Grand Canyon Sunset spot

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited October 9, 2006 in Location, Location, Location!
The most popular location for shooting sunsets from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon is Hopi Point.

Transportation isn't a problem, they know it's popular and the buses line up to carry you away once the sun has set.

However, my image sucks, and I'll tell you why.

69635104-L.jpg

You have to get there early and pick the right spot. I got there early, but picked the wrong spot. You really need to pick the part of the fence that faces East, to get the best reflections. :doh

I know, I know. Obvious, huh? :bluduh

The reason why this matters is because once the witching hour gets close, the people really start packing in there. If you don't already have your spot staked out, you're out of luck. Like me. :bluduh

70330872-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Oh, well
    Yes, crowds in GC is one thing you gotta be prepared to deal with. All the sunset/sunrise spots are usually taken long beofre the Moment Of truth comes ne_nau.gif
    I'd say you got yourself a fairly decent shot nevertheless...thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes, crowds in GC is one thing you gotta be prepared to deal with. All the sunset/sunrise spots are usually taken long beofre the Moment Of truth comes ne_nau.gif
    I'd say you got yourself a fairly decent shot nevertheless...thumb.gif
    No worse than Yosemite, Yellowstone or even Death Valley when wildflower season is on. Unfortunately, crowds are inevitable during those summer months. I know for me, heading to the beach for a beautiful sunset in Laguna is a very difficult thing to do with the summer crowds. But, like they say, patience is a virtue, and so is finding a good spot early :):

By the way WXwax, FWIW, I like both pictures since they tell a very good story about your quest!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited July 9, 2006
    Not quite
    Pezpix wrote:
    No worse than Yosemite...
    GC is a fine example of the places where your main subject is on your level or below it. Hence, if there is anybody in front of you, near or far - you can't shoot...ne_nau.gif

Yosemite (and a lot of other places) is an example where you - mostly - shoot skyward. So it's usually enough to take a couple of steps back and thus avoid any heads in your frame...
    No pun, etc.... iloveyou.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Thanks, guys!

This just re-emphasizes something I've know for a while: find the good spots, then come back over and over until you get the right moment. This is why quick trips and photography don't really mix that well. One really needs to spend a lot of time in a location, to be there for the few minutes when it all comes together.

This is why the shots in the tourist shops are so good - the photographers have spent years at those places.

Patch and I visited a Moab photographer's shop. His Moab stuff was outstanding. He also had shots from trips to places like Thailand and Cambodia. Predictably, those shots weren't as strong. Same talented photog, but fewer opportunities to be in the right place at the right time, because he couldn't stay there long enough.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited July 9, 2006
    Ditto..
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, guys!
    This just re-emphasizes something I've know for a while: find the good spots, then come back over and over until you get the right moment. This is why quick trips and photography don't really mix that well. One really needs to spend a lot of time in a location, to be there for the few minutes when it all comes together.

This is why the shots in the tourist shops are so good - the photographers have spent years at those places.

Patch and I visited a Moab photographer's shop. His Moab stuff was outstanding. He also had shots from trips to places like Thailand and Cambodia. Predictably, those shots weren't as strong. Same talented photog, but fewer opportunities to be in the right place at the right time, because he couldn't stay there long enough.

That's exactly why I put this as a main motto for my website:
    "The art of photography mostly consists of being in the right place at the right time having the right equipment and the right attitude"
    Not that many people are able to be in that precise (and sometimes hard-to-reach) location at 4am day after day, season after season, year after year... :):
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    GC is a fine example of the places where your main subject is on your level or below it. Hence, if there is anybody in front of you, near or far - you can't shoot...ne_nau.gif

Yosemite (and a lot of other places) is an example where you - mostly - shoot skyward. So it's usually enough to take a couple of steps back and thus avoid any heads in your frame...
    No pun, etc.... iloveyou.gif

Funny thing is, I find myself working in an ever-increasing population in the field and to compensate, I actually find myself trying to intergrate the people into my work from time to time. It definately adds scale and sheer size of the landscape I am trying to interpret, and in some instances, makes the image even MORE dramatic thumb.gif

That being said, I still fear the crowds. I dread my upcoming wildflower trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado next week since I know the crowds will be very difficult until I get further into the back country.
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited July 10, 2006
    I agree
    Pezpix wrote:
    Funny thing is, I find myself working in an ever-increasing population in the field and to compensate, I actually find myself trying to intergrate the people into my work from time to time. It definately adds scale and sheer size of the landscape I am trying to interpret, and in some instances, makes the image even MORE dramatic thumb.gif

Used in moderation, people can be a great addition to a landscape:

72208475-L.jpg

72519929-L.jpg

Crowds, OTOH... well, I still need to see a good image of a crowded landscape...:D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, guys!

You must be talking about Tom Till's gallery, maybe??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    You must be talking about Tom Till's gallery, maybe??
    Yeah, that's the guy.
    Sid.
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    But you got there at the right time of day! That DOES mean something to you, right? So if the shot "sucks", suck on a nice cold microbrew (may I suggest an Oak Creek Nut Brown Ale?) and hey--at least you didn't fall off!
    thumb.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    The most popular location for shooting sunsets from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon is Hopi Point.

Transportation isn't a problem, they know it's popular and the buses line up to carry you away once the sun has set.

However, my image sucks, and I'll tell you why.

69635104-L.jpg

You have to get there early and pick the right spot. I got there early, but picked the wrong spot. You really need to pick the part of the fence that faces East, to get the best reflections. 11doh.gif

I know, I know. Obvious, huh? :bluduh

The reason why this matters is because once the witching hour gets close, the people really start packing in there. If you don't already have your spot staked out, you're out of luck. Like me. :bluduh

70330872-L.jpg
    Steve-o
  • pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I would recommend going to the North Rim - it's quite different but no less stunning. However, it is harder to get to, but the plus side of that is ... far fewer people.
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Especially in the Winter!
    pug8 wrote:
    I would recommend going to the North Rim - it's quite different but no less stunning. However, it is harder to get to, but the plus side of that is ... far fewer people.
    Steve-o
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, guys!

This is why quick trips and photography don't really mix that well. One really needs to spend a lot of time in a location, to be there for the few minutes when it all comes together.

How true, that's something I've learned the hard way, I'm never ready when the shot I want is in front of me. headscratch.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 9, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Especially in the Winter!

You can't get to the North Rim in Winter - the roads are closed due to snow, and I don't beleive thay are plowed. I doubt snowmobiles are allowed eitherne_nau.gif

I have not been to the North Rim since 1990 and is snowed the third week in June then .

The North Rim can be crowded in the summer, but I'll bet it is beautiful right now.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    good info to know, I'll be moving to Arizona in January and the GC is definitely on the list of "to visit" areas.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM