Popular Seattle view

2»

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    My favorite is the spotting scope. Definitely not the usual shot from that location. Since the sky isn't very interesting, I'd rather see more city and less sky in the others. And it's always too bad when the mountain isn't out.

Some day I want to get back there with some time and my dSLR....
    Chris
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    My favorite is the spotting scope. Definitely not the usual shot from that location. Since the sky isn't very interesting, I'd rather see more city and less sky in the others. And it's always too bad when the mountain isn't out.

Some day I want to get back there with some time and my dSLR....

Thanks! The spotting scope was an idea I originally had when taking somewhat similar sunrise photo at Alki.

66259500-M-1.jpg
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    mmm, I love Alki sunrises thumb.gif

38582992-L.jpg
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • rmeriklermerikle Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2006
    Kerry Park is a great place
    I'll have to post a copy of the shot I got at Kerry Park. It took me about a year of trying off and on until I got just the shot I was looking for. It is getting a little late in the season for this shot, but it is still possible.

What I find works best is being ready when the weather is right. When the weather is right I start watching the horizon about sunset. If out west you get a nice red glow at sunset then you know the view should be pretty good up at Kerry park. I also like going on week nights so that the buildings downtown have lights on. Make sure you get there early enough. To capture the details in the background you don't want it to get to late and have no light in the background. At least in my opinion this is the biggest thing I see people doing wrong. About the time I am finishing up I am always amazed at how many people are just starting. It is a great shot and well worth the effort.

The next shot I am trying to get is Reflection Lake up at Mt. Rainer. I found out this season that you need to be up there before sunrise to get a really good shot. That is really early in this guy's book.

For some great Seattle locations visit my site at

http://nwphoto.gorgeousphoto.com

The photo I use as a banner is from Kerry Park.

If someone can arrange a meetup I would be interested. Keep me informed.

Robert
    edited October 4, 2006
    Here is a copy of my photo

Seattle-Skyline.jpg
    edited October 4, 2006
    Here is another one of my favoriate Seattle Photos

Seattlewaterfront.jpg
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    rmerikle wrote:
    Here is another one of my favoriate Seattle Photos

Seattlewaterfront.jpg

That's pretty cool. Did you take that from Myrtle Edwards Park? If so, how long of a lens did you use?
    edited October 4, 2006
    Yes, I took it from Myrtle Edwards Park. I took it with a digital camera that I no longer have, so not sure on the focal length. If I remember correctly it was a 10X lens and the way the photo is somewhat compressed, I would guess it was on the longer side of that.
  • yusiayusia Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 10, 2006
    Autumn views?
    Just joined the forum.
    Could anybody recommend a place in/close to Seattle with a great autumn views (lots of yellow/red/gold)? I am new in Seattle, and so far did not find anything like that.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    yusia wrote:
    Just joined the forum.
    Could anybody recommend a place in/close to Seattle with a great autumn views (lots of yellow/red/gold)? I am new in Seattle, and so far did not find anything like that.
    In-city, the best place I've seen is the Washington Park Arboretum. You can also take a nice drive around Lake Washington Blvd. There are some really bright Japanese Maples, but not a lot of quantity.

Other than that... there really aren't a huge number of deciduous tress; it's not called the Emerald City for nothing! You never come close to the color you get in the Appalachians. You can get bits and pieces of color, but not huge swaths.

Welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif
    Chris
  • yusiayusia Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 10, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    In-city, the best place I've seen is the Washington Park Arboretum.
    Wow, thank you for the fast reply!
    I will check it out today!