Options

UT vs. LSU Soccer

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited October 9, 2006 in Sports
Hey everyone! Last night I had my first chance to shoot soccer for my schools newspaper. I was a little scared at first because I know very little about soccer, even less about how to shoot it. I was also using a lens I've never used before (Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR) and had to learn how to use that too.

I do think I managed to get some decent shots, none are cropped because I hold the title for the worlds worst cropper. Every crop I do makes the picture look very bad, I know, you say it's not possible if the picture is good, but I manage every time! :scratch

The team started by coming out onto the field with high five's for everyone.

1.100629014-M.jpg

2. I would have thought hitting you head on a ball as hard as the ones they use would hurt like crazy, but it didn't seem to phase them.
100633981-M.jpg

3. Lots of challenges (I think that's the word) in the game, which made for good action.
100634137-M.jpg

4. 100634348-M.jpg

100634810-M.jpg

6. The refs would not call any fouls on LSU, but if our team even touched their player the whistle would blow!
100686396-M.jpg

7. It left a few of our players on the ground
100661952-M.jpg

8. We did end up getting a goal which lead to a big celebration.
100641659-M.jpg

9. And then another goal which made it 2-1 UT
100655588-M.jpg

10. Despite the intense game, sportsmanship was very present
100691305-M.jpg

Well thanks for taking a look, if you guys have suggestions on cropping or better ways to shoot let me know. If you want to check out the rest of the pictures you can see them here.

Also, anyone who has used the 70-200 VR, how do you hold it? I couldn't get it to feel right no matter what I did. I had my hand on the zoom ring for most of the game, but also tried holding the lens shade. I do however love this lens, and am now trying to find a way I can scrape together $1700 to buy one :huh

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Hi
    I shoot a lot of soccer and the best advice I got was this:
    "Shoot tight, crop tighter"
    "Ball, face, action, contact"

When cropping a landscape or a portrait, things like rule of thirds matter. When cropping a sports shot, the action is all that matters so crop right in to it.

Shoot from a position that minimizes background clutter whenever possible.
    Shoot from where youthink the action is likely to be most intense. I like to stand near the 18 yardline to stat - I pace lots too though. If the ref will let you, then try standing at the end of the field and get the action as it comes toward the goal. Do not make the mistake of standing right behind the goal though - the net is too overwhelming.

I shoot Canon, and use the 70 - 200 mm IS. I used to always shoot at f2.8 to isolate the subject. However, I've started using f5.6 - the sweetspot for the 70 - 200. The subject is still well enough isolated and the number of OOF or too shallow DOF shots are way down. I also shoot AI Servo, burst, center spot metering, CF4-3, if that means anything for you.

Anyway, I've blathered on without saying that you have some really nice shots here. clap.gif

Keep 'em coming. :ivar

ann
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2006
    Hey, thanks for the tips. One thing with cropping that I never know what to do is if I should crop for 8x10 or keep the proportions of the picture or to just crop to the action and pay no attention to the shape or size of the final shot. I don't plan on printing anything but all the pictures I shoot are for the University newspaper and would go into print there, but they don't usually stick to typical proportions.

About the settings, most of that makes a little bit of sense. I also shot AI servo, burst, center spot, but that CF4-3 must be a canon thing ne_nau.gif

I'm hoping to talk my editor into letting me do the rest (or at least most) of the next soccer games. I had a whole lot of fun shooting. Plus there was only 1 other photographer on the field, so it didn't get crowded arround the sidelines.
  • Options
    BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    I understand about the cropping issue, I received the runner-up award for the worst cropper. I liked the shots.

BUT I LOVED WHAT YOUR FOOTBALL TEAM DID TO THE UGA MUTTS!!!! GOOD OLE ROCKY TOP!
  • Options
    bigfredtnbigfredtn Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    UT Scott,

Where are they playing soccer at UT? I went to UT in the early 90's. I can not picture that field? Where is the field located?
    BigFredTN
    Memphis area (Wish I were back in East TN)
    Canon 30D
    Canon Digital Rebel 300D(My 1st DSLR)
    Canon G3 (a very good P&S)
    Canon 85 1.8
    Canon 18-55 kit lens
    Sigma 70-200 2.8
    Sigma 2x converter
    Tamaron 28-75 2.8
    Tamaron 17-50 2.8
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    bigfredtn wrote:
    UT Scott,

Where are they playing soccer at UT? I went to UT in the early 90's. I can not picture that field? Where is the field located?

I'm not sure if the field was there in the early '90s but it's down past Thompson Bowling Arena, behind the new frat row. Right beside the waste water treatment plant (makes for an interesting smell on the field).

And it was very awsome watching that UGA game! The headline for the school paper today says "Defeating the Dawgs" with an awsome picture of the celebration in Georgia.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    some advice
    Nice first try. You didn't say whether you've shot any other sports before, so I don't know what your sports shooting experience is. As you already noted, it's difficult to shoot a sport when you don't understand it. In general, the best sports shots will show peak action or peak emotion. As a sports shooter you need to anticipate either and be positioned for it.

In general, you did a decent job for never having shot the sport before. But, most of these shots are a bit out of focus and the timing is off. Timing will come with practice.

OOF also is a matter of practice, but also a matter of having your subject filling as muc of your frame as possible. With a 70-200mm lens you should be sitting at 200mm unless they are within 10 feet of you.

As another poster said, "frame tight, crop tighter". Now, having said that, 200mm is a bit short to shoot soccer with. A 200mm lens on a 1.5 or 1.6 crop factor body is good for about 30 yards of coverage which isn't much (a 300mm lens gives you about 40-45 yards coverage and 400mm gives you about 55-60 yards). So, if you're going to shoot with it, you have to be patient and wait for the action to come to you. Beyond those ranges, the amount of keepers (where you can crop down tight to the action) will really go down - you're just outside the range of the particular lens.

I also respectfully disagree about using 5.6 vs. 2.8. those extra 2 stops really help your image pop. Yes, it means you need to concentrate on your focus and tracking skills and you may have less keepers until you do, but the end result is that your keepers will be of a higher quality. A sharp photo at 2.8 within that 30 yard area will look better than a sharp photo at 5.6.

I would also suggest getting a 1.4x TC for that combo - especially with soccer, 200mm is a bit too limiting - you have to wait too much for the action to come to you. At least with football you can follow the line of scrimmage and stay close - not so with soccer.

As to holding the lens - hey, don't be afraid to use a monopod. All that matters is the end result - the quality of your photos. Don't' be mislead by people who say you should be able to hand-hold the lens. If using a monopod means steadier shots then by all means use one.
  • Options
    CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Great tips and advice John G, nice pictures for someone that doesn't quite understand soccer yet.
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.