Options

Name Server?

RacetogRacetog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited October 5, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Here's the deal... I used CMIE or whatever it's called to direct my site to smugmug. If you type, www.nameofsite you can reach my site but if you type http://nameofsite you cannot. I looked at Go Daddy where I bought the name and they have the nameserver directed back to them. What's the smugmug DNS I need to put it there and by doing so will it effect the www? I left out my domain name 'here' because the search engines pick it up and show a link to my posts here.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 4, 2006
    Mike,

To do this, you need to setup an A record pointing to ip address 63.81.134.23

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Mike,

To do this, you need to setup an A record pointing to ip address 63.81.134.23

Cheers,

David
    This is incorrect as the Smugmug IP can and will change. You need to setup a CNAME record and point it to www.smugmug.com. Then in your Smugmug control panel. Under account setting at the bottom it will tell you what domain you have pointed to smugmug. If nothing is entered, click change and enter the domain you wish to point to Smugmug. If you setup domain.com to point to Smugmug using CNAME www.domain.com should be also pointed automatically depending on the DNS control panel setup.

Hope this helps.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Mac Write wrote:
    This is incorrect as the Smugmug IP can and will change. You need to setup a CNAME record and point it to www.smugmug.com. Then in your Smugmug control panel. Under account setting at the bottom it will tell you what domain you have pointed to smugmug. If nothing is entered, click change and enter the domain you wish to point to Smugmug. If you setup domain.com to point to Smugmug using CNAME www.domain.com should be also pointed automatically depending on the DNS control panel setup.

Hope this helps.
    Actually not incorrect - the O.P. has a CNAME setup for www - and with most registrars, you can setup an additionanal A-Record for the domain.com url.

Godaddy supports this quite well :D
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Actually not incorrect - the O.P. has a CNAME setup for www - and with most registrars, you can setup an additionanal A-Record for the domain.com url.

Indeed - in fact, I just did this with Godaddy to get the domain.com (w/o www) working.
  • Options
    RacetogRacetog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Ok, so at Go Daddy add http://mydomainname.com in "A" and "B" nameserver?

Thanks guys,
    Mike
    Andy wrote:

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Racetog wrote:
    Ok, so at Go Daddy add http://mydomainname.com in "A" and "B" nameserver?

Thanks guys,
    Mike

Almost.. ;) Actually, you'll want to go to GoDaddy, click on Manage Domains, then Total DNS Control. In the CNAME section, make WWW point to WWW.SMUGMUG.COM. Then, you can add a new A Record and have @ point to the same thing (or the smugmug IP address).
    See here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/godaddy.mg
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 5, 2006
    Mac Write wrote:

Hope this helps.
    If you happen to read the original post, you will see that the user actually has the cname working correctly, ie. www.domain.com, but wants access to domain.com working.

The method that i stated is the correct method to achieve what he wants.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos