Don't sell Smugmug!

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited October 5, 2006 in The Big Picture
I hate it when I see crap like this. The short version: someone says Shutterfly may be interested in buying Smugmug. :wxwax

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I hate it when I see crap like this. The short version: someone says Shutterfly may be interested in buying Smugmug. umph.gif
    They may be interested in buying, which they are entitled to their own desires, don't you think? And Smugmug may or may not be interested in selling, which again they are entitled to as well, no? I'm not sure why something like this would be labelled as crap.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Didn't the smugmug people say this one they aren't planning on selling? And Merc, it's crap because if shutterfly did buy smugmug, smugmug would surely fall to the level of shutterfly.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    I just skimmed hte aarticle, but it sounds like pure speculation on the author's part. OK, so they did an IPO and have a big bag of cash. So she's making wild guesses as to a) why the went and got that bag of cash, and b) what they might be thinking about doing with it.

The article seems to me to be a slightly more formal version of the wild rumour threads that proliferated just before Photokina opened. I wouldn't put any more credence to it than me telling you that you're going to get abducted by aliens tomorrow.

...hey, that means I get to use this smiley in context!
    :s85
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    I hate shutterfly. From everything I've seen, smugmug is by far the best online photo site there is, I hope they don't give it all up by joining with shutterfly.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    The Shutterfly site is IMHO just like the wal-mart and walgreens photo sites....

SpeshulEd wrote:
    I hate shutterfly. From everything I've seen, smugmug is by far the best online photo site there is, I hope they don't give it all up by joining with shutterfly.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    ...it sounds like pure speculation on the author's part....
    That's why I called it crap.:D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    eek7.gif Oponents do spread rumours in war to demoralize customers ne_nau.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Wonder why anyone from smugmug have not commented?
    edited October 3, 2006
    sonny_c wrote:
    Wonder why anyone from smugmug have not commented?
    They have before. They have numerous times commented they have no intentions on being bought or acquired. I suspect nothing has changed. One cannot comment on every rumor.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    They have before. They have numerous times commented they have no intentions on being bought or acquired. I suspect nothing has changed. One cannot comment on every rumor.

I REALLY hope that is true.

From what I've learned in the past...What you say and what you do are two totally different things! With enough money most people will change their minds
    edited October 3, 2006
    Michael: I leave for New York tomorrow, think about a price.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    The Shutterfly site is IMHO just like the wal-mart and walgreens photo sites....

And it may very well be the same transaction engine. For example, Costco online photo ordering is clearly labeled as powered by Snapfish. Couldn't tell who really runs Wal-mart and Walgreen's, but don't be surprised if they also outsource to a photo sharing service for their print ordering, just as Smugmug outsources to EZPrints.
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I hate it when I see crap like this. The short version: someone says Shutterfly may be interested in buying Smugmug. umph.gif

We have no plans to. We love our business, we love our customers, and we love the people we work with. Not only that, but it pays the bills - we're profitable, with no debt and no investors! Why mess with a good thing?

Don
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    They would have to get one hell of a payday to sell smugmug, its a freakin whale. Relatively low overhead business... virtually 100% residual income. Most of their costs are going to be in their colo... maybe payroll (15 people I think?).
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    We have no plans to. We love our business, we love our customers, and we love the people we work with. Not only that, but it pays the bills - we're profitable, with no debt and no investors! Why mess with a good thing?

Don
    I figured as much, but still it's good to hear. This is one of the few online services I pay for, and it is very much worth the money.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    thumb.gif

See? I knew that silly article was wild speculation. Proof you can't believe everything you see on the web...
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    wings.gif
    Chris