Options

Masie

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited December 7, 2004 in People
11948936-L.jpg

Masie is hard to capture. Missile defense is easier than shooting her.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Nice photo Rutt...I like the eyes going off to the side...
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Hi Rutt,

I liked this photo, but thought it needed a little something. I did a little post on the low res version posted here. I hope you don't mind.

Sam
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    rutt wrote:

Beautiful Rutt.. it's a tad dark on my monitor..11948936-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Rutt,

I liked this photo, but thought it needed a little something. I did a little post on the low res version posted here. I hope you don't mind.

Sam
    Sam, very nice. What exactly did you do? It looks like you improved the shadows mostly, but was there more? Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Sam, very nice. What exactly did you do? It looks like you improved the shadows mostly, but was there more? Thanks.
    Let me prefice this with the disclaimer / fact, I am a beginner, and have limited knowledge. That said.........

Again I did this pretty fast on the low res web version.

Now if I can remember....................

I actually used a cooling filter a little, levels adjustment, saturation, contrast, and ran Neat Image over it.

I am never sure how it's going to look on someone elses monitor, but I thought it needed something to make it stand out more, and the photo is definitly worth some post processing time.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Let me prefice this with the disclaimer / fact, I am a beginner, and have limited knowledge. That said.........

Again I did this pretty fast on the low res web version.

Now if I can remember....................

I actually used a cooling filter a little, levels adjustment, saturation, contrast, and ran Neat Image over it.

I am never sure how it's going to look on someone elses monitor, but I thought it needed something to make it stand out more, and the photo is definitly worth some post processing time.

Sam
    I fussed with it a little before posting yesterday, but now I'll give it a little more work. Thanks again.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Rutt,

Sam
    rutt good shot sam nice work on my puter it looks softer and more flesh tone good job clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    Good one, rutt!
    Hey rutt,

while a tad (and only that) dark, I think your photo is quite cool. The skin tones look excellent, very natural to me. Also, the exposure suggests there wasn't much light there, which I think might also *add* to the photo instead of detract from it.

However, using the curves on it is *your* choice, even if I think it's already great!

Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    A different approach
    I intend to print this out big, get framed, and give to my sister (Masie's mom) as an Xmas present. So it's worth quite a bit of work. I think I'm closing in on a final version. What do you all think?

12358104-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I intend to print this out big, get framed, and give to my sister (Masie's mom) as an Xmas present. So it's worth quite a bit of work. I think I'm closing in on a final version. What do you all think?
    Rutt I love it but I still think it's a bit dark.. (could be my monitor) I lightened it a tad and contrast a little.. but it may not be the look you are wanting...
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Rutt, I like it dark. That is just me. As in any art form some things are a matter of preference.

I know light photographs are called high key, and I really like them, I assume (my assumptions and my memory are about equally defective by now), but I assume that dark photographs are called low key. They are a style.

I think this was shot low key. I love both "keys". Low key puts me in mind of the old masters. I, personally, would not try to push low key into the norm. IMHO, you then lose the "art" in which it was shot. The unique ness.

That is just my opinion. I love the shot of Masie, always have. Yes I think you are getting close, if not there. I would not make the shot any lighter than you have. I think it is a gorgeous photo of a gorgeous child.

Did you do another family shot?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 6, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    11948936-M.jpg

I like this portrait a great deal and I have followed the discussion and your post processing editing. I think the improvement in Masie's face and coloration is better in your last image, but I do not like the all black background.

I prefer the 'brown curtain fade to black' in your first shot. I think it adds to the old master kind of feeling that Ginger was referring to - it matches the soft lighting for me...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I like this portrait a great deal and I have followed the discussion and your post processing editing. I think the improvement in Masie's face and coloration is better in your last image, but I do not like the all black background.

I prefer the 'brown curtain fade to black' in your first shot. I think it adds to the old master kind of feeling that Ginger was referring to - it matches the soft lighting for me...
    The real background is sooo ugly (hotel room, television set) that I just wanted to be rid of it. At a certain point, I realized that my curve writing wasn't working in part because I was bending over backward to make the background dark enough so as not to be distracting. Now that I have the mask, though, I can apply different curves to to the background and the girl. Maybe that will work; I'll try. Thanks for the suggestion.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    Here is my take on PF's suggestion. I let the background back in a little. I darkened it and flattened the A+B curves to get the yellow out of the drapes. I painted out the chrome "Samsung" on the TV. Better than the solid black background?

12388609-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Here is my take on PF's suggestion. I let the background back in a little. I darkened it and flattened the A+B curves to get the yellow out of the drapes. I painted out the chrome "Samsung" on the TV. Better than the solid black background?

12388609-M.jpg

John, I think if you already have a mask for Masie, I might add a "transparent to black" linear gradient from left to right on the background - that would retain the curtains to the left but blacken the reddish TV set on the right, and a gradient will give a nice smooth transition behind her. Just a thought. And yes, I think this image is better than the previous solid black background.

Might I ask how you achieved your mask of Masie - Masking her hair is a task I would not envy, as I have an idea how challenging that can be.

I looked at the full size file of the above image and I am very impressed if she was masked, because I cannot see any trace of it in the full size image. Well done! She is a little princess!

• Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    John, I think if you already have a mask for Macie, I might add a "transparent to black" linear gradient from left to right on the background - that would retain the curtains to the left but blacken the reddish TV set on the right, and a gradient will give a nice smooth transition behind her. Just a thought.

Might I ask how you achieved your mask of Macie - Masking her hair is a task I would not envy, as I have an idea how challenging that can be.
    Well, you nailed me. I cheated. I have found a guy online who does elaborate masking work at a really reasonable price. I paid $45 to get the mask of Masie made. Look carefully at the hair against the curtain on her left side and you'll get an idea of how hard this must have been. I struggled with it for a few days. He used his wacom tablet.

If you are interested in using this guy, his name is Eric Polsinelli and his email is info@perfectpictureimaging.ca I used him once before (for the dynamic range improvement hall of fame thing.) I think that was a lot easier than this. He seems like a really nice guy.

I love working with curves and sharpening and the like, but I am just hopeless with this kind of detail work. And now I've found out how to outsource it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    John, I upped the sat a little and tightened up the highlights with levels. What do you think? Maybe a little too much?

12393929-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Rutt and I were discussing in PM how difficult it is to capture little girls (without the use of duct tape and zip ties, of course).

I really like the shot of Masie and prefer the black background...even if you did have to pay for it. mwink.gif

Here's my little one...captured with 17-40/4L on 20D w/ built-in flash. In snappy mode.

There's just something really intriguing about using full auto on a prosumer dSLR.

12393621-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    John, I upped the sat a little and tightened up the highlights with levels. What do you think? Maybe a little too much?

12393929-S.jpg

On my monitor I prefer the softer pastel look of John's image in my previous posts - Thomas, the color changes you made are fine, but just not for the delicate china skin of this little cherub. Just my opinion of course, John may feel differently.

Fish - One of the things I like about Rutt's shot of Masie is that he is DOWN LOW and shooting her straight at her eye level. So many shots of kids are from above looking down. Maybe we should put the kids up on a platform before we begin shooting?

Most of my kid shots are poor also, due to movement, poor lighting etc - but the ones I do like, were all shot at the child's eye level. For example - a picture of my son from 23 years ago with soft window light
    2463466-M.jpg

And my niece who now has children of her own this age in strong California sunlight
    2375974-M.jpg

After a lifetime of shooting, I have found an occaisional acorn I like to think. I hope so, anyway.....

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fish - One of the things I like about Rutt's shot of Masie is that he is DOWN LOW and shooting her straight at her eye level.
    Is that some sort of ultra-subtle hint, pf? umph.gif

It's kinda hard to get eye-level with a sub 4 foot tall person when she's sitting on the ground...especially with a pair of bad knees. Point taken tho, and I agree.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2004
    fish wrote:

It's kinda hard to get eye-level with a sub 4 foot tall person when she's sitting on the ground...especially with a pair of bad knees. Point taken tho, and I agree.
    PF's point is on target, for me at least. This is one thing I'm very aware of when shooting pictures of kids and animals. I sit on the floor. I crawl.

Turn back to the clock to those days of yesteryear. Here is Masie on her first birthday:

1700229-L.jpg

1700399-L.jpg

1700437-L.jpg

Here she is with her sister last summer:

12409175-L.jpg

I have lots more. Masie is very photogenic. But the point is that the lower you can get with kids and animals, the better, usually. I bring a beach chair to soccer and baseball games for just this reason. I get down on my belly and crawl like a reptile with cats.

1859000-L.jpg

I've even risked my life:

6543053-L.jpg

Only occasionally does it get me into trouble:

1697481-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2004
    fish wrote:

Fish,.... Fish,.... I was very careful not to say one critical word about your image. I did praise what I liked about Rutt's shot of Masie tho......
    Not to worry Boss - I have tons of aerial views of little people in a round file cabinet at home myself.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

• Options
    edited December 7, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    PF's point is on target, for me at least. This is one thing I'm very aware of when shooting pictures of kids and animals. I sit on the floor. I crawl.

Turn back to the clock to those days of yesteryear. Here is Masie on her first birthday:

Here she is with her sister last summer:

I have lots more. Masie is very photogenic. But the point is that the lower you can get with kids and animals, the better, usually. I bring a beach chair to soccer and baseball games for just this reason. I get down on my belly and crawl like a reptile with cats.

I've even risked my life:

Only occasionally does it get me into trouble:
    Rutt these shots a wonderfull.. this is my favorite what an expression! Rutt you don't have a wacam pad?? with all the fine work you do??? go get one right now...

1700437-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Rutt these shots a wonderfull.. this is my favorite what an expression! Rutt you don't have a wacam pad?? with all the fine work you do??? go get one right now...
    Thanks for the compliment! I think I've found a better solution (at least for me) than the wacom pad.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    Kids leading a life
    It is amazing to me that these two little things are talking like grown ups at a cocktail party. They are cousins, Thanksgiving weekend. And it may be a snapshot, but it intriques me. g

12123589-M.jpg

Oh, I sit down and wait, one thing, after I get "down", it is comfortable to just wait...........dogs, and more dogs. I don't get with kids as often. Right now, this very minute, I need a Christmas shot of my dogs. Three of them, I photograph them all the time, but I need a new shot for Christmas and my husband is working agggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. (The backyard won't work)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    It is amazing to me that these two little things are talking like grown ups at a cocktail party. They are cousins, Thanksgiving weekend. And it may be a snapshot, but it intriques me. g

Oh, I sit down and wait, one thing, after I get "down", it is comfortable to just wait...........dogs, and more dogs. I don't get with kids as often. Right now, this very minute, I need a Christmas shot of my dogs. Three of them, I photograph them all the time, but I need a new shot for Christmas and my husband is working agggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. (The backyard won't work)
    Ginger... take the shot in the backyard.. either you or I can put it in a Christmas scene..poof.. just like that :D
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    I agree with you path about the eye level thing. I spend alot of time on my knees and lying on the floor trying to get a good shot. Usually that is when they take off running :).
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com