Options

monopod with those pull and stick legs?

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited October 11, 2006 in Accessories
is there such a thing as a not too expensive monopod, goes up to at least 6 feet, I'm 6'2", and allows for a relatively good head to go on it, and with those legs that the manfrotto tripods have that you pull them and they stay. does anyone have experience with those? do they work well?

well, I hope I'm not asking for the holy grail here, just interested in getting a good monopod for vacations and stuff.

thanks!!!

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 10, 2006
    Take a look at the sticky above. Also, use the search feature to find
    topics where monopods are discussed.

That said, the Bogen monopods are most popular and at around 60 bucks
    (or less), considerably cheaper than most others. And they're great build
    quality too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Been very happy with my Monfrotto 680B, built like a tank, and I bought the 3232 swivel head, and that works fine.

5535.jpg
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 10, 2006
    The pull and stick is the Manfroto Neotec. I have one and I love it. As for the head, I added the 322RC2. It is not a cheap setup. I also use the neotec tripod to complement and I swap the head between the 2.

I am 5'9" and the setup gives me plenty of room to use without stooping. I am sure that it would go the extra few inches without a problem.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Man I guess im a big ol' cheapie, lol.

I have a 10 year old monopod I use to go on hikes. Its all aluminum and it takes a beating.
    It has a cheapo removable plate, but it works great for what I need to do with it (keep the camera steady and ward off angry beavers).

I think I would rather spend more on a great tripod than on a monopod.
    Have you tried looking into buying some 'Dynatran' monopods on Ebay?
    Its basically an adjustable stick, just buy a good head for it.
    They even offer CF ones and they're cheap. So if you lose it or break it or get it stolen, its not a big loss, especially when you're travelling.

But hey you're mister baller with the QX4, Laughing.gif, if you can afford the good stuff from the get-go it may save you time and money from buying them all in the long run. ;)

Its really up to your budget.
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    Have you tried looking into buying some 'Dynatran' monopods on Ebay?
    Its basically an adjustable stick, just buy a good head for it.
    They even offer CF ones and they're cheap. So if you lose it or break it or get it stolen, its not a big loss, especially when you're travelling.

I bought one of the CF ones from dynatron, think I paid $45 for it...its alright, but you get what you pay for.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Are you talking about the Giottos P-pod monopod like seen here?
    http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~5838~categoryid~180.html

I own one of these and use it regularly as a monopod. I've never had the occasion to use the small legs which attach and make it a mini tripod. I would probably be too nervous to attach my heavy and expensive D2X to this setup. I just use my tripod when I need one.

All in all, the p-pod was a good value. It is a little heavy, but is a well build monopod.