Options

The end is near.

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited October 5, 2006 in Sports
Well the motocross season is winding down here in Illinois. It's been several weeks since I have attended a race, but I hope to make it to a couple of more before the snow falls.

I spent the summer covering the races at the Byron Motosports Park for Cycle USA magazine, and I also contributed to Cycle News (magazine and web). I attended a couple of other tracks too...when I had a chance.

Sales have been pretty good, but they aren't my primary motivation for attending the races anyway. I like to shoot the races and watch the races. I was approached about selling photos, and writing stories a couple of season's ago, and have been doing so since.

Byron runs a 10 round Nuclear Series, which runs every other weekend over the summer. It's the Nuclear Series because the track is in the shadow of two cooling towers for the local nuclear plant.

Anyway here's a shot from round 10.

99873025-L.jpg

I wish I knew how many shots my 20D has taken over the last two seasons. I keep waiting for it to quit. :rofl It doesn't worry me too much, because I'd be taking the pic's even if I wasn't getting paid. But since I am I will be able to replace or repair the 20D if and when it fails.

Halloween is usually the last real race of the season at Byron. It's pretty cool to see what kind of costumes will show up....on the track!

Thanks for looking! :D
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 4, 2006
    Very nice Jeff thumb.gifthumb.gif

Love the angle of the rider clap.gif and the panned background.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Lovely pan and background...and I like the shutter choice.

Were you up in a deer stand?

rolleyes1.gif
    I just attended a talk from a local Florida nature photographer. He has this fantastic wide angle image of Osprey in their nest. He actually called the power company to hoist him up there with a bucket truck. He attached a camera behind the nest and triggered it remotely from the ground.

Ooo. I just found it. This does not do the photo justice at all. It's really striking on a projector screen or large format photo.

FLO_1_td5osprey__040.jpg

IMAGE: Cpr. JOHN MORAN

Your high perspective reminded me of this view.
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Nice shot as always. Sorry to hear your season is ending but the season just changes down south, less dust and cooler temps and more moisture on the track, and they do more day races. It is realy nice to sell my pics. and thank you and other members on the comments of my posted shots to help me get better shots and better sales. I with you though I would still be there shoting even if i was not selling the shots. My day job has had me parked in the photo dept. for a few months now but I have a Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8 on the way and can not wait to try it out. I just received a email that the road race pepole are going to run some winter sesons and look forward to shooting them in a couple of months. We had a temp of 94 today and still waiting for some of that cooler weather. thumb.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    Nice shot as always. Sorry to hear your season is ending but the season just changes down south, less dust and cooler temps and more moisture on the track, and they do more day races. It is realy nice to sell my pics. and thank you and other members on the comments of my posted shots to help me get better shots and better sales. I with you though I would still be there shoting even if i was not selling the shots. My day job has had me parked in the photo dept. for a few months now but I have a Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8 on the way and can not wait to try it out. I just received a email that the road race pepole are going to run some winter sesons and look forward to shooting them in a couple of months. We had a temp of 94 today and still waiting for some of that cooler weather. thumb.gif

We will have a few more race weekends, but the cooler temps really thin out the crowds, and racers. There is an indoor track less than an hour away, but it isn't very photo friendly. Usually my best chance for winter shots is when the pro's go to the RCA Dome in Indy for Supercross.

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D