Options

Ok need help on pricing odd request

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited October 3, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I've been asked by a U.S. childrens tv production company to supply some photographs of a particular insect for them to use to build a model (presumably computer generated model) to use in a Kids Tv series they are planning. They want non- exclusive rights to do whatever they want with the photos in connection with the series in perpertuity.
I'd guess we are talking 10 to 20 pics. I did ask them to suggest a price (at least they seem willing to pay something) but they have asked me to suggest a price. I'm thinking of asking for something like £1000 ($1900 US) for whatever shots they want.
Does this seem a reasonable negotiation opening amount?
Brian V.

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    dont know
    "Slap according to face" thats what we say here eek7.gif

Congratssss :ivar
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    If they are getting non-exclusive rights then I think that is a fair offer. If you look at stock photography prices, I've seen exclusive-no royalties get into the tens of thousands of dollars! The kind of work you do is a specialty... not just anybody with a SLR, macro lens, and a twin flash setup could accomplish this task.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    Pricing
    is such a problem.

It all depends.....

Is the company well known and do they have funds...

Can they get these shots from anyone else?

Depending on what metropolitan area they are located in impacts the price.

The non-exclusive part is just a "royalty free" license, you are still free to sell the photos to someone else.

If it's not an easy thing to do -- get the insect and take photos I'd charge more.

I'd suggest double the price and work down... I think you are starting too low.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2006
    Thanks for the replies- I already have the photos so no extra work for me. Sounds like the price is not too outrageous (just be nice to fund my next camera body :).
    Assuming we reach agreement would you send the pics before payment has been received ?
    Brian V.
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    Assuming we reach agreement would you send the pics before payment has been received ?
    Brian V.
    That's like going to the car dealership and asking to drive the car off the lot and saying to the salesman..."the check is in the mail". I know that is an exagerated analogy.

I would love to think we can trust everybody. What if they don't pay you?
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    RTP wrote:
    That's like going to the car dealership and asking to drive the car off the lot and saying to the salesman..."the check is in the mail". I know that is an exagerated analogy.

I would love to think we can trust everybody. What if they don't pay you?

I was actually assuming I would not do this- ie would say only send the pics once payment has been recieved. However I have twice sent pictures to business concerns before payment was received and havegot the money with no problems.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    Maybe have them pay you half up front. Then the other half after they have been given the photos...
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    I say, dont ever sell yourself short...but some people/companies just dont have the captial.

I mean, if you think about, if you get the $1900 dollars that its worth, then great.

BUT if you get $500-$1000, its still money you never had before. Thats a new lens!

But yeah, try not to sell yourself short. Its easy to do that. I'm always partial to charging low fees to friends and acquaintances, but if they're not somebody who are close to you, then I say charge the most you can. Its your work, you can price it the way you want to. If they're not willing to pay, then oh well, they should look elsewhere.

For the payment thing, I say they send payment first. They either trust you or they dont, lol. But..hey if they use your photos without your consent and publish it without paying, then hey theres another way to make money, sue for copyrights! $30k a photo! Beats $1900 anyday! haha
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    I've been asked by a U.S. childrens tv production company to supply some photographs of a particular insect for them to use to build a model (presumably computer generated model) to use in a Kids Tv series they are planning. They want non- exclusive rights to do whatever they want with the photos in connection with the series in perpertuity.
    I'd guess we are talking 10 to 20 pics. I did ask them to suggest a price (at least they seem willing to pay something) but they have asked me to suggest a price. I'm thinking of asking for something like £1000 ($1900 US) for whatever shots they want.
    Does this seem a reasonable negotiation opening amount?
    Brian V.

Is that price per picture or for 10-20 pictures? This would mean that they you would not get any royalties for the images even if they decide to make t-shirts. The chance that you are taking is that they are asking you for a price and you will most likely ask for too little and they come out well ahead. Seems like a lot of people are interested your work... I think that you should get a photography agent to handle these things, your work is of very high quality and apparently in demand. Let the pros handle it for you and they get a commission from their efforts. :D
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com