Options

Kodak dx4900 camera dock insert???

pahprintspahprints Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2004 in Accessories
I just bought a Kodak DX4900 camera through e-bay. Nice camera, nice upgrade from my DX3500. I've been trying to locate a camera dock insert for this camera, but can't seem to find a supplier. Kodak links me to Rite2.com (or something), but the insert looks like the one I've already got. The DX4900 is shaped differently and I'm hesitant to buy it, sight unseen. Anyone out there have any idea where I can get one? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2004
    How about just buying a CF card reader and skipping the dock thing altogether?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    toolmantoolman Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    hmm
    I am just a newb, but my camera kodak dx6340 came with a plastic adapter i can put on the dock... I am guessing you might have adapter in you box and havent even noticed it.

I hope I am right...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    clap.gif Toolman, pahprints, welcome to dgrin! pahprints, I must say I agree - a Compact Flash card reader is easier to use than hooking the camera up to the computer - just pop the card out and stick it in the reader, nice and fast way to get your shots, and if you have a second CF card you can shoot and leave your first card in the reader. They'e cheap, too.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2004
    fish wrote:
    How about just buying a CF card reader and skipping the dock thing altogether?

Here's why - it's made Kodak #1 in US digicam sales in Q4 '03.

The aim-and-shoot digital line, launched in 2001, comes with a docking station that enables images to be transferred to a computer at the touch of a button. The cameras also can be hooked to printers that deliver 4-by-6-inch prints in 90 seconds.

Until a few years ago, ``the problem with digital photography was that it was very cumbersome and slow to get your prints,'' said industry analyst Ulysses Yannas of Buckman, Buckman & Reid in New York.

``What Kodak did, and it helped them a lot to gain this No. 1 position, is make it very easy. You take your photograph, press a button and it downloads all the photographs in seconds.''
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    toolmantoolman Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2004
    yeah, but my kodak does the same thing without the dock.
    I just plug it into usb and it does all on its own. In few seconds all the pictures are in kodak folder, assorted in subfolders by the date....
    Very nice feature....

I did hotice I can mark my pictures for e-mail, or print right on the camera, but I kinda find this pointless. I'd rather look at my pictures first on the big screen.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2004
    I guess a lot of folks don't want to hassle with a computer. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I guess a lot of folks don't want to hassle with a computer. ne_nau.gif
    probably right, which accounts for the new printers coming out with little LCD screens and cardreaders. I can't say I understand the concept very well, but apparently they're selling.

Another oddity (at least in my mind) is this thing:

a0a78e05-602a-4f77-984a-cceecca8f1db.gif

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=308863&pfp=BROWSE
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2004
    pahprints wrote:
    I just bought a Kodak DX4900 camera through e-bay. Nice camera, nice upgrade from my DX3500. I've been trying to locate a camera dock insert for this camera, but can't seem to find a supplier. Kodak links me to Rite2.com (or something), but the insert looks like the one I've already got. The DX4900 is shaped differently and I'm hesitant to buy it, sight unseen. Anyone out there have any idea where I can get one? ne_nau.gif
    As tool man said, why bother with the dock....if it is new then a USB cable will be in the box. I bought one a while back & it was there.