Options

WTB: 85 mm 1.8

melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited October 6, 2006 in House of Canon
How much do these usually run you and can any of you show me some differences between this and the 50mm 1.8
Missy Ü

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    How much do these usually run you and can any of you show me some differences between this and the 50mm 1.8

Sharp and sharper:D
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins

well, I have the 50mm f/1.8. it's a great lens.
    let's see the difference - 50mm V. 85mm - - - the obvious difference is the mm count. there is quite a bit of difference between 50 and 85. now the only other difference - - - which in my opinion is one of the main issues for a lot of lens buyers - - - $70 V. $370. for me, the decision was easy.

you can go to pbase and go to the camera database for picture samples. but keep in mind, it's not always professional photographers taking those photos - and some amateurs don't know what they're doing - so they put everything and more on there - good photos and not. just something to remember.

good luck! let us know how you like your final decision!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    hi Melissa,

long time, havent heard from ya!
    The 85 mm is a very sweet lens! use it for indoor gymnastics, school events in the classroom, portraits etc.
    Its a lens I WSH I NEVER SOLD! ( about 4 weeks ago ).
    Its not a very sharp lens however...... ITS A SUPER SHARP LENS!

troy
  • Options
    melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    hi Melissa,

long time, havent heard from ya!
    The 85 mm is a very sweet lens! use it for indoor gymnastics, school events in the classroom, portraits etc.
    Its a lens I WSH I NEVER SOLD! ( about 4 weeks ago ).
    Its not a very sharp lens however...... ITS A SUPER SHARP LENS!

troy

Hey there Troy. Good to see you!

I keep seeing people using this lens and the results are awesome! I don't know how to justify a $300-$400 fee, though.

Is there a mid-range lens between the 50mm and the 85mm?
    Missy Ü
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    I don't know how to justify a $300-$400 fee, though.

I got one and probably the best lens in my bag. You could justify it easy.
  • Options
    ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006

No (as far as I know). The only lenses in between 50mm and 85mm are zooms that include some or all of that range (e.g. 18-70mm, 28-80mm, 70-210mm). None of those zooms are as fast as F1.8, so you need much more light to use them. The only exception is the 60mm macro lenses which are more expensive than the 85mm, but still not as fast. As far as image quality goes, the 50mm lenses are just as good as the 85mm. The differnce is that it's not really long enough to do stuff like live music or indoor spots. I think the 50mm is fine for a portrait lens, you just have to get a bit closer to your subject.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Hey there Troy. Good to see you!

I keep seeing people using this lens and the results are awesome! I don't know how to justify a $300-$400 fee, though.

A EF-S 60mm Macro makes a nice portrait lens, and is a killer macro capapble of 1:1 without adapters. Still the 380 dollar range, and only useable in an EF-S capable body.