Options

FS: Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM

pmalandpmaland Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited October 9, 2006 in House of Canon
I'm looking to sell my 70-200 f/4L lens, and am asking $519 plus actual shipping costs. We have a 189 feedback score on ebay with 100% positive (I use my wife's account, jillchristina).

I bought it as a "new baby to take pictures of" gift to myself about 4 years ago. I've had a B+W UV filter on it since the first week: B+W filter at B&H

I'm including the leather carry bag that came with it, the lens hood, both lens caps and the B+W UV filter. The lens hood exterior has surface scratches from our tile countertops, but obviously doesn't affect the pictures. New, the lens + filter would cost $639.

98843637-L.jpg

97458630-L.jpg

98844207-L.jpg

Want more pictures? Here's more.

It takes excellent photos, but I bought the 70-200 f/2.8L IS a few weeks ago, so this one has to go.

- Phil
http://www.philmaland.com/

Comments

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Bump for some great product shots. Is that plexi it's sitting on? How'd you light it?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    He is right, some great product shots!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Bump for some great product shots. Is that plexi it's sitting on? How'd you light it?

Thanks. I've seen so many sloppy shots of stuff on ebay, it drives me nuts. My wife thinks I'm crazy for going to the trouble, but I figure it'll drive up the interest.

Yeah, I have a 3x6' sheet of plexiglass I shoot with kids mostly, but figured it'd look good here too. I have an Alien Bees B800 with a Photoflex large Litedome to the left, maybe 18-24 inches away. On the right I have a 39x72" Litepanel reflector (yeah, overkill for a lens, but it's convenient). Background and floor is my 9' wide superwhite paper from Savage, again, overkill, but it was already up from an earlier shoot.

Soooo, isn't it pretty? Wouldn't you like to own it? mwink.gif They seem to sell used for $500 - $560 on ebay, so this seems like it should be a fair price?

- Phil
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    I had a look at your galleries and found the same great lighting there, too. I'd love to own it - just don't have the funds for it. A macro is next on my list. One more question about the setup - do I barely see the transition in the second pic about halfway up the image where the plexi ends and the paper slopes upwards? Is there a way to deal with that? How do you like the AB? Looking into some of those myself. thumb.gif
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    I had a look at your galleries and found the same great lighting there, too. I'd love to own it - just don't have the funds for it. A macro is next on my list. One more question about the setup - do I barely see the transition in the second pic about halfway up the image where the plexi ends and the paper slopes upwards? Is there a way to deal with that? How do you like the AB? Looking into some of those myself. thumb.gif

Thanks! This lens didn't get much studio use. I have the 85mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8 that I mainly use. This was my outside lens, but wanted smaller DOF and less hand shake blur.

It's quite possible you see the far edge of the plexiglass. I only use plexi on a white background, so I can blow out everything behind the kid, and that hides the far edge pretty well. If I had a larger piece of plexi, that back edge would be even further into the light from the background lights, and would disappear even easier.

These shots were with just one light, and the lens was less than 4 feet from the backdrop, so it was hard to hide the edge.

Quite happy with the Alien Bees. I have three of them now, and only have one or two complaints.

- Phil
  • Options
    himanshuhimanshu Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2006
    interested in buying
    I am interested in buying this lens. I am not going to have internet access for the next few hours, may be till 5 pm EST or so. So, once I get back home and connect to the net, we can work the details.

Thanks,
    Himanshu
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    Still available
    himanshu wrote:
    I am interested in buying this lens. I am not going to have internet access for the next few hours, may be till 5 pm EST or so. So, once I get back home and connect to the net, we can work the details.

Thanks,
    Himanshu

He decided to buy new, so this is still available. Thanks!

- Phil