Options

Bring your camera to work

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited October 4, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
The above mentioned advice is obviously for those of you who are not full time professional photographers.

I work in IT for the Graduate School of University of Washington, and I try and bring my camera to work at least a couple of times a week, with hopes getting out at some point in the day and capturing a few photos of the University’s beautiful campus.

Because it’s such a common sight to see me wandering off with my camera during lunch, everyone knows that I’m into photography, and that fact finally paid off.

The University of Washington is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools (based in Washington D.C.). The Council of Graduate Schools decorates its walls with photos of all the universities which have been represented by their board of directors, but they lacked a photo of the University of Washington. So the person that they came to for a pictures was me! I got a nice sale of a 16 x 20 of this image:

98355814-M-1.jpg

My only regret is that I didn’t charge more for the image. :rofl
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    red x :(
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    red x :(

weird. should be fixed now.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2006
    got me, i'm still getting a red x, but when i get the properties of the picture, and then cut and paste the addy, i can see the picture.

nice!

edit: and now after i posted, i can see it. ne_nau.gif
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Strange, I'm using Firefox and I don't see the image nor do I see a red X. What is going on here?

Oh, I bet external images is turned off... SpeshulEd can see the image on the second try because he viewed it directly and now it's in his cache...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2006
    firefox doesn't display a red x, if a photo isn't linked properly, nothing shows up. thats just the way ff is. I only have IE on my work computer.

but yes, strange indeed.
    BeachBill wrote:
    Strange, I'm using Firefox and I don't see the image nor do I see a red X. What is going on here?
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:

Oh, I bet external images is turned off... SpeshulEd can see the image on the second try because he viewed it directly and now it's in his cache...

My bad. You were right, external images was turned off. 11doh.gif

Sorry about that. Now it should work.
    Andrew

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    It's working! Beautiful image! Congratulations!
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    thumb.gif Very nice image; congrats!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Thanks saurora and BeachBill!

Originally they wanted a donation, then they saw how *cheap* my pictures were and decided, sure they could buy it.

Someone once told me that the magic price for selling photography is under $100; over that its an investment, under that it could be an impulse buy (not that I want to be considered just *just* an impulse buy). However I've pretty much come to the conclusion that people will pay what ever you ask if they want to buy your art, you've just got to market yourself enough so that they know about your photography and be lucky enough to have the image that they want when they want it, and as it turns out, marketing can be as simple as bringing your camera to work all the time so they can see you going out to take pictures at lunch.

Which brings me back to...I really got to raise my prices. :D
    Andrew

• Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    I just had a problem with UCLA and selling images-- UCLA wants licensing fees for all images of the campus that are recognizable for the campus. If you sell the image for commercial use that isn't to the university, there could be serious issues. I don't know if that's true for U of W, but maybe.

It's a beautiful image, and I hope it does you well :)
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    mmroden wrote:
    I just had a problem with UCLA and selling images-- UCLA wants licensing fees for all images of the campus that are recognizable for the campus. If you sell the image for commercial use that isn't to the university, there could be serious issues. I don't know if that's true for U of W, but maybe.

It's a beautiful image, and I hope it does you well :)

I had previously not had any of my UW photos for sale (because of the sort of issue you mention), but since it was the UW that wanted to buy my photo (for giving to the Council of Graduate Schools) I figured I'm ok.

However, now that you mention this, I think I'll turning off the ability to buy those photos, at least until I get it all cleared up what I can and can not legally sell.
    Andrew

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    :D Great news
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    This photo brings backs memories of my childhood when I would occassionally visit the campus and the Seattle area. I sure wish I could visit Washington more. The last time I made it up there was 2001.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    brought my camera to work...
    ... and they made me shoot a promo shot for the boss! Luckily, it was a paid shoot. It's funny though, 'cause those of you who have ever had to shoot a manager or boss know how nervous it can make you-- your vision is rarely what they have in mind and it's a bit different than shooting an independent client.

68010510.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    ... and they made me shoot a promo shot for the boss! Luckily, it was a paid shoot. It's funny though, 'cause those of you who have ever had to shoot a manager or boss know how nervous it can make you-- your vision is rarely what they have in mind and it's a bit different than shooting an independent client.

Funny you should mention that. They also made me shoot a promo shot for the boss (Dean of the Graduate School). I did not get paid...and it was not a fun experience. The Dean hates to have her picture taken, I was given maybe 5 minutes, and I ended up with 3 out of 35 photos where she had both eyes open.

By the way, nice pic. Yours turned out much better than mine.
    Andrew

• Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Great picture! I love the trees, so pretty. thumb.gif

I won't bring my camera to work once I get it. For one I work at a car shop, and I don't want anyone's greasy hands touching it, and secondly everyone wants to try it out... I haven't even gotten the thing yet!!!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    well...
    greenpea wrote:
    Funny you should mention that. They also made me shoot a promo shot for the boss (Dean of the Graduate School). I did not get paid...and it was not a fun experience. The Dean hates to have her picture taken, I was given maybe 5 minutes, and I ended up with 3 out of 35 photos where she had both eyes open.

By the way, nice pic. Yours turned out much better than mine.
    Thanks. I had about 45 minutes to shoot with the guy but I also had an hour and a space to set up lights and a backdrop-- which makes a big difference. It's funny, though, how once people see you can shoot photos, they suddenly decide they want a portrait-- and they always need them right away.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+