Got Cameras? Why Add a Point-and-Shoot?

wxwaxwxwax ImmoderatorPosts: 15,471Registered Users Major grins
edited January 12, 2004 in Cameras
Lots of folks on this board have more than one camera. At least some of you have larger rigs, plus a small point-and-shoot. :yeah:

Here's my question: how did you decide which point-and-shoot to get? And more importantly, how do you find yourself using it? And are you OK with the compromise between image quality/camera features, and the stuff you produce with your fancier gear? :ear:
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

  • john gomesjohn gomes Beginner grinner Posts: 7Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lots of folks on this board have more than one camera. At least some of you have larger rigs, plus a small point-and-shoot. Wink2.gif

    In my case I have used several P&S cameras in the past...with the last being my current, the Coolpix 995.

    I upgraded to the 10D as I wanted the higher quality. Yet for what I do which is mostly on the web the 995 still works great, and there are times when it is actually handier to use than the 10D.
  • patch29patch29 C|34N3R Atlanta, GAPosts: 2,928Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lots of folks on this board have more than one camera. At least some of you have larger rigs, plus a small point-and-shoot. Wink2.gif

    Here's my question: how did you decide which point-and-shoot to get? And more importantly, how do you find yourself using it? And are you OK with the compromise between image quality/camera features, and the stuff you produce with your fancier gear? ear.gif

    I bought the Canon S50 to compliment my gear and give me a camera to carry/have around most of the time. It fits in my pocket, is easy to use, used CF cards, I was familiar with Canon and I liked the size and feel. I am fine with the quality, typically I am taking more quick snapshot type photos that will be posted online so it works great and can still produce a good print. I feel better about taking it along when I go out then dragging out the larger, heavier, more expensive gear, much less to worry about.
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Posts: 21,317Administrators moderator
    edited January 11, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I bought the Canon S50 to compliment my gear and give me a camera to carry/have around most of the time. It fits in my pocket, is easy to use, used CF cards, I was familiar with Canon and I liked the size and feel. I am fine with the quality, typically I am taking more quick snapshot type photos that will be posted online so it works great and can still produce a good print. I feel better about taking it along when I go out then dragging out the larger, heavier, more expensive gear, much less to worry about.
    Ditto. I will sometimes take the 10d in a side case but keep the S50 in my
    pocket. The kbasa method works reasonably well for on-boards. It can be
    worked one-handed.

    I think image quality is roughly the same between the S50 and 10d for most
    of what I post.


    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • patch29patch29 C|34N3R Atlanta, GAPosts: 2,928Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    pocket. The kbasa method works reasonably well for on-boards. It can be
    worked one-handed.

    I think image quality is roughly the same between the S50 and 10d for most
    of what I post.


    Ian

    I am working up to the onboard/in motion photos. One day I will be brave enough to try.

    The images are fine for me, most of them only go to the web.
  • kbasakbasa Big grins Posts: 64Registered Users Big grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    I like this one, but wish it had a little more blur in the surroundings and the road.

    1677985-M.jpg

    I think I like this one better, though. I think it's got a better sense of motion.
    1838793-M.jpg

    I took both of these with a point and shoot. I don't know how I would have done them with a larger format camera.
    What's this button do?
  • fishfish Site Megalodon Posts: 2,950Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I am working up to the onboard/in motion photos. One day I will be brave enough to try.

    The Nikon 950/990/995 work spectacularly for that, since they have the swivel body. Just swivel and point. My S400 is much harder to use in motion stunts. And I don't think I have the cojones to try it with my 10D yet.

    226429-M-1.jpg

    BTW, that's my friend kbasa behind me.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • patch29patch29 C|34N3R Atlanta, GAPosts: 2,928Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    fish wrote:
    The Nikon 950/990/995 work spectacularly for that, since they have the swivel body. Just swivel and point. My S400 is much harder to use in motion stunts. And I don't think I have the cojones to try it with my 10D yet.

    226429-M-1.jpg

    BTW, that's my friend kbasa behind me.

    I am not going there with a DSLR or with traffic around, not yet at least. I need to find a nice empty straight road to try it.
  • kbasakbasa Big grins Posts: 64Registered Users Big grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    fish wrote:
    The Nikon 950/990/995 work spectacularly for that, since they have the swivel body. Just swivel and point. My S400 is much harder to use in motion stunts. And I don't think I have the cojones to try it with my 10D yet.

    226429-M-1.jpg

    BTW, that's my friend kbasa behind me.
    I learned everything I know about digital photography by watching fish.

    No joke.
    What's this button do?
  • patch29patch29 C|34N3R Atlanta, GAPosts: 2,928Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    kbasa wrote:
    I learned everything I know about digital photography by watching fish.

    No joke.

    I would not mind watching some of the in motion shooting, from a safe distance.
  • kbasakbasa Big grins Posts: 64Registered Users Big grins
    edited January 12, 2004
    It's easy. I use an old credential neck loop. It has a nice clip on the end, which I attach to the wrist strap of my camera. I have a 'stich and just hang the camera in the big right hand pocket. I can reach it with my left hand and shoot while I'm riding down the road. I sort of guess about what I'm going to capture, so I take lots of pictures with slight variations in camera position and angle. Every once in a while you get a good one. If I think the ride requires more attention, I just put the camera in my lap and get back to it when I'm ready. Even if I dropped it, it wouldn't go anywhere, it'd just dangle around on the tether or fall in my lap.

    And actually, Rich Loving inspired me on the neck strap thang.
    What's this button do?
  • patch29patch29 C|34N3R Atlanta, GAPosts: 2,928Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited January 12, 2004
    kbasa wrote:
    It's easy. I use an old credential neck loop. It has a nice clip on the end, which I attach to the wrist strap of my camera. I have a 'stich and just hang the camera in the big right hand pocket. I can reach it with my left hand and shoot while I'm riding down the road. I sort of guess about what I'm going to capture, so I take lots of pictures with slight variations in camera position and angle. Every once in a while you get a good one. If I think the ride requires more attention, I just put the camera in my lap and get back to it when I'm ready. Even if I dropped it, it wouldn't go anywhere, it'd just dangle around on the tether or fall in my lap.

    And actually, Rich Loving inspired me on the neck strap thang.

    I bought a neck strap for just that purpose. I just need to get out there and practice. The camera does fit well in my roadcrafter pocket.
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Posts: 15,471Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 12, 2004
    Watching Freak shoot in motion was an education. Going down the freeway, he gets ahead and then turns around in his seat to snap a pic. Nice bike... err I mean camera control.

    280860-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
Sign In or Register to comment.