Options

Possible Travel Kit

ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
edited October 15, 2006 in Cameras
Sorry if this should be in the "gear" section, but I figured I should ask the people who know...

I'm going on a trip to India early next year, and because it's fun to fantasize about photo gear I've been trying to put together a kit in my head that will allow me to cover what I want (no regrets!), not be too heavy, and that I might actually be able to afford. Here's what I'm thinking...

D70 (it's what I got) + 4 batteries @ 31oz
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 @ 27oz (provided the reviews don't suck) w/ 1.4 TX
Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 @ 16oz
Tamron 90mm Macro @ 14.3oz
Nikkor 35mm F2 @ 7.2oz (I already have this - no way I'm not taking it)

Probably about 6 pounds (almost 3 kilos) all together. Thinking about sticking it all in a LowePro Orion AW and pretty much keeping it with me all the time for security and so I never miss anything.

I'll also take a SB-600 Flash, an external storge device and a cheapo (thus light) tripod - all of which will stay in the big backpack and get left behind while walking around unless I know I'll need them.

I figure this will allow me to get landscapes, architecture, indoor portraits, street scene/candids, pretty bugs & flowers and maybe even cool animals or birds if I get lucky. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Fred.
Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
http://esiggins.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    ESiggins wrote:
    Sorry if this should be in the "gear" section, but I figured I should ask the people who know...

I'm going on a trip to India early next year, and because it's fun to fantasize about photo gear I've been trying to put together a kit in my head that will allow me to cover what I want (no regrets!), not be too heavy, and that I might actually be able to afford. Here's what I'm thinking...

D70 (it's what I got) + 4 batteries @ 31oz
    Sigma 50-150 F2.8 @ 27oz (provided the reviews don't suck) w/ 1.4 TX
    Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 @ 16oz
    Tamron 90mm Macro @ 14.3oz
    Nikkor 35mm F2 @ 7.2oz (I already have this - no way I'm not taking it)

Probably about 6 pounds (almost 3 kilos) all together. Thinking about sticking it all in a LowePro Orion AW and pretty much keeping it with me all the time for security and so I never miss anything.

I'll also take a SB-600 Flash, an external storge device and a cheapo (thus light) tripod - all of which will stay in the big backpack and get left behind while walking around unless I know I'll need them.

I figure this will allow me to get landscapes, architecture, indoor portraits, street scene/candids, pretty bugs & flowers and maybe even cool animals or birds if I get lucky. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Fred.

Fred,

This looks like a good, well-thought-out list.

Your long lens is fast, but not very long. It sounds like you've been looking forward to this lens, though. You'll give up a bit of speed with the converter, but still be fairly fast. I would want something longer for animals and birds. I have a 300mm and it sometimes falls a bit short, but that's me.

I recently went on an epic journey like the one you're planning. I took a backpack similar to the LowePro and just loved it. Really handy, practical, safe. It's a great idea.

I didn't have a macro and wish I'd had one. I know you'll be glad you brought one.

The 35 f/2.0? What's to say? You're bringin' it.

Let us know how your plans firm up as you purchase items and get closer to leaving. Bon voyage!
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2006
    Tom,

Thanks for the encouragement - problem is, I know I won't ever be happy! rolleyes1.gif You're right that the 150 even with the 1.4tx isn't super long, but the longest lens I've ever had was a 210 so I don't really know what I'm missing. I did say I'd have to be lucky to get the wildlife shots. The new Nikkor 70-300 VR is a possibility, but I feel like the speed of the 50-150 will make it a much more versatile lens for when I get home. The AF needs to be fast on it, though. If not, it's a deal breaker. We'll see how the reviews stack up once they've both been on the market for a while. If anyone gets a chance to use either, please let me know how it goes.

There are many good reasons for the 35 F2. First, it takes beautiful, sharp pictures in situations where cats have to use a flashlight. The length is perfect for tight interiors - I'm thinking trains and huts and stuff like that. And, seeing as I'm trying to eliminate a midrange zoom from the kit to free up space, it fills the gap between the 10-20mm and the 50-150 nicely.

Where was your journey to? Got any pics to see?
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2006
    ESiggins wrote:
    Tom,

Thanks for the encouragement - problem is, I know I won't ever be happy! rolleyes1.gif You're right that the 150 even with the 1.4tx isn't super long, but the longest lens I've ever had was a 210 so I don't really know what I'm missing. I did say I'd have to be lucky to get the wildlife shots. The new Nikkor 70-300 VR is a possibility, but I feel like the speed of the 50-150 will make it a much more versatile lens for when I get home. The AF needs to be fast on it, though. If not, it's a deal breaker. We'll see how the reviews stack up once they've both been on the market for a while. If anyone gets a chance to use either, please let me know how it goes.

There are many good reasons for the 35 F2. First, it takes beautiful, sharp pictures in situations where cats have to use a flashlight. The length is perfect for tight interiors - I'm thinking trains and huts and stuff like that. And, seeing as I'm trying to eliminate a midrange zoom from the kit to free up space, it fills the gap between the 10-20mm and the 50-150 nicely.

Where was your journey to? Got any pics to see?

Sounds like you've got it down. Is the D70 a full-sized chip, or a smaller one like my Rebel XT? Looking at your lens choices, I didn't know if they were actual 35mm focal lengths or 1.6x conversions. . . . Pardon my ignorance.

100 years ago I had a Nikkor AI 35mm f/1.4. . . . Which I loved. Sold it to a friend and regret it to this day, so I know what you mean about that 35mm.

I've been an avid photographer since 1979, but I just purchased my first digital SLR only a few months ago. I went through a succession of digital point and shoots, but a trip to Australia convinced me I needed a proper camera.

I opted for the 17-85 IS (28-135) and a 75-300 IS (120-480). It's the first non-Nikon SLR I've ever owned. Both lenses are S L O W (4.0-5.6 & 4.5-5.6, respectively) but the image stabilization is fantastic. The glass is good, though I think it lacks the punch of Nikkor glass. I should qualify that by saying I've not shot any new generation AF-Nikkor stuff.

As long as we're crafting wish lists, I'm wondering what to add to my system. I have a SB 430 EX, but I'm hankering for a 100mm macro. I think it will give me a nice portrait lens (160mm), a faster lens (f/2.8) and a really cool macro that'll let me stand back a bit.

Anyway, if you want to see some pictures, I'm posting them now on the Journeys thread under "Australian Odyssey" or just go to my Australia Gallery to check out the first 1,500 or so shots I took with the camera! Not much art there, but some good representative photos. mwink.gif

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    Oh right, sorry, I should've recognized you from your Aussie posts. Those rock formations on the Great Ocean Road are a pain to shoot - the haze from the sea spray just makes it look flat. Convinced me to finally buy a polarizer.

My D70 is a crop sensor. As of yet Nikon hasn't made a full frame didital. Can you imagine a 10-20mm on a full frame? Wow, that's wide angle. So yeah, the 35mm ends up close to a standard 50 which is what I learned on and what I'm comfortable with, although I make my subjects a little nervous when I loom in for tight portraits.

Anyway, I think the 100mm macro would be a great addition to your kit. The other one to think about is the 85mm 1.8. When I was working for my college's student paper I convinced them to buy a first generation digital Rebel with kit lens, and fought really hard to get them to buy the 85mm too. They reluctantly agreed, but flipped out happy once they saw the shots. It was perfect for stuff like student gov't meetings in dark little rooms, live music and the basketball shots were great, too. Also a solid portrait lens and a really good deal. But no macro. But you prolly knew that...
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    ef85_18u_586x225.jpg

Mmmm. . . . Nice. It IS a deal. Something to think about. . . .

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    ONESHOTONESHOT Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    IMPORTANT.......DONT FORGET NEW FOR OLD INSURANCE,
    ITS A POOR COUNTRY AND YOUR FAIR GAME, I WOULD BE THINKING, WELL WHO'S WATCHING ME..JUST A THOUGHT FOR YA. LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE PICTURES YOU POST OF IT ALL........:jose
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2006
    ONESHOT wrote:
    IMPORTANT.......DONT FORGET NEW FOR OLD INSURANCE,
    ITS A POOR COUNTRY AND YOUR FAIR GAME, I WOULD BE THINKING, WELL WHO'S WATCHING ME..JUST A THOUGHT FOR YA. LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE PICTURES YOU POST OF IT ALL........:jose

Good call. Seeing as I'm planning on spending quite a bit on the gear itself, I'll definately want to spend the extra to get it all insured.