Options

Help organizing site

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited October 13, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I am getting ready to upgrade to a Professional account as I am planning on "trying" to sell sports (mostly bicycle race) photos.

My current problem is organizing folders - I do not have enough sub folders to allow enough seperation of racing groups:
http://www.kirkfamily.smugmug.com/

Currently this is my layout:
1. Main page - Sports

2. under Sports I would like to sub catorize by year 2005, 2006, 2007 so
on

3. Under year would be the race names this is where I run out of sub's -
at each race there are different divisions - I need one more sub catory -
ie, beginner, sport, expert, pro, womens - Cat 5, cat 4, cat 3, etc.
Right now I just lump all photos together, but it makes it tough for
someone to search thru 250-500 photos

Is there a way to add anogther sub catagory or a different way to organize my layout to better suit my needs. I tries searching thru other smugmug accounts, but couln not find any

Michael

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Here is my suggestion.

Category - BMX Racing

Sub Categories - Date & Race name (i.e. 10-07-06 Rickwood)

Gallery - Classification of race and age (i.e. Beginner age 10, Expert age 16, etc)

Hope this helps.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    I think that's about all that can be done.

If you're careful about naming, you can set the subcat page to sort descending, thus showing the most recent event first. So a reverse date format (2006-10-11) would be necessary.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2006
    Thanks
    I was actually playing around on my account yesterday and figured out a pretty decent way - not the best, but the best I could figure out.
    I removed one layer (subcatagory of year) and combined the year into the main gallery category. Now the sub-category will be the race event name and the gallery will be the sub-divisions of the racers. All I will need to do now is every year add a new year gallery on the main page - 2007 Sports
    http://www.mlkimages.smugmug.com/

Thanks for the advise,
    Michael

I think that's about all that can be done.

If you're careful about naming, you can set the subcat page to sort descending, thus showing the most recent event first. So a reverse date format (2006-10-11) would be necessary.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2006
    Linky no workee. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2006
    It will work now
    There the link will work now. I just upgraded my smugmug account and changed the name.

Michael
    Linky no workee. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2006
    Looks good. That organization works.

One thing I noticed was the locked Family section. I have a similar area for family, however I've set those galleries up as private, then put them all into a shargroup. I've sent everyone an email with the sharegroup link. So, family goes directly there & other visitors to the site are non the wiser that those galleries even exist. Something to think about.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2006
    Thanks
    Good suggestion - I just need to find some time to get a bit more involved in it. Your site looks great!. I started to work on a custom header and saw I needed my own banner. No clue how to make one so I stopped my customazation right there. I'll need alot more time to do some research on how to customise my site - probably happen over the winter(hopefully).

Thanks again for the help,
    Michael

Looks good. That organization works.

One thing I noticed was the locked Family section. I have a similar area for family, however I've set those galleries up as private, then put them all into a shargroup. I've sent everyone an email with the sharegroup link. So, family goes directly there & other visitors to the site are non the wiser that those galleries even exist. Something to think about.