theres like so many card readers available! Just be sure you pick a USB 2.0 reader or a Firewire one. I have a USB 1.1 reader and it takes forever to dl half-a-gigs worth of photos! Thats when I knew it was time for an upgrade.

Last time I was shopping for a USB 2.0 one, there was two dozen different ones with just about the same prices. Rather than looking at performance with this huge selection, I had to start looking for which one will match my cpu best (Laughing.gif). Its was ridiculous.
  • Options
    mr peas wrote:
    Theres like so many card readers available! Just be sure you pick a USB 2.0 reader or a Firewire one. I have a USB 1.1 reader and it takes forever to dl half-a-gigs worth of photos! Thats when I knew it was time for an upgrade.

Last time I was shopping for a USB 2.0 one, there was two dozen different ones with just about the same prices. Rather than looking at performance with this huge selection, I had to start looking for which one will match my cpu best (Laughing.gif). Its was ridiculous.

I ordered a card reader, I just forgot it. I think I paid $5 from newegg. My lappy doesn't have built-in firewire so I went with usb2. I had to leave suddenly to come to fl (my mother is ill and that is where I am now) and the 2gb card that came free with my camera from newegg was backordered, so I had them send another 2gb card (good to have 2 when shooting raw+!) and a card reader, and had them both sent to my sisters house in fla. Reader, A-Data 120x 2gb card, and 2 day fex ex for $56. I LOVE Newegg!!! Unfortunately I got so excited about the card that I forgot the reader over at my sisters (I am at my mothers house) and I won't be seeing her again until tomorrow!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited October 1, 2006
    I hope your mother recovers soon.

But, where in newegg did you find those deals? They sound great, lol.
    I might want to jump on it as well!
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    I hope your mother recovers soon.

But, where in newegg did you find those deals? They sound great, lol.
    I might want to jump on it as well!

reader is now out of stock, but give it a couple of days. Works real nice BTW... plug and play works fine with xp

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820180223

a-data card went up $4, but keep watching. I have seen the Ridata 80x cards as low as $32.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=7&N=2010070068+1053107923+1053307940&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=68

Newegg is very dependable and easy to work with. I have not ever found cheaper prices for genearal computer things, cdr/dvd media, and now my cannon xt! Their prices change all the time so keep an eye out for good deals.
    My PC I built with componants from Newegg, and some bits and peices I had from older machines. I've spent thousands at newegg over the past few years, and I have always been satisfied.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    mmmatt wrote:
    Newegg is very dependable and easy to work with. I have not ever found cheaper prices for genearal computer things, cdr/dvd media, and now my cannon xt! Their prices change all the time so keep an eye out for good deals.
    My PC I built with componants from Newegg, and some bits and peices I had from older machines. I've spent thousands at newegg over the past few years, and I have always been satisfied.

Matt

Same here. I've gotten to the point that when I need a computer component, I just point the browser at Newegg & be done with it. Nobody that will actually deliver product beats them in 99.5% of the cases & the couple of bucks you save aren't worth searching for the hours it takes to find a better price.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Same here. I've gotten to the point that when I need a computer component, I just point the browser at Newegg & be done with it. Nobody that will actually deliver product beats them in 99.5% of the cases & the couple of bucks you save aren't worth searching for the hours it takes to find a better price.
    agreed. If they have it, I don't typically even shop around.

matt
    My Smugmug site