Gefilta Fish

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited December 7, 2004 in Holy Macro
A lot of people may have heard of it, but I bet a lot of you non-Jewish people have never actually seen it. This is Gefilta Fish. My family jokingly refers to them as giant fish turds. In Rush Hour 2, Chris Tucker can't say Gefilta Fish right to save his life. The closest is when he says, "Gahfeeeltha Feesh". It looks disgusting, but actually tastes pretty good..

MainFragger

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Beautifully displayed thumb.gif
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    My wife calls 'em "brains in a jar" ;)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    "My grandmother Shoshana was a “Jewish Polish Grandmother” – chicken noodle soup, a carp fish in the tub for fattening until one morning it disappeared and there was ‘gefiltefish’ (traditional Jewish dish) for lunch ..." http://niralon.smugmug.com/gallery/169240

They didn't come in jars then!
    As a child I remember playing with the Gefilta Fish 'candidates' in the tub until they fattened a bit and were ready to serve their purpose. Their destiny was kept a secret from me until I was a bit older. I always wondered where they disapeared to but was afraid to ask.

Thanks Mainfragger for bringing back memories! You do the fish justice!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    Todah Rabah
    Nir wrote:
    "My grandmother Shoshana was a “Jewish Polish Grandmother” – chicken noodle soup, a carp fish in the tub for fattening until one morning it disappeared and there was ‘gefiltefish’ (traditional Jewish dish) for lunch ..." http://niralon.smugmug.com/gallery/169240

They didn't come in jars then!
    As a child I remember playing with the Gefilta Fish 'candidates' in the tub until they fattened a bit and were ready to serve their purpose. Their destiny was kept a secret from me until I was a bit older. I always wondered where they disapeared to but was afraid to ask.

Thanks Mainfragger for bringing back memories! You do the fish justice!

Nice gallery. Although, considering I ate KFC tonight, and the heartburn is killing me...I wish you didn't remind of KFC again!

http://niralon.smugmug.com/gallery/169240/1/6384276/Large

This picture reminds me of some of some of the MC Escher prints. I like it a lot.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    Gefilte fish is okay...but tomorrow evening is the start of eight days of candle photography practice! thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    A lot of people may have heard of it, but I bet a lot of you non-Jewish people have never actually seen it. This is Gefilta Fish. My family jokingly refers to them as giant fish turds. In Rush Hour 2, Chris Tucker can't say Gefilta Fish right to save his life. The closest is when he says, "Gahfeeeltha Feesh". It looks disgusting, but actually tastes pretty good..

MainFragger
    Ok! So I'm always interested in food :D

What is it exactly, how's it prepped, and how do you say it properly??

Oh and is it good?