Options

Australian Odyssey: Adelaide

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited October 10, 2006 in Journeys
Our drive along the Great Ocean Road led us finally to Adelaide. Although we had a hotel reservation, my cousin in Canberra insisted that we stay with her daughter in Adelaide. I had met each of them once, for about two hours, ten years ago, and they extended the warmest hospitality to us. Aussies are sure nice folks.

84560453-M.jpg

One of the highlights of Adelaide was a trip to a little German village called Hahndorf. Australia is filled with great little pubs; this was one of them, albeit a German pub.

84560417-M-1.jpg

I didn't find Aussie beer to be much different than premium American beers, though this Franziskaner was a different breed of cat altogether.

84560429-M.jpg

Hahndorf still life.

84560442-M.jpg

Lots of really cool, old buildings.

84560441-M-1.jpg

Part of their war memorial, this 35cm (nearly 10 inch) minenwerfer was captured in WWI. It could hurl a 140 lb. porjectile some 900 yards.

84560455-M-1.jpg

Their freeway speed limit signs are hard to miss. This one is, of course, in Kilometers per hour, which is about 62 mph.

Here are a few views from downtown Adelaide:

84560459-M-1.jpg

84560461-M.jpg

84573392-M.jpg

84573396-M-1.jpg

84573388-M-1.jpg

And a few of St. Peter's Anglican Cathedral.

84573406-M.jpg

84573411-M.jpg

84573403-M.jpg

84560388-M.jpg

I like this environmental portrait of my cousin, Venessa. This is in one of Adelaide's oldest pubs. I didn't order any, but I did try Venessa's kangaroo. It was pretty good, heavily marinated. I can scratch that one off my list.

That's it for our short stay in Adelaide. It was another beautiful city, and there was quite a bit more to see. If you're interested, the rest of the pictures are here.

Thanks for reading. C & C welcome. Next stop: Perth!
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• Options
    ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Oooo, I love Franziskanner. I drank a lot of it when I was in Gemany and the bartender at my local pub was nice enough to give me a glass like the one in your pic as a souveneir. I like your shots of the monuments and satues and stuff. Can't wait to see your West Coast pics - it's the only bit of Oz I've never been to.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    ESiggins wrote:
    Oooo, I love Franziskanner. I drank a lot of it when I was in Gemany and the bartender at my local pub was nice enough to give me a glass like the one in your pic as a souveneir. I like your shots of the monuments and satues and stuff. Can't wait to see your West Coast pics - it's the only bit of Oz I've never been to.

Yeah it was a tasty brew to be sure. I only had the one. . . . Maybe I'll see if I can find it here in an import shop.

Perth and the Southwest tour are next. Took a TON of pictures there, so be careful what you wish for.

Thanks for your interest.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    . . Maybe I'll see if I can find it here in an import shop.

You never know. It's easy to find in the North East, but liquor laws are so strange most places. Until very recently in NC this kind of beer was illegal because the alcohol content is too high. Never understood the logic of that - you could buy liquor and wine no problems, so what's wrong with 8% beer?
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com